Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you guys financing, are you waiting until you have a VIN to apply for the Tesla financing? My March 8-31 range is approaching, but I'm not sure I believe it yet, so I'm inclined to wait. But will I not be assigned a VIN if I haven't completed that task?

Rivian has 7,500 tax credit, so take that into account. Big negative for Rivian is that they dont have heat pumps...so if you live in a cold area like MA, you might want to think twice. The Rivian is also less efficient...you will be burning a lot more kw/h and without a charging network
Definitely appreciate this insight. I also ordered an RS1 - now it sits at $97k - almost identical to my early 2021 ordered MX. Rivian's refundable $1000 deposit will likely come back to me soon. I am waiting for MXLR 5-seater - long wait probably (longer than 6 and potentially longer than 7).

In working with Rivian, it definitely makes me appreciate Tesla; Tesla is willing to honor pricing from more than a year before potential purchase - after price changes. Although, Rivian's price increase does seem to be primarily from a change in supported configurations.

Definitely appreciate this insight. I also ordered an RS1 - now it sits at $97k - almost identical to my early 2021 ordered MX. Rivian's refundable $1000 deposit will likely come back to me soon. I am waiting for MXLR 5-seater - long wait probably (longer than 6 and potentially longer than 7).

In working with Rivian, it definitely makes me appreciate Tesla; Tesla is willing to honor pricing from more than a year before potential purchase - after price changes. Although, Rivian's price increase does seem to be primarily from a change in supported configurations.
Great observation. My R1S order went up by over $18K. My main burn was that items in the initial configuration for the R1S are now "options", like the 4 motors, which is the primary reason for the significant cost increase. The other item that was hard to understand is the additional cost for the interior color scheme. Surely Rivian knew if a particular color was more expensive to produce and it wasn't just a revelation to them.

Based on Rivian's stock price in today's trading, they are going to need to be in serious damage control mode.

Reactions: SubtractEm
Idk what your history is but I have had a Volvo XC40 Recharge (EV) for 4 months now and have received 2 OTA updates that have added features and fixed bugs. Plus, Volvo does this crazy thing where they email you to tell you what's coming in the release with a link to release notes. As opposed to Tesla where you are rolling the dice every time.

The BMW iX gives you the choice of BMW's UI, Apple, or Android. That level of choice is awesome.

Bottom line is that your quip about other manufacturer's UIs getting stale is simply wrong.

Finally, based on the complaining here on TMC about the v11 UI changes, rapid UI updates are not a benefit to everyone.

As for charging. Yes, it is currently a problem. Tesla recognized early that they needed to solve that problem in order to get mass adoption. However, it's not 2012 any more. The charging gap is closing rapidly. I also think that Tesla will be changing to CCS in the near future which is why we are seeing the larger charge port doors in the new taillights. Once that happens, the SC network will be opened to everyone. It will become a cash cow for Tesla while also dramatically improving the charging landscape for non-Teslas.
Correct, it is from my experience I feel this way, and from that the built in manufacturers systems (I’ve recently in the last 5-6 years had Lexus, Benz, and currently drive an acura and bmw in the family) and the manufacturers, at least these ones have not done much to advance their existing systems beyond updating maps, even that is infrequent. Yes they have enabled apple CarPlay/android auto, but that is just an interface implementation on their part and apple/google doing all the work with updates. I’m always worried if apple ever changes or tweaks their CarPlay interface/code, these legacy manufacturers may not keep up without delays, breaking carplay in the meantime. This happened w my Acura around time of iOS 13 or iOS 14 release at one point and was very frustrating w CarPlay crashing until an update was released by Acura maybe a month later. Even with bmw, the idrive version that their cars comes with stays the same pretty much throughout the life of a car.

Having said that I do love apple CarPlay and it’s the only thing that has not aged in my current bmw and Acura. And I am sad not to be able to use Waze in my my upcoming tesla. We know Tesla keeping theirs cars updated in terms of software and features is something tesla is known for and it’s one of their advertising points and owners likes compared to traditional cars, something I see an advantage in and was simply pointing out.

It does sound like Volvo maybe is more proactive in updating their cars, that is really good to hear and I appreciate you sharing as I do not have any experience with Volvos cars but have heard good things about them.

Last edited:
Reactions: strider
Thoughts on this? Matrix headlights going into the new X? Has this been confirmed ?

Attachments

• 5B2CEFA2-E94C-421A-B66B-0E3E173E49D2.jpeg
    5B2CEFA2-E94C-421A-B66B-0E3E173E49D2.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 108
Finally picked up my Plaid after a year and 6 days of waiting! Vehicle arrived in ATL yesterday and was built Feb 4th so took over 3 weeks just to get it here from the west coast.

Had some issues - broken trim in the driver door handle and the 2nd row driver side seat is locked up and won’t move forward/back. Service scheduled for Monday.

Other than that I’d say definitely worth the wait, the thing is nuts!

As for charging. Yes, it is currently a problem. Tesla recognized early that they needed to solve that problem in order to get mass adoption. However, it's not 2012 any more. The charging gap is closing rapidly. I also think that Tesla will be changing to CCS in the near future which is why we are seeing the larger charge port doors in the new taillights. Once that happens, the SC network will be opened to everyone. It will become a cash cow for Tesla while also dramatically improving the charging landscape for non-Teslas.

Not closing. Widening at an ever faster rate. There are ZERO deployments of other charging options that would be considered reliable and convenient enough to take long multi thousand mile road trips. DC faster charging deployments that have 1 or 2 stations do not count because you can't rely on them like gas stations like you can with superchargers.

Great observation. My R1S order went up by over $18K. My main burn was that items in the initial configuration for the R1S are now "options", like the 4 motors, which is the primary reason for the significant cost increase. The other item that was hard to understand is the additional cost for the interior color scheme. Surely Rivian knew if a particular color was more expensive to produce and it wasn't just a revelation to them.

Based on Rivian's stock price in today's trading, they are going to need to be in serious damage control mode.
I cancelled my Rivian R1S order since the move yesterday of such a major price increase makes me worried about their management and therefore their future - to have misjudged pricing so much where your negative gross margin is so poor gives me pause. If it was a $100 deposit then I would probably wait and see but the deposit is enough where I don't want to throw it away if something happens to them. So I will wait for a couple years to ensure they can get a consumer product into mass production and then reconsider. They really had seemed to have learned from others with their comments over the last couple years but once they went public and tried to produce cars, you see a lot of issues with the company.

Reactions: T3slafan2500