Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TLDR: Took delivery of my Tesla Model X LR 5-seater on Monday and I love the car! Things definitely could have gone smoother, but overall it's an amazing car and totally worth the wait! Good luck everyone!

Monday (Mar 21): In the morning (~8AM PT), I got my VIN and an updated EDD of Mar 22-28. Shortly after (around ~10AM PT, I got a text that said I could schedule my home delivery (only option) and I selected the earliest day, which was Thursday (Mar 24) in the afternoon. I completed all the tasks including paying off my car in the app in the evening.

Tuesday (Mar 22): In the morning (~10AM PT), I get a text that said my car is ready for delivery and if I wanted to move my delivery date up. I said "YES" and my home delivery go updated to Tues (same day!) from 4PM-8PM. At this point, I was super excited to be getting the car early and cleared out my schedule. The car arrived around ~5:45PM PT and I was able to check the inside and outside of the car for about 10 mins before the drivers Uber arrived to take him back to the Sunnyvale dealership. He told me that my Model X was the first X he has delivered - he's been mostly delivering 3s and Ys. Car was delivered with 34 miles (28 was what was filed with the DMV) and build date of "3/22" on the door panel. Overall, I'd say the delivery experience was a 6 out of 10 - home delivery was convenient, but the car had some issues and wasn't clean (see pros/cons).

Wednesday (Mar 23): I wasn't able to schedule my service appointment on the app and I needed a NEMA 14-50 plug, so I decided to drop by the Sunnyvale Service Center. Earliest service date was April 19 - not ideal, but none of my issues are that bad so I was okay with it. The funny thing is that I enjoyed Weds more than Tues! There is just something about being on a car lot with other beautiful cars being picked up by happy customers! I still remember picking up my Porsche Macan in 2014 and it was a great experience! I spent about 20 mins just taking pictures of my car (sorry there's some glare in the photos because it was really bright sunny day!) and walking the lot and looking at all the other Teslas. For folks that are curious, I saw about 6 Model X on the lot (out of maybe 100 cars?). 2 in the front being picked up (Red Plaid, Gray 5 seater) and 4 in the back being inspected - I hope 4 people on TMC gets their Tesla @ Sunnyvale soon!

Pros and cons
Cons - let's start here first:

1. One small dent and one small scratch on the outside, but barely noticeable. Some small panel gaps / misalignments? But honestly, I normally would have never noticed - I only looked super closely since there has been a lot of horror stories about Tesla. 😅 Overall, I thought it was fine.
2. A few black smudges on the white rear panels. Driver side seat also had some black / jean fade on it. I picked up some Miracle Whips on Amazon and will try to see if I can get them out.
3. Overall, car was kind of dirty - it seems like it was washed very nicely about ~1 week before I got it. Lots of smudges and debris inside (which is very noticeable on white seats), sticky residue on the windshield, and there was a layer of dust on the outside. I think it's been on the Sunnyvale lot for a while for its inspection. This annoyed me more than I expected since the car didn't "feel new." But at the end of the day, not a big deal.
4. Biggest issue - Driver side FWD's sensor was not working properly - it kept detecting something was there even though there was nothing there. It would refuse to open or open only like 1/4 of the way. I was able to override it to ensure the FWD worked and that it wasn't chipping any paint. This was by far the most annoying thing. I feel like this is something they couldn't have missed in the inspection right? Hate to be a cynic but almost feels like they said "well, it's going take us a while to fix this, so let's just deliver it so we make our EOQ quota and they can schedule a servicing to fix in April."
5. When I tried to schedule a service, I couldn't do it from the app - when it was looking for a service time slot, it kept saying "Connection Failed." This was kind of annoying. So I ended up going to the Sunnyvale Service Center (about ~5 miles away) to schedule.

