Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker here. Ordered Oct 11th. Got Vin'ed early Feb and got my plaid X on March 5th at 1:30PM. And after only a day, literally 24 hours later. At 1:30 March 6th, the FWD broke down. The joint part didn't assemble well I guess. When I tried to open the FWD for my wife we heard a loud sound and then a piece of plastic dropped off the roof. And then we found out the roof cracked opened. That's where it holds the joint of the FWD. My wife was pissed. An almost 140k worth of vehicle has worse quality than her Toyota Rav 4. And my friends were also making fun of the 140k car that only lasted for ONE day. The service told us it's gonna be a while since they have to order parts from CA. We're so frustrated at this point that we just told them to keep the car and we can have our money back. But was told that was not the option. Seriously. Who could've imagine that. We should've gone with X7 or a Cayenne. We will probably still ending up selling the car when we have it back. The quality issue is unbelievable at this price point
Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer...

I believe Tesla eliminated their 7-day return policy, and I don't think you have a legal case to force them to take the car back. A car should not break down in its first 24 hours, but 💩 happens. That's really unfortunate.

I would start by insisting - politely but firmly - that Tesla repair all damage. If you're truly no longer interested in the car, I suspect you will be able to resell it at a profit once it returns from service.

I think it's fair to post about your experience but I would also stick to the facts and not speculate beyond that.

Sorry this happened and good luck.

I see way too many stories like this and tbf it really has me scared. This will be my first Tesla and my first EV in general. I already had to work hard to sell my wife on getting this thing in the first place... had to convince her to try the Yoke... then Tesla removed creep mode and I had to talk her off the ledge and convince her to try regen driving.... But I think if something like that happens it will be 3 strikes and I'm out lol.
I used Creep mode for years in my S90D and S100D. Now that I have a 2022 Model S, I honestly haven't even missed it.

Seems on deliverys last week or so that they ramped up production by double and that eat up this waiting list much faster than my former calculations.
Maybe we get ours to Europe before end of year push 2024...... and hopefully loaded with matrix and 4680... interior smelling unicorn fart or so...
I don't care for excuses - this is crap all around, but especially after such a long wait it's just unacceptable. There's lemon laws for this kind of stuff.

Best of luck in getting this resolved - hopefully quickly and to your satisfaction.
What’s a shame is that when the car isn’t screwed up it’s such an awesome vehicle — none of the others you mentioned are even remotely in the same league as the MX … I say that as a new MX owner with more issues than I should have to deal with, but nothing like yourself….Tesla is just a horrible company with amazing product design. Usually it comes together, sometimes it doesn’t. Either way the customer counts last.

What you and your wife have is 'luck'. Hearing about these things are pretty rare, especially since its so bad that the people that have this happened squawk pretty loudly. Much louder than those whose cars are perfect and we never hear from them again.
We would bring that to more audience if we could. But today is the grand opening day of our new business. We don't really have that much time for that

I used Creep mode for years in my S90D and S100D. Now that I have a 2022 Model S, I honestly haven't even missed it.

Yeah I personally love it.... My wife absolutely can't stand it. We have rented a few Tesla's for extended periods of time and she can't deal with it... She just promised that she would give it another chance and give it a little bit of time. I just don't understand why Tesla randomly removed it on 2 of their cars... Just another of their head scratching moves. I get that they want people to use regen, but they should keep the option there for those transitioning from ICE cars.

Got buried but a question on changing financing.

Once VIN’d When is a good time to change from cash payment to do credit app and add a trade in? Should I wait for delivery to be scheduled?
I got VIN’d on Mar 5, EDD just changed to Mar 12-18, no delivery time scheduled yet.

I have received more communication from Tesla in the last few days than I have the entire year I’ve been waiting. Of course all of that communication was “hurry up and get financing” and “hurry up and get insurance uploaded” messages, sometimes 2-3 per day, but its something. I just received a call from Tesla a few minutes ago asking if I’d be interested in trading in my current car as prices are going up.

To answer your question, as soon as you get VIN’d I think you’re good to get the ball rolling on all that stuff.

Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer...

I believe Tesla eliminated their 7-day return policy, and I don't think you have a legal case to force them to take the car back. A car should not break down in its first 24 hours, but 💩 happens. That's really unfortunate.

I would start by insisting - politely but firmly - that Tesla repair all damage. If you're truly no longer interested in the car, I suspect you will be able to resell it at a profit once it returns from service.

I think it's fair to post about your experience but I would also stick to the facts and not speculate beyond that.

Sorry this happened and good luck.
I asked a couple of the SA's to just keep the car and I can just have my money back. Since we've only driven 110 miles. They all told me that's not an option for them to do that. Me may sell the car when we have it back and we are going to make sure that they repair all the damages that caused by that.

Based on the standard East-West movement of EDD windows + VINs of the last few weeks (with order dates into April of 2021 getting some love), it seems unlikely my 5/31/21 order in Austin will make it in at this point. Hopefully shortly after March, though, given the recent uptick!

Reactions: jbrowdy
I drove by the factory on Saturday and the loading lot was packed and I saw quite a few model X’s as well. Couldn’t take a picture as I was driving and entering the freeway.
I wondering if they are missing components of some sort. Ford is having similar issues with its Broncos and other vehicles.