Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I look to see my delivery date may have slipped to July 2023 (per Sawyer Merritt), I'm also hoping that QC will actually be a thing by then. We give Tesla way too much grace but don't afford their competitors the same amount of grace and patience as they try to catch up. I am open to new options. Is there an Electric Range Rover or an electric G-Wagon coming before Jan 2023?😬
Fisker Ocean maybe?

My delivery is tomorrow (home delivery)! I drove by Tesla delivery center and found my Model X parked in the lot yesterday. Can you guys help me figure out if there are panel gaps which I should be concerned about? this is my first Model X so not sure about the build quality... paint looks fine and no dents or scratch's any where. Car was pretty dirty and and stuff on it from assembly line.

Left FWD at rear is horrendous.
Capture1.JPG

Front of left FWD doesn't quite align with front door handle but that might actually fix itself over time as the seals compress.

The right side FWD on the other hand is also misaligned the other direction and will only get worse as the new seals compress.

My theory is they gave up on trying to push Xs in CA recently bc so low volume, and the car is still constantly changing. The fact that my EDD with VIN moved out to April, and Fremont is only focusing on delivering 3/Ys is a new thing. When Fremont said mgmt was being lenient with holds past 3/31 shocked me.

Supposedly, they are spending more time on QA with them. All these service centers are still learning about the refresh like they did when it was released Q415ish. It really is a new car and they can probably pump out 5 clean Ys in the time it takes to do the same for 1 X. I just made up those numbers.

Still curious about @DelPhonic1 rumor about a new bumper.
Hard to believe they are still learning the refreshed X. It really isn’t a new car. It’s essentially the same car exterior wise from 2015, including the FWD, where most complaints came from about misalignment. All panels are same as before so why are they still facing panel gap issues. Do we need to talk about paints?

Reactions: Vitaman and coco135
Not good. The vehicle looked good; no bad panel gaps, paint good. Problem was the seat behind the driver's seat could not move back; only forward. So eventually the seat was pressed against the driver's seat. And then you could not move the driver's seat back so that I could fit in the vehicle, The tech(s) attempted to fix and could not. They said they would have to order a new seat and no one has a clue on how long that would take. I have no idea how the vehicle could have passed a "check". I am hoping to get back into the "priority" queue for a new 2022 model.
LR MSM, 6 seat, cream, FSD
View attachment 785643

If the body and paint was perfect, I'd have just taken it. The next car might have everything working but you might need repainting of multiple panels.

• Funny
Reactions: Great White
My delivery is tomorrow (home delivery)! I drove by Tesla delivery center and found my Model X parked in the lot yesterday. Can you guys help me figure out if there are panel gaps which I should be concerned about? this is my first Model X so not sure about the build quality... paint looks fine and no dents or scratch's any where. Car was pretty dirty and and stuff on it from assembly line.
Bad! Not good! I looked at the pictures before I read your post and assumed someone was posting pictures of all the problems with their MX at delivery.
What are all the green tape pieces about?

Another bit of advice, cancel the home delivery and go to the SC, preferably with some supportive eagle eye friends and family and don't accept until you are all satisfied.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
We do hold Tesla to a higher standard, because we can, unlike legacy auto companies who have created a system where there just is no accountability. This is why I love Tesla, yes they are messed up in many ways, but you can feel it in your bones, how they are growing, striving to do a better job every day and changing constantly before our eyes as they take steps forward and backward, and generally many more steps forward than backward.
Status Quo? No such thing at Tesla!
I guess it's all a matter of point of view. The whole being in "awe of Tesla" thing has faded for me. I don't own stock and I am simply a customer.
Having dealt with Tesla Energy and now Tesla Automotive there seems to be an arrogance within the management. It's almost like, they treat me and others like we should be grateful we are allowed to buy their products. That we as customers should always accommodate their needs and adjust our lives accordingly.

I am forced to ignore my 9-5 work (which I need to make my monthly payments) in my efforts to make their end of Q1 delivery date. Phone calls, text messages, the repeated threats if we don't have this Information by Friday 3/25 we will release your VIN to the next customer. I am scheduled to pick up on 3/31 what's the fricking rush? The rush is Insurance... If I don't have what they want, when they want, they still need time to work with the next person to take delivery before EOD 3/31. This is 100% about them. I, the customer do not matter. There is always another one just behind me.

Here is one of several examples, I need to get them an IRS form for my business EIN. You must call the IRS and request a FAX of your EIN confirmation. I spent 6 hours yesterday trying to reach the IRS and finally did at 4:30pm. They said the fax could take 2-30 minutes to arrive. No fax came and they closed at 5pm. Now this morning I called 18 times and I am sitting on hold as I type this, So far on hold 1 hour 27 minutes. If I don't get Tesla this stupid form before 6pm today I lose my VIN.