Pros - with all of the cons, I have to say the car is amazing and is 100% worth the wait!
1. Home delivery was very convenient - the Tesla driver showed up at 5:45PM for a 4-8PM window. I had about 10 mins to review the car with him around (honestly, he knew very little about the car) before his Uber showed up. I had another 1.5 hours with sunlight to inspect the car. Would I do home delivery again? Maybe. Home delivery is convenient but I kind of like being on the car lot!
2. Yoke is interesting. After driving about an hour with it (~20 miles), I am like 80% used to it? The missing top of the wheel and signaling is a little weird, but I feel like I will be used to it in about a week. What is taking me longer to get used to is 1 pedal driving since this is my first Tesla.
3. Car is amazing! There are so many things that I love about the car:
- I love the White seats! They just pop and look so fresh. I know I will need to maintain them, but I am ready for it
- Love #TeamBlue and the 22s! The 22s stand out a lot compared to the 20s in-person and was worth the upgrade. At first, I was a bit worried that the 22s would be a rough ride, but with the suspension on Comfort, it is a really smooth ride.
- FWD - I hate that the sensor is not working, but they look amazing and I love how you can walk through the back seat when both are open.
- The big screen and tech - spent ~1 hr and still haven't set-up / gone through everything yet!
- The new interior - I really love the new interior, e.g., wireless charging, center console screen, lots of storage space, etc.
- App controls - my first Tesla, so impressed you can lock the doors, open the doors, turn the A/C on, see the cameras, etc.
- Road noise - I think the cabin is pretty quiet - either on par or just slightly loader than my Macan.
- Overall build quality - before my home delivery, I was SUPER worried about all the defects that I had seen on this forum and other places. But honestly, I didn't find much. When I accepted my Porsche, I spent 10 mins inspecting. I've probably spent 1-2 hours inspecting my Tesla? With that kind of scrutiny, I feel like you will always find something. Outside of the stupid FWD sensor, I think the overall build quality was much better than what I was fearing - still not as good as the German OEMS, but a lot better than I was expecting.

Attachments

• 20220323_163121.jpg
    20220323_163121.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 20220323_162055.jpg
    20220323_162055.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 20220323_162903.jpg
    20220323_162903.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 20220323_162445.jpg
    20220323_162445.jpg
    727 KB · Views: 89
  • 20220323_162245.jpg
    20220323_162245.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 20220323_162326.jpg
    20220323_162326.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 20220323_162213.jpg
    20220323_162213.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 20220323_162359.jpg
    20220323_162359.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 20220323_162523.jpg
    20220323_162523.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 20220323_162534.jpg
    20220323_162534.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
My February 9 2021 order, October 13 2021 build, 2021 model year Model X 6 seat refresh field model in Red/cream with 20” and FSD was finally delivered today in Plano Texas. Traded in my temporary CPO 2018 Model X 5 seat.

Happy to say it is PERFECT in every respect inside and out. Paid cash and trade. Was in and out in an hour. Nice delivery guy helped me go through the Model X check list we have here. Dozens of Teslas being delivered today here. Mine had 164 miles on it so apparently some extensive testing as it must have been one of the first built. Downloading a software update at the moment. Came with 2021.43.101.2. Uploaded 2021.43.201 now. This is the most beautiful, tech sophisticated, comfortable, fast, amazing machine I have ever experienced. Comments on the ride, sound, yoke, settings later after getting some sleep and charging.

TLDR: Took delivery of my Tesla Model X LR 5-seater on Monday and I love the car! Things definitely could have gone smoother, but overall it's an amazing car and totally worth the wait! Good luck everyone!

Monday (Mar 21): In the morning (~8AM PT), I got my VIN and an updated EDD of Mar 22-28. Shortly after (around ~10AM PT, I got a text that said I could schedule my home delivery (only option) and I selected the earliest day, which was Thursday (Mar 24) in the afternoon. I completed all the tasks including paying off my car in the app in the evening.

