Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Delivery scheduled for tomorrow a.m. at my house. Tesla said we need to submit payment before they can deliver the car. I told them I would prefer to wait until I looked over the car and accepted delivery. They said this could pushback by delivery date.

It appears the general consensus is not to submit payment until you actually accept delivery. Correct?
Correct. I received my delivery on Monday before I made the final payment. You can check the vehicle from the outside however you have to make the payment before you unlock the car.

Got a call from Tesla yesterday evening canceling my delivery for today. According to them the car is still in transport and hasn't even arrived to be inspected by the delivery center. I asked them if this was the case, why they kept bugging me yesterday for payment if they knew the car wasn't even in my State. No response from Tesla.

They moved my delivery date out two weeks but said I should have it sooner than that. They estimated it would take them 2 days to inspect the car once it arrives.

What's the working theory on why most of the EDDs moved to July? Are they missing components again or it's just a subset of reservations (e.g non-plaid OR 5/7 seat etc).

We need a car by fall and my current EDD for a 5 seat is July 2022. I have 0 confidence that will happen especially for a 5 seat but I'm curios if there's a small chance it will be September / October OR most likely in 2023.

I think I need to put in a reservation for another car soon, I was looking at an Audi Q8 and even for those you can barely find new ones that will arrive sooner than August / September at this point.

Reactions: IAMCCF
What's the working theory on why most of the EDDs moved to July? Are they missing components again or it's just a subset of reservations (e.g non-plaid OR 5/7 seat etc).

We need a car by fall and my current EDD for a 5 seat is July 2022. I have 0 confidence that will happen especially for a 5 seat but I'm curios if there's a small chance it will be September / October OR most likely in 2023.

I think I need to put in a reservation for another car soon, I was looking at an Audi Q8 and even for those you can barely find new ones that will arrive sooner than August / September at this point.

No one has any clue about 5 or 7. Until Tesla opens up, you'll never know a real ETA but ignore the EDD.

This is anecdotal, but my GMC Yukon Denali using radar cruise control is much smoother than my P100D was. No phantom braking. It speeds up and slows down appropriately. I had all kinds of phantom breaking issues in my P100D. I realize that is not addressing the root concern here, which is radar. That said, even with radar, my Tesla struggled. Without radar, I imagine it will be even worse.

I see this as an attempt to widen profit margins. Sure, it gives Tesla an opportunity to continue to develop all the software and hardware behind FSD, but why else would you remove radar, when it clearly is beneficial in certain circumstances?
How is the steering? I didn’t mean cruise control. How does it respond to other cars? Does it try to avoid accidents? Does it see pedestrians?

Last edited:
Sure radar will give you better “vision” through rough weather but the goal here is to prepare the car for most situations most of the time, not edge cases all of the time, and more importantly to identify intelligently the object, velocity and so on. If object is identified as a human (erroneously) you want the car to err on side of caution. With time, and increased leviathan of data, you’ll see the Nets will learn to identify better.
Living in coastal New England where rain squalls, ocean effect snow can pop out of nowhere. All year some kind of edge cases exist here. That's why FSD is a no go for me till they make it a bulletproof system. But once they do have a bulletproof system Elon has promised to price it out of reach for regular people. Already $12K is too steep for my blood.

My educated guess based on the data we have is that they moved everyone to July to minimize the 'EDD jump' we were experiencing every month. We've already seen quite a bit of folks in the last week get a VIN even though they had July. I got my VIN earlier this month when my EDD said April (a few days before it jumped to July I believe). So there is hope you'll get yours BEFORE July. But again, this is a 'guess' and not an official Tesla comment.

EDIT: I would add that the current average wait time is 13 months. So, if you ordered in July 2021 for example, I wouldn't bet getting it before July unless production ramps up. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that everyone as of today, will get theirs after an 11-13 month wait.

Reactions: Hebert and Kitt9000
My educated guess based on the data we have is that they moved everyone to July to minimize the 'EDD jump' we were experiencing every month. We've already seen quite a bit of folks in the last week get a VIN even though they had July. I got my VIN earlier this month when my EDD said April (a few days before it jumped to July I believe). So there is hope you'll get yours BEFORE July. But again, this is a 'guess' and not an official Tesla comment.

EDIT: I would add that the current average wait time is 13 months. So, if you ordered in July 2021 for example, I wouldn't bet getting it before July unless production ramps up. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that everyone as of today, will get theirs after an 11-13 month wait.
But you're in Cali, so that logic goes out the Window. Could be any day!

• Funny
Reactions: 1pinhigh
I will say this regarding autopilot vs FSD as I has FSD in my M3 and now I’m back in the queue for it with my MX.

Autopilot still has a lot of phantom braking compared to FSD, although I’ve only experienced it on the highway (most dangerous place). It requires pressing the accelerator to pass green lights and confuses blinking yellow lights for regular ones so it slows quickly which could potentially cause a wreck. With FSD, green lights were never a problem and it never confuses blinking yellow lights for regular ones.

I will admit that I’m sooooo glad I got FSD now that I’ve seen where we were before FSD. It’s autopilot on steroids and a must-have.

im glad to hear this. im from houston too, was skeptical for FSD due to phantom breaking. Was on the fence on keeping my fsd option as i still have the option to cancel. I guess i'll keep it, thanks!

Reactions: Stro
That’s the bet He is willing to take. Bold but a bet nonetheless. Honda can equally bet on hydrogen, which in principle should work better, but unfeasible for wide scale adoption.
Hydrogen is a non-starter. First you expend more energy than an EV by using petroleum to actually create the hydrogen, which is supposed to replace petro fuels in the first place-- even before you cart that dangerous liquid around the country and into the bombs on the underside of the hydrogen cars. Then when hydrogen catches fire, you can't even see the invisible flames on the poor slob drivers clothing. Oil companies know you need lots of petro to create hydrogen, therefore they are all for it, to the tune of millions of dollars in advertising and cooperation with companies like Toyota and Honda.