Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am mighty troubled by the lack of consensus on phantom braking. Is it an AP-with-FSD beta issue only? Is it an AP-without-FSD issue? Is it just a "you didn't calibrate adequately" issue?

If basic TACC has problems, that to me would be a total showstopper. My driving is mostly either 6-lane interstate, or else fairly rural two-lane roads, and on both I'm fine with steering but expect the car to handle throttle and braking.

I assume when inappropriate braking is expected, like when approaching a merge, I can just put my foot on the throttle to override, the way TACC works in my previous cars?
My experience is that phantom braking happens seldomly but when it does happen it is quite disturbing and anxiety inducing, so the issue is univerally despised by anyone who has experienced it more than once. I think the phenomenon is particularly polarizing because as avid Tesla enthusiasts we revel in our passion for all things Tesla (and of course our own superior judgement that led us to support and embrace Tesla) and when an issue that is so obviously flawed rears it's head, we bristle with frustration, confusion and anger.
One other note, I have observed that phantom braking will repeatedly happen at the exact same geographical location. After a few times, I have memorized where phantom braking will happen and I now goose the gas pedal when driving through those spots.

I would never bother ordering early. There is no benefit at a all. Model 3 in 2018 I got in 4 weeks, 2019 Model X I got in 4 weeks. 2022 Model S I got in 12 weeks (I cheated and bought someones reservation only because I wanted to catch peak trade in value). All cars had less then 4 week build date. All 3 needed no service at delivery.
I humbly submit that ordering early was a big financial advantage, as my MX early order allowed me to buy a car for $89K that now sells for $115K.
Also, I am scheduled to receive my MX in the next few days rather than 2023.

The Lucid looks like a grandpa car, lol
No offense to grandpas 😁
Grandpa here, and no offense taken. Not speaking for all grandpas here, but this grandpa doesn't like the looks of the Lucid car much either. I may take a look at the Lucid Gravity if they get rid of those nasty looking roof racks shown on the concept vehicle. As of now it looks like a "hipster" vehicle. No offense to the hipsters out there. :p

Grandpa here, and no offense taken. Not speaking for all grandpas here, but this grandpa doesn't like the looks of the Lucid car much either. I may take a look at the Lucid Gravity if they get rid of those nasty looking roof racks shown on the concept vehicle. As of now it looks like a "hipster" vehicle. No offense to the hipsters out there. :p
Well I'm a boomer so I glad you didn't throw shade on us!

And did you know boomer is considered a derogatory term by millenials? Just call a millenial a boomer and see how they react, it's great fun!

Delivery date narrowing... Now March 26-April 1.... Probably March 31st push.
This morning, got the push to schedule my delivery - set for March 29th. Car was "born" March 24th, according to the Fremont delivery center it is currently on a truck to SoCal...

Quick question, I know I am suppose to get a $2000 pre-refresh credit (not seen yet), but I also noticed the Cream interior color option jumped in price from my original order ($1,500) to a newer price of $2,000. So, does this mean I should expect a $2,500 credit? or just $2,000? Also, does this number come off the top, meaning it further reduces sales tax, DMV fees, etc... or is it more like a straight rebate?

Any help from people who went through this would be appreciated....

As a relatively casual observer of this thread, and in reading about all of the anger and grief that so many here have written about; I just have to ask why the Model X was ordered in the first place with all of these concerns? Or why were existing orders not canceled where they appear to result in so much anxiousness and nervousness? I’m not criticizing anyone; just trying to understand why so many people here are sticking with Tesla despite all of the expressed concerns. I’ve had a favorable experience with my 2020 Model 3 LR, which led to my ordering of my Model X LR almost 12 months ago, but I’m not sure I would have ordered it if I had experienced the issues others have expressed here. Despite the wait, I’m excited for my MXLR and looking forward to delivery. Some day.
I guess folks are much more likely to share the poor initial quality experiences than "everything was great" scenarios. I must be in the minority, my X 2019 Raven XP has been to SC twice in 2.75 years since it was new. Once for a worn out 12v battery and once for a noisy control arm. The FWD's have been fantastic, hope the new X LR Refresh I have on order is the same.

Wow, it’s at least closer in shape to my optimal EV SUV…

I wonder what the actual specs on the Lucid Gravity will be when it’s delivered (this is my first time hearing of it).

Will it be a legit big interior like an Escalade/Suburban/Tahoe?

Still, I want a real supercharger network, Lucid.
And yeah the two-tone faded old folks colors are ugleeeeee…

Reactions: Great White
How did I contradict myself?
You asked why is everyone here waiting for their deliveries given all the QA issues. Yet here you are with the rest of them.
Also how can you have not ordered a car and experience the issues of a car you never ordered. Time travel?
I humbly submit that ordering early was a big financial advantage, as my MX early order allowed me to buy a car for $89K that now sells for $115K.
Also, I am scheduled to receive my MX in the next few days rather than 2023.
And a lot of folks with early orders are getting 2021 “field” cars. And getting orders filled in later. QA stinks more than normal on production start up. Or forced to get a 6 seater they didn’t want.

Come 2023 orders won’t take so long. It will have all the updates (like headlights) and the price might come back down. And ramp up QA should be better. Maybe range might even be back up to Raven LR+ range (372 miles)

I had an X. No way I’d get one right now.

