Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. I want the headlights way more than rear changes or new charging port. Headlights are a big safety benefit and you can't rely on Tesla to actually make a retrofit. They have issues delivering on anything even if you've paid for it. They're just not trustworthy.

Radar has been awesome and getting rid of it is pure hubris. I also occasionally need more than 80mph on some highways and vision is more limited than radar (period).
Radar can't distinguish between an overhead pass vs a tall truck. I trust Elon's decision on that. Hence all the phantom braking problems. Since I received FSDbeta, my phantom braking events have decreased 80%.

Did you see that the new EDD for a LR Model X - black interior - 5 seats - 20'' is May 2023 in USA (but January 2023 for 22'' or order interior colors)?? My order is Feb 21 for a LR - 7 seats - 20 '' but in Belgium (Europe)... of course no EDD... I don't think I'm gonna see my X in 2022... 😭😭

Radar can't distinguish between an overhead pass vs a tall truck. I trust Elon's decision on that. Hence all the phantom braking problems. Since I received FSDbeta, my phantom braking events have decreased 80%.
I'm no expert, but this just seems like a case of Elon/Tesla pushing ahead, stubbornly, with what they believe is best. Meanwhile, literally every other autonomous driving company you see testing cars on public roads is utilizing a robust (and ugly) suite of sensors that clearly goes well beyond just visual. Call me cynical, but I just find it hard to believe Elon/Tesla knows something all these other companies (who also employ really smart people) don't know. 🤷‍♂️

I'm no expert, but this just seems like a case of Elon/Tesla pushing ahead, stubbornly, with what they believe is best. Meanwhile, literally every other autonomous driving company you see testing cars on public roads is utilizing a robust (and ugly) suite of sensors that clearly goes well beyond just visual. Call me cynical, but I just find it hard to believe Elon/Tesla knows something all these other companies (who also employ really smart people) don't know. 🤷‍♂️
Just received Fsd beta 10.10.2 on my M3 ‘18 and it’s pretty darn good but not perfect. It still struggles in busy complex areas.

I see lots of Waymo cars driving around western San Francisco which is generally the easier sections for those not familiar. I’m guessing Tesla fsd is already matching Waymos performance in those types of areas. Not to mention that cars that look like waymos will never be scalable to general customers because of aesthetics and cost.

Reactions: T3slafan2500
Just received Fsd beta 10.10.2 on my M3 ‘18 and it’s pretty darn good but not perfect. It still struggles in busy complex areas.

I see lots of Waymo cars driving around western San Francisco which is generally the easier sections for those not familiar. I’m guessing Tesla fsd is already matching Waymos performance in those types of areas. Not to mention that cars that look like waymos will never be scalable to general customers because of aesthetics and cost.
Don't get me wrong, I would love for Tesla's approach to work, largely for aesthetic reasons. I'm just not convinced it will, especially given the approach of numerous competitors. Hope to be proven wrong!

Reactions: Elixir
How do these other companies with smart people, and their drive assist software, compare to the most basic Tesla autopilot?

Reactions: T3slafan2500
You do realize that it's been happening with the Model 3/Ys that DON'T have radar as well, right?

I will say this regarding autopilot vs FSD as I has FSD in my M3 and now I’m back in the queue for it with my MX.

Autopilot still has a lot of phantom braking compared to FSD, although I’ve only experienced it on the highway (most dangerous place). It requires pressing the accelerator to pass green lights and confuses blinking yellow lights for regular ones so it slows quickly which could potentially cause a wreck. With FSD, green lights were never a problem and it never confuses blinking yellow lights for regular ones.

I will admit that I’m sooooo glad I got FSD now that I’ve seen where we were before FSD. It’s autopilot on steroids and a must-have.