Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted yesterday that I received my VIN (7SAXCBE68NF3377XX). Very exciting! With that, and a realistic delivery date range (3/23 - 3/31), I started looking at the tracking spreadsheet to see how my VIN compared to others. I copied and pasted the VIN info from the tracking spreadsheet into my own spreadsheet as to not disturb the entries. After a lot of clean-up, I determined my VIN was the most recent in the sequence. Good news, but how recent was my X built?

I called the number provided on an earlier post (510) 249-3500, Vehicles, New Deliveries, then said "Build Date" when prompted. A nice SA answered the phone. I provided my reservation number. She paused. Long pause. Then she put me on hold. Then came back with the answer. My car does not have a build date yet. It is still in production and may be waiting on parts.

With my delivery being in Southern California (Buena Park) it is possible I may get my car by 3/31, but that is really pushing it. I'm definitely not getting it 3/23.

I posted yesterday that I received my VIN (7SAXCBE68NF3377XX). Very exciting! With that, and a realistic delivery date range (3/23 - 3/31), I started looking at the tracking spreadsheet to see how my VIN compared to others. I copied and pasted the VIN info from the tracking spreadsheet into my own spreadsheet as to not disturb the entries. After a lot of clean-up, I determined my VIN was the most recent in the sequence. Good news, but how recent was my X built?

I called the number provided on an earlier post (510) 249-3500, Vehicles, New Deliveries, then said "Build Date" when prompted. A nice SA answered the phone. I provided my reservation number. She paused. Long pause. Then she put me on hold. Then came back with the answer. My car does not have a build date yet. It is still in production and may be waiting on parts.

With my delivery being in Southern California (Buena Park) it is possible I may get my car by 3/31, but that is really pushing it. I'm definitely not getting it 3/23.
In my experience, when you get the link to schedule a delivery appointment, that means the car is done being built and is on the logistics lot to be transported down. That is how it was explained to me for my LR Model S from last year, and I don't know if anything has changed, but I reckon it is still good information!

For those that were interested in my MXP in the KC area, (@femsoj & @babadoc) I had to cancel the order late yesterday afternoon. I received a text from Tesla stating that if I didn't schedule the delivery date by 5pm yesterday they were going to deliver to someone else, so I cancelled. I'm sorry that we couldn't have hooked up sooner to save you some $'s.

I find it strange that the first text from Tesla came late Sunday afternoon and I had about 24 hours to schedule delivery or they were going to pass me over. To make things even more odd, I went to the SC Sunday evening to look for the car and while there were MXP's in other colors there weren't any red ones!
Thanks for the update.

• Informative
Reactions: Great White
Hi all, long time lurker, waiting like everyone else for almost a year now. Just got a VIN assigned yesterday, but it's a 2021 VIN. I confirmed build date was back in October 2021 and thinking hard about declining delivery to wait for a 2022 VIN. Am I crazy? Does anyone know how the declining process goes and what happens to our place in line if we do so?

For those that are concerned, just magically go on long vacation when you get a delivery window. During EOQ push, someone else will be happy to take your VIN. You can put your order on hold.

Hi everyone!

I ordered Jan 2021, MX LR 5 seater. Just got VIN yesterday with EDD of 3/24-4/3. Was wondering - is it possible to reset the driver details to someone else's name even though we've already filled out the details? Initially I was going to buy the car but now my family member will be buying it. I sent an email to [email protected], hoping they can accommodate this request but I've heard conflicting reports, would love to hear what you guys think just for my peace of mind.

Same issue for me. Worked for a couple days and then stopped opening when pressing charger button.

Mine has the new charging port.

Opens from app, touchscreen and when pressed manually. Charger is good as it opens port on my MY.

Either a faulty charging port or software issue.

Mobile service coming on Friday.

At bit of an update on this. Mobile service still scheduled for Friday.

I messaged them this morning letting them know I had the new/updated charging port.

A few hours later I had software 2022.8.2 pushed to my car. I feel the push is related to my issue because I have only had the car 10 days. Never received an update on a new car so quickly.

We’ll see. Could be a random update. I installed remotely but won’t get back in town and able to test until Thursday night.