I’m so glad I didn’t get my S sooner. A Years worth of bug fixes. Might swap for an X after they work out the bugs.

• Informative
Picked up the car yesterday! 🎉 As everyone else mentioned, it's totally worth the wait! It's truly a great car! My impressions from the pickup experience:

1. Lost about $5,000 after being "blackmailed" by the salesperson that she would give away my VIN to someone else if I didn't pick up the car within 2 hours. This is just ridiculous because it took a day for me to process the payment. The problem here is that I had to agree with the high 5+% APR by Tesla Finance when I could wait till the next day to get 2+% APR by U.S. Bank. I didn't want to risk losing my $33,000 discount after losing the VIN, so I accepted the higher APR. The Tesla customer service is not just bad, it's on the edge of a crime.

2. The car was perfect. Don't believe people telling about the low quality of Tesla cars. Yes, some cars have terrible quality. But I'm sure the percentage of defects is very low. Some people reported missing parts, but I found extra parts in my car. Apparently, they changed some scratched elements during the quality inspection at the factory. By the way, the car was built just 3 days ago. That was fast!

3. It took a really hard pull to fold or recline the larger part of the backseat. The smaller part reclines very easily. Do you have the same issue with your 5 seater?

4. The location of the horn button is awful! I pressed it during all first turns. It got better by the end of the day though. The new yoke really requires getting used to it to drive safely. I hope this will not be an issue very soon. But it's hard to imagine giving the car to someone else who hasn't used the yoke before. I think you have to deactivate Auto Pilot before that to avoid accidental presses on the corresponding button.

IMG_1806.jpg

Last edited:
I got the VIN and the text message to CONFRM about taking delivery at the same time - same message. Also gave me a delivery window of March 28-31. Shortly after I replied CONFIRM they called me to set up a delivery appointment at the Tesla Gallery p. They said the car was arriving March 28, and I could pick up the next day. So for me this all happened on Day 1.

I’ve since been working through the proof of insurance, etc. Unfortunately my car is delayed in transit a week, so had to schedule a later delivery appointment. I haven’t paid for the car yet, they originally said I just need to pay before the appointment.

They said that there is a chance the car arrives sooner than the delayed estimate, so I’ll check with them on location of the car next week.
Oh, well!

I got a call this morning that my VIN will change. Delivery range is still first week of April. Waiting on a new VIN.

I suspect that when they called me three days ago to tell me my delivery had been delayed a week, that they had already yanked my VIN. I texted today asking if they knew where the car was in transit, and shortly after that's when I got a call about the "logistics hiccup" requiring a change in VIN.

I guess folks are much more likely to share the poor initial quality experiences than "everything was great" scenarios. I must be in the minority, my X 2019 Raven XP has been to SC twice in 2.75 years since it was new. Once for a worn out 12v battery and once for a noisy control arm. The FWD's have been fantastic, hope the new X LR Refresh I have on order is the same.
Similar experience with my 2017 LRX... Pretty darn good at 4 years and 63,000 miles.

Picked up the car yesterday! 🎉 As everyone else mentioned, it's totally worth the wait! It's trully a great car! My impressions from the pick up experience:

1. Lost about $5,000 after being blackmailed by the sales person that she would give away my VIN to someone else if I didn't pick up the car within 2 hours. This is just ridiculous because it took a day for me to process the payment. The problem here is that I had to agree with the high 5+% APR by Tesla Finance when I could wait till the next day to get 2+% APR by U.S. Bank. I didn't want to risk losing my $33,000 discount after losing the VIN, so I accepted the higher APR. The Tesla customer service is not just bad, it's on the edge of a crime.

2. The car was perfect. Don't believe people telling about low quality of Tesla cars. Yes, some cars have terrible quality. But I'm sure the percentage of defects is very low. Some people reported missing parts, but I found extra parts in my car. Apparently, they changed some scratched elements during the quality review at the factory. By the way, the car was built just 3 days ago. That was fast!

3. It took a really hard pull to fold or recline the larger part of the backseat. The smaller part reclines very easily. Do you have the same issue with your 5 seater?

4. The location of the horn button is awful! I pressed it during all first turns. It got better by the end of the day though. The new wheel really requires to get used to it to drive safely. I hope this will not be an issue very soon. But it's hard to imagine giving the car to someone else who hasn't used the yoke before. I think you have to deactivate Auto Pilot before that to avoid accidental presses on the corresponding button.

View attachment 785770
It wasn’t built on March 22 (03/22). It was built 3rd Month of 2022. I made the same error.

You asked why is everyone here waiting for their deliveries given all the QA issues. Yet here you are with the rest of them.
Also how can you have not ordered a car and experience the issues of a car you never ordered. Time travel?

And a lot of folks with early orders are getting 2021 “field” cars. And getting orders filled in later. QA stinks more than normal on production start up. Or forced to get a 6 seater they didn’t want.

Come 2023 orders won’t take so long. It will have all the updates (like headlights) and the price might come back down. And ramp up QA should be better. Maybe range might even be back up to Raven LR+ range (372 miles)

I had an X. No way I’d get one right now.

I’m so glad I didn’t get my S sooner. A Years worth of bug fixes. Might swap for an X after they work out the bugs.
Don’t see how this is a contradiction but in any event, my OP speaks for itself and I appreciate the thoughtful comments I have seen so far.