Here's another, I had a discussion with a Tesla guy yesterday over my trade in. He wanted me to commit to their trade in offer and I told him he'd have to wait until I heard back from Carmax. I ran the Carmax info after work and since Tesla is only offering $21,100 and Carmax is at $26,600 I am going with Carmax. This morning the Tesla guy actually said, "if you planned on using Carmax why did you waist my time having me get you a quote? It's end of quarter, and this is slowing the process down". This sale is not about me the customer, or my having a positive buying experience, it's about one thing and one only, getting the car paid for by whomever and off the lot before EOD 3/31.

So yeah.... the being in awe of Tesla thing is long gone.
Is Elon a living legend, probably.
Is Tesla a better company with an engineer running it? Probably not. Notice how Gwynne Shotwell is president and chief operating officer of SpaceX.
Elon Runs engineering and she runs the company. Yeah he has input, even last say, but he lets her run things. Imagine if the Raptor engine was built and delivered like the Model X is? Let that sink in....

This car had better be the best thing I ever owned or my next one will be a Rivan or maybe I'll go back to Ford if they are ready with a BEV Ford Explorer. We'll see in 4 years or 50K miles.

I saved, pinched and scrapped in order to buy the Model X and the frustration and disappointment Tesla has brought me makes me kinda sad.

Question on tint (socal). I remember somebody posting on here where they went to get it done, can't find it. Looking for recommendations? Are you guys doing only front tint with ceramic? or removing the rear stock tint and re doing it?
Going to Extreme Edge in the OC to do the PPF but they don't do window tinting.
Audio Lab in Laguna Hills seems to do good work

Reactions: R6MX
Tesla knows what the 2018 Model X is worth - we bought it from them as a CPO just 3 months ago. They know the fair market value, and Washington state also has a sales tax benefit for a trade-in.

Carvana lowballed it at $59,819 (seriously?!). TrueCar is in the ballpark at $76,825 but after the nightmare I had in December, I do not want to sell again to another dealer. Waiting on Tesla, Shift and Vroom, and might shop it to Carmax over the weekend. And thanks for the tip on Current - just submitted a request to them as well.
For the record, Tesla offered $80,100 for the 2018 Model X 100D with FSD and 44,032 miles. That works for me. Only problem is the final paperwork shows sales tax on the full price, not the difference as specified by the state of Washington. I will call Tesla later this morning to clear that up, move some money around, and we'll be ready. 🕺

Mrs. G told me this morning that the delivery date wouldn't have been moved unless we purchased the CPO Model X, decided we liked the white interior, and contacted "Jorge" to change the color configuration. So... thanks "Jorge"? :cool:

Here's another, I had a discussion with a Tesla guy yesterday over my trade in. He wanted me to commit to their trade in offer and I told him he'd have to wait until I heard back from Carmax. I ran the Carmax info after work and since Tesla is only offering $21,100 and Carmax is at $26,600 I am going with Carmax. This morning the Tesla guy actually said, "if you planned on using Carmax why did you waist my time having me get you a quote? It's end of quarter, and this is slowing the process down". This sale is not about me the customer, or my having a positive buying experience, it's about one thing and one only, getting the car paid for by whomever and off the lot before EOD 3/31.
That Tesla guy needs some training or a new job.

Reactions: croman
Left FWD at rear is horrendous.
View attachment 785659

Front of left FWD doesn't quite align with front door handle but that might actually fix itself over time as the seals compress.

The right side FWD on the other hand is also misaligned the other direction and will only get worse as the new seals compress.
That's ridiculous these aren't QA'd before the cars leave the factory. These are expensive cars...

Taking it back to the SC for repairs almost seems to be part of the standard procedure now.
Before someone totaled my 2017 MX, my average for SC visits (center and remote) averaged between every 6 and 7 weeks. You could round up and say it needed to be serviced once every 2 months.

Absolutely frustrating, but in the end there are no better options. The car is littered with issues but it's features are better than any other choice on the market.

Ultimately the issues it faces are never critical enough to claim Lemon Law. 95% are cosmetic/functional.

Before someone totaled my 2017 MX, my average for SC visits (center and remote) averaged between every 6 and 7 weeks. You could round up and say it needed to be serviced once every 2 months.

Absolutely frustrating, but in the end there are no better options. The car is littered with issues but it's features are better than any other choice on the market.

Ultimately the issues it faces are never critical enough to claim Lemon Law. 95% are cosmetic/functional.
you would be surprised how many Teslas get lemoned....

From posts here it seems that there is an expectation that because of the price, the S and X should go through more scrutiny from QC. That may be true from a consumer perspective, but def not the case from Tesla. They treat it as any other car. Being lower production and more complicated is even worse for the X.

I mean..i got an X where the door wouldn't even close. I'm not sure how that got by QC and then Tesla delivery center apparently don't have a checklist either or at least no check to see if doors close.