For the antsy ones like I am, I called Fremont, where I'm taking delivery, and they said the car still hasn't finished being built. That can at least give you a sense of build dates, but VINs are not truly sequential anyway.

510-249-3500 / Vehicles/ New Deliveries / Response: "build order date" got me to a good dude.
I could not resist and called myself to find out about the status of my vinned car - actually, I wanted to find out the date of birth of my car. I got a similar answer, as follows:
  • The vin is preproduction, so car is not assembled yet (that usually just takes a couple of days.)
  • Asking about my EDD, ending on March 31 to SoCal: He indicated, while possible, inspections of these cars have been taking longer than normal and that he personally would not be surprised if it is delayed a week or so.
  • Finally, I asked why are they having a hard time with Model X fabrication (as compared to the other models)... He had a very interesting answer: The X was always hard to build. These same issues also happened during ramp up in 2015-2016. WOW, I was stunned, this guy has been around during both ramp ups and gave me a solid perspective. I was not impacted by these issues when I purchased my 1st X in December of 2017. This answer really made me appreciate that what we ordered is truly the modern version of the Fabergé egg of cars...

...But tapping throttle does not teach the car to handle locations better. It used to be very inconsistent. These days you can typically see why it brakes. Usually merges. Shadows, bridges, Sun have very little impact these days. And your foot didn’t teach it that.

You realize this has hilarious possibilities! I have been tapping the throttle of my new Y to the beat of: "Guru ft Donald Byrd - Lounging"... Of course, my car learned the beat... and now drive's itself to this particular rhythm!!! Of course, it did not stop the F--King phantom braking, but now my car marches to the beat of a different drummer!!!

Hi all, long time lurker, waiting like everyone else for almost a year now. Just got a VIN assigned yesterday, but it's a 2021 VIN. I confirmed build date was back in October 2021 and thinking hard about declining delivery to wait for a 2022 VIN. Am I crazy? Does anyone know how the declining process goes and what happens to our place in line if we do so?
I got a call earlier this year asking if I would take delivery of an Oct 21 build and I said I would wait. Still sitting on a July EDD though :(

It's been a week since I took delivery so I wanted to stop back in and give everyone an update.

I've found a few issues with my X and have a service appointment to hopefully remedy all of them. As a first time Tesla owner, the scheduling of the service through the app took a bit to figure out but I think I've figured it out. The biggest issue is a part of the drivers seat has a piece that's poking up, not sure if it's a seat heater line or what but its a little sharp though I don't really feel it sitting down.

I LOVE THE YOKE. Seriously, I probably complain about little things too much but this thing fits my driving style perfectly. I haven't had any instances where I tried to grab the top of the steering wheel or even reach for the stalks for a blinker. My work has a parking garage and haven't had any low speed awkwardness issues like some have reported having.

I installed the EVOffer Electric Frunk kit last night. I'm pretty handy but it was a little confusing. They definitely need a few more pictures and be more specific in where to mount/run things. If you do it yourself, getting the power from the jump point is pretty difficult unless you have smaller hands. I'm not saying to have your kids do it but maybe think about it haha. There's a pretty sharp piece of metal I thought for sure was going to cut my wrist at some point so that was fun. Also noticed that I only had 5 of the 8 bolts for the Frunk. It's secure but I still would rather have all the bolts lol.

The speed of the LR is plenty fast enough for me. I'm no Ricky Bobby but I do enjoy a quick vehicle, this one is silly fast and I can't imagine Plaid.

Those of you who have your X or another Tesla, is there a way to keep the Radio/Spotify from playing when you walk by your car? Or have it delayed until you actually sit down in the vehicle? I listen to podcasts and they will just start playing when I get close to the car sometimes.

I also wish there was a way to still use the Theater from the front seats to control it for the rear seats. I don't mean to watch it up front while driving, but with small kids, I wish my wife or passenger could get something going on the rear screen while in drive without having to bend around to the back to select it.

Still waiting on a software update from 2021.43.201.

I've owned nearly every brand of vehicle and this one is by far my favorite to drive and own. The wait sucks but the car is awesome. If you have any questions or want any pics of anything let me know.
No issues with the frunk kit and the new battery?