Tuesday (Mar 22): In the morning (~10AM PT), I get a text that said my car is ready for delivery and if I wanted to move my delivery date up. I said "YES" and my home delivery go updated to Tues (same day!) from 4PM-8PM. At this point, I was super excited to be getting the car early and cleared out my schedule. The car arrived around ~5:45PM PT and I was able to check the inside and outside of the car for about 10 mins before the drivers Uber arrived to take him back to the Sunnyvale dealership. He told me that my Model X was the first X he has delivered - he's been mostly delivering 3s and Ys. Car was delivered with 34 miles (28 was what was filed with the DMV) and build date of "3/22" on the door panel. Overall, I'd say the delivery experience was a 6 out of 10 - home delivery was convenient, but the car had some issues and wasn't clean (see pros/cons).

Wednesday (Mar 23): I wasn't able to schedule my service appointment on the app and I needed a NEMA 14-50 plug, so I decided to drop by the Sunnyvale Service Center. Earliest service date was April 19 - not ideal, but none of my issues are that bad so I was okay with it. The funny thing is that I enjoyed Weds more than Tues! There is just something about being on a car lot with other beautiful cars being picked up by happy customers! I still remember picking up my Porsche Macan in 2014 and it was a great experience! I spent about 20 mins just taking pictures of my car (sorry there's some glare in the photos because it was really bright sunny day!) and walking the lot and looking at all the other Teslas. For folks that are curious, I saw about 6 Model X on the lot (out of maybe 100 cars?). 2 in the front being picked up (Red Plaid, Gray 5 seater) and 4 in the back being inspected - I hope 4 people on TMC gets their Tesla @ Sunnyvale soon!

Pros and cons

1. One small dent and one small scratch on the outside, but barely noticeable. Some small panel gaps / misalignments? But honestly, I normally would have never noticed - I only looked super closely since there has been a lot of horror stories about Tesla. 😅 Overall, I thought it was fine.
2. A few black smudges on the white rear panels. Driver side seat also had some black / jean fade on it. I picked up some Miracle Whips on Amazon and will try to see if I can get them out.
3. Overall, car was kind of dirty - it seems like it was washed very nicely about ~1 week before I got it. Lots of smudges and debris inside (which is very noticeable on white seats), sticky residue on the windshield, and there was a layer of dust on the outside. I think it's been on the Sunnyvale lot for a while for its inspection. This annoyed me more than I expected since the car didn't "feel new." But at the end of the day, not a big deal.
4. Biggest issue - Driver side FWD's sensor was not working properly - it kept detecting something was there even though there was nothing there. It would refuse to open or open only like 1/4 of the way. I was able to override it to ensure the FWD worked and that it wasn't chipping any paint. This was by far the most annoying thing. I feel like this is something they couldn't have missed in the inspection right? Hate to be a cynic but almost feels like they said "well, it's going take us a while to fix this, so let's just deliver it so we make our EOQ quota and they can schedule a servicing to fix in April."
5. When I tried to schedule a service, I couldn't do it from the app - when it was looking for a service time slot, it kept saying "Connection Failed." This was kind of annoying. So I ended up going to the Sunnyvale Service Center (about ~5 miles away) to schedule.

