Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Repeat message - I would like your help please.

I just got a change in my delivery date from July to the second half of March. This is a 5 seater LR (see my signature for details.) No VIN has been assigned.

My question: I might want to put the car on hold - when in the process is the best time to call and put on hold? After VIN assignment or before?

What is the longest hold that you think I can get away with - I want to shoot for November 1st, if that's possible (so that would be a 7 month hold). I had previously read that the new policy is a 90 day maximum hold - anybody get away with more than that recently?
Tesla recently changed their rules on holds to be a max of 3 months. Some people have used various excuses to extend it a month or so beyond, but they are very picky now. So beware. And it wouldn’t be your VIN held but your position. So wait to put on hold until you are about to take delivery to maximize your hold time.

Off topic. Sorry but quick question. I’m buying the model X. Debating buy vs leasing the fsd. When I decide to trade my car back to tesla for newer one, will they include full current value of fsd to my tradin value? If so kinda a no brainer to buy fsd vs lease right? Providing I am in fact selling back to tesla or private so the fsd sticks with car.
Tesla claims they give you nearly full value of what you paid during trade-in. I call BS on that. But for my personal experience, I had paid 2k for it. Too little to be able to tell.

• Informative
Reactions: lsds and John in LB
I have the same question. But to avoid getting stuck in the permanent EDD TBD, I dare not to even ask about it. Even without that discount, we're getting the car $18,000 (plus tax) cheaper than the current price.

Though this price difference might be exactly the reason why we're not getting them, currently being stuck in July.
It is exactly the reason why 2020 in early 2021 orders are not being built. Tesla raise the price to increase profit margin not to cover cost. Cracking out plaids in weeks and delivering them while year-long orders sit lingering. My model X long range five seater is going to cost $87,000. Same configuration order today $105,000. Tesla is all about the math.

No difference
Tank is right, but if we’re going to split hairs/worms (ha ha), depending on your build date, you might be missing the ability to push the the center of the yolk to engage the horn. November builds and newer will have that ability with a software update. Take the car.

So, @TallBill might miss out, but he’s apparently 6’9” and probably has the hands of an NBA player. He’ll be able palm the right side of the yolk like Lebron to toot.

For those in with the July Plaid delivery dates or in general, how often before did yours move earlier?
I got moved to July earlier this year. I then had a three week window in February that turned back to July. That window popped up sometime in January. Unfortunately, during that time in which I had a delivery window, I applied for a loan, which has now expired.

Now I am back to having a window in the last week of this month, but no VIN yet.

I got moved to July earlier this year. I then had a three week window in February that turned back to July. That window popped up sometime in January. Unfortunately, during that time in which I had a delivery window, I applied for a loan, which has now expired.

Now I am back to having a window in the last week of this month, but no VIN yet.
That is similar to my story but my end of March delivery disappeared last night. Now I have no date. Ridiculous how bad this delivery has been.

I’m going to suggest something.
Elon, get rid of SAs. Seriously. They are useless. I have nothing against them — typically very nice people, but useless. Idk why Tesla has these vestiges. Again, seriously.

Replace SAs with a well informed customer service hub that is skilled in accurate communication.

I think you are missing the point. The SA provides a way to shield Tesla from its customers. Their job isn’t to actually provide any service to the customer except for the initial and final part of the transaction. I’m sure the customer to rep ratio for Sa’s is pretty darned high.

It is exactly the reason why 2020 in early 2021 orders are not being built. Tesla raise the price to increase profit margin not to cover cost. Cracking out plaids in weeks and delivering them while year-long orders sit lingering. My model X long range five seater is going to cost $87,000. Same configuration order today $105,000. Tesla is all about the math.
They are making bank and hundreds of thousands of Model 3's and Y's, I doubt a few dollars on a couple thousand Model X's makes much of a difference to Tesla's bottom line.

Tesla Model S and X Plaid tracked at Giga Shanghai ...

Attachments

• tesla shanghai.jpeg
    tesla shanghai.jpeg
    17.4 KB · Views: 103
  • tesla x shanghai.jpeg
    tesla x shanghai.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 78
I think you are missing the point. The SA provides a way to shield Tesla from its customers. Their job isn’t to actually provide any service to the customer except for the initial and final part of the transaction. I’m sure the customer to rep ratio for Sa’s is pretty darned high.
This video explains their role to a T!

Thank you for the tacos! And yes, it’s always great to put faces with our online names.

On the way to meet @retco i had to stop at a supercharger. I hadn’t realized how congested they’ve gotten since the last time I used one as I usually charge at home. This supercharger competitive advantage is slowly going away. Waiting for a spot sucks.
Thank you for the tacos! And yes, it’s always great to put faces with our online names.

On the way to meet @retco i had to stop at a supercharger. I hadn’t realized how congested they’ve gotten since the last time I used one as I usually charge at home. This supercharger competitive advantage is slowly going away. Waiting for a spot sucks.
The charger doesn't know what the wire size or breaker size is. It has no way to tell. It will attempt to pull what it was designed for, aside from temperature sensing and/or voltage drops. You have a Gen 1 version, so 40A is what it was designed for. Next time it charges use your App and look at the starting voltage and AMPs. About an hour later, assuming its not near fully charged, look again. If you see a noticeable drop in voltage and/or amps, then outlet and/or breaker and/or wires are heating up too much, thus creating resistance. Hopefully all is great
Tesla recently changed their rules on holds to be a max of 3 months. Some people have used various excuses to extend it a month or so beyond, but they are very picky now. So beware. And it wouldn’t be your VIN held but your position. So wait to put on hold until you are about to take delivery to maximize your hold time.

Tesla claims they give you nearly full value of what you paid during trade-in. I call BS on that. But for my personal experience, I had paid 2k for it. Too little to be able to tell.
Hey, can tell how many mile per hour the car charge , and if u using wall or the 14-50 ?thanks

Off topic. Sorry but quick question. I’m buying the model X. Debating buy vs leasing the fsd. When I decide to trade my car back to tesla for newer one, will they include full current value of fsd to my tradin value? If so kinda a no brainer to buy fsd vs lease right? Providing I am in fact selling back to tesla or private so the fsd sticks with car.
In getting quotes from four companies besides Tesla for my 2018 5-seat MX it seems the others don’t get you credit for FSD as their quotes are so much lower than Tesla

They are making bank and hundreds of thousands of Model 3's and Y's, I doubt a few dollars on a couple thousand Model X's makes much of a difference to Tesla's bottom line.
Actual data evidence from the spreadsheet here shows they’re roughly delivering in order with some random exceptions that might be logistics related or someone who cancelled with similar config etc.

I view plaid and LR as separate lines and the line only counts if they’re making your config at all (5/7 seat not being made yet for example). There is no grand conspiracy that tesla is screwing over early orders at wide scale.