Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you like me, who have owned an MY or M3 and are used to the phone key…. Are you going to use the X fob?

For experienced X owners or better yet X owners that also have a MY/M3, what are advantages of fob over phone key?

I have to say I have really gotten used to not carrying a fob around with me.

For those of you like me, who have owned an MY or M3 and are used to the phone key…. Are you going to use the X fob?

For experienced X owners or better yet X owners that also have a MY/M3, what are advantages of fob over phone key?

This will be my first Tesla but I’ll weigh in here. Never having to carry around a key fob again is what I’m looking forward to the most…. I’m a minimalist and hate having things in my pocket. I’ve been carrying around fobs since I started driving and I can’t wait to never do it again.

This will be my first Tesla but I’ll weigh in here. Never having to carry around a key fob again is what I’m looking forward to the most…. I’m a minimalist and hate having things in my pocket. I’ve been carrying around fobs since I started driving and I can’t wait to never do it again.
I've been renting a car for the last few weeks and the key fob has been the most annoying thing. Also, walking away from the car without locking it. I really miss my phone key.

I had a '17 X. Will be using the fob. I like being able to summon out of my garage (tight fit - falcon wings will open, but have to do the override). 10K for a small QoL ...alas.
That said, I don't actually use the fob for the plaid S. No need.

Reactions: croman

I've got a 2016 X and just rented a Y while I was on vacation out in LA for the Super Bowl. I think the big difference is that all four doors can be controlled, fully opened and closed with the fob. If phone key works well with self presenting front door for the driver, phone key might work for when it is JUST the driver using the X, but when you have passengers, the keyfob has always been pretty important in the role of opening and closing doors for me - and also makes riding in the X feel like they are getting chauffeured for passengers. I might just take my phone with me if I go run a quick errand, but when I take the whole fam with me, I think I might still bring the key fob.

I've got a 2016 X and just rented a Y while I was on vacation out in LA for the Super Bowl. I think the big difference is that all four doors can be controlled, fully opened and closed with the fob. If phone key works well with self presenting front door for the driver, phone key might work for when it is JUST the driver using the X, but when you have passengers, the keyfob has always been pretty important in the role of opening and closing doors for me - and also makes riding in the X feel like they are getting chauffeured for passengers. I might just take my phone with me if I go run a quick errand, but when I take the whole fam with me, I think I might still bring the key fob.
Honestly, after 24 hours, I prefer the fob to the phone. I’m used to using the phone as a key due to having owned an M3, but the fob works so much better for the self-presenting door.

As far as the yoke goes, it took me approximately 5 minutes to get used to it. Now I prefer it as it’s so much more comfortable than a regular wheel. We are all different though so some of you may feel different.

The fob is simply quicker - press whatever buttons you need. With a phone, you have to: 1) unlock the phone, 2) go into app, 3) possibly navigate menu, 4) perform task. The fob is guaranteed to work (phone could possibly not work if Tesla's network is down).