Pros - with all of the cons, I have to say the car is amazing and is 100% worth the wait!
1. Home delivery was very convenient - the Tesla driver showed up at 5:45PM for a 4-8PM window. I had about 10 mins to review the car with him around (honestly, he knew very little about the car) before his Uber showed up. I had another 1.5 hours with sunlight to inspect the car. Would I do home delivery again? Maybe. Home delivery is convenient but I kind of like being on the car lot!
2. Yoke is interesting. After driving about an hour with it (~20 miles), I am like 80% used to it? The missing top of the wheel and signaling is a little weird, but I feel like I will be used to it in about a week. What is taking me longer to get used to is 1 pedal driving since this is my first Tesla.
- I love the White seats! They just pop and look so fresh. I know I will need to maintain them, but I am ready for it
- Love #TeamBlue and the 22s! The 22s stand out a lot compared to the 20s in-person and was worth the upgrade. At first, I was a bit worried that the 22s would be a rough ride, but with the suspension on Comfort, it is a really smooth ride.
- FWD - I hate that the sensor is not working, but they look amazing and I love how you can walk through the back seat when both are open.
- The big screen and tech - spent ~1 hr and still haven't set-up / gone through everything yet!
- The new interior - I really love the new interior, e.g., wireless charging, center console screen, lots of storage space, etc.
- App controls - my first Tesla, so impressed you can lock the doors, open the doors, turn the A/C on, see the cameras, etc.
- Road noise - I think the cabin is pretty quiet - either on par or just slightly loader than my Macan.
- Overall build quality - before my home delivery, I was SUPER worried about all the defects that I had seen on this forum and other places. But honestly, I didn't find much. When I accepted my Porsche, I spent 10 mins inspecting. I've probably spent 1-2 hours inspecting my Tesla? With that kind of scrutiny, I feel like you will always find something. Outside of the stupid FWD sensor, I think the overall build quality was much better than what I was fearing - still not as good as the German OEMS, but a lot better than I was expecting.
Congrats on the new ride! Thx for such an informative review coming from a first time Tesla customer like yourself. Sad to hear about the FWD...Total BS and they know it. It would be impossible for them to miss this on inspection. It's like the number one thing to check for!! They just wanted to move the car out this quarter. Sounds like an easy fix. I probably would have went ahead and taken delivery like you did as well. I bought my M3 LR going on 4 Years ago and never regretted it and think you'll feel the same about your MX. I have the white interior on the car I have now and ordered the same configuration with the new MX that's on the way. My white seats still look like new ones except for an ever so slight blue ink residue on the drivers side where I have gotten in and out of the car. This happened gradually after nearly 4 years of use. Just be careful with any dark blue jeans you wear - especially if they are new and haven't been washed. Having said all this, you'll absolutely love the white seats! For the new one I'm getting, I'm going to either do a seat cover on the lower part of the two front seats for protection (only the lower because I detest car seats) or do a ceramic coat on the two front seats. I have to do more research on the interior ceramic coat - not completely sold on it yet. I would definitely recommend something to protect at least the driver side from seat bottom on such an awesome car. Happy driving!

I do wonder how self reinforcing the build quality stuff is. What I mean by that is that most of us are obsessed with examining the car for hours looking for flaws following a multi page checklist. I never did that with my Nissans or Infiniti. Years later I’ve checked them and they do have inconsistent panel gaps - is everyone holding Tesla to a higher standard than every other manufacturer?

I’m pretty sure that the other manufacturers aren’t cranking out perfect pristine cars either.

Now FwD not working correctly etc is obviously a unique tesla issue since they’re the only ones who use such complicated doors - but if the model X didn’t have them would it still be the Faberge egg?

I didn't say other cars don't have issues but the The panel gaps and misalignment is being complained about since the original model S.
I guarantee you that if Tesla had a traditional dealer system those issues would not exist.
Why? because dealers are charging the manufacturer when servicing the car and the manufacture doesn't want to deal with those costs so they pay closer attention to QC although I appreciate Tesla for the no markups that you see when the market is hot but with all the price increases it becomes similar
I would be surprised if Tesla was not acutely aware of the rework costs at the service centers. They know their quality isn’t there, even Musk has tweeted about it. Yet, here we are, waiting for Model X deliveries.

I can't wrap my head around how anyone accepts delivery of a six-figure Model X with these kinds of issues. Even #3 alone, I would have walked away.

I know the demand right now is unreal, but *as a shareholder* I feel Tesla needs to stop this nonsense. They're ruining their brand.

Pros and cons

Can't wait for my blue. So how does it perform compared to your Macan? Speed, handling?

I can't wrap my head around how anyone accepts delivery of a six-figure Model X with these kinds of issues. Even #3 alone, I would have walked away.

I know the demand right now is unreal, but *as a shareholder* I feel Tesla needs to stop this nonsense. They're ruining their brand.
Some people can't afford to wait / risk losing their allocation over a few smudges you can clean yourself in a few minutes.. I don't disagree that tesla has an issue here but it's nothing that can't be resolved after delivery.