Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone here picked up a Frenont car this week with no issues?
1648442054638.gif

As promised: 24 hours with the refresh Model X:

tl;dr: I didn’t expect such a huge improvement from the 2018 Model X. But the refresh is way better all around. If you’re considering the upgrade, you will love it!

Background: My wife and I both work in software. I am a computer guy, not a car guy. So I’ve always viewed Tesla as a “computer with 4 wheels” instead of a car. We owned a 2014 Model S 85 kWh; our only child is off to college, so we don’t need big seating capacity, but we need cargo capacity several times per month. We are also about to take delivery on an RV travel trailer, so we need the towing capability. We ordered the new Model X in August 2021; we got scared that Tesla would not deliver in time for our trailer, so we bought a 2018 CPO Model X in December. But the refresh is so much better overall - I’m very glad we upgraded.

Exterior appearance: To my inexperienced eye, the exterior is mostly the same as pre-refresh, apart from minor details like the chrome trim is now black. No strong opinion here.

Interior appearance: Huge improvement. Much more luxurious feel than either of our previous Teslas. Center console has lots of storage options. Again, I’m not a car guy; I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s still behind top-of-the-line imports, but it looks great to me.

Controls: A mixed bag. First, I was wrong. I ... like the yoke? The left and right steering dials are a big improvement. But I have some gripes. First, I’m not a fan of getting rid of the turn signal stalk. Sorry, not at all. The problem with the turn signal buttons is that I have to look at them. A stalk is something you can manipulate by feel. I don’t miss the other stalks, but both my wife and I really miss the turn signal stalk. Second, I miss creep during parking. On the roads, the lack of creep is a real plus - you can drive with a single pedal nearly all the time. However, I’m nervous trying to park without creep. With creep, you can react quickly and stop if you think it’s unsafe. Without creep, you have to move your foot quickly to the brake pedal. I may need to start parking with both feet - oh well. The horn button is a similar problem to the turn signals: it requires a lot more thought in an urgent situation. And I miss the energy data and chart. The rest of the odd controls are fine; they’re different, neither better nor worse.

Driving: Everything feels smooth. Better acceleration than either of the Teslas we had before. Very quiet inside, even without noise canceling. Stereo is a big improvement.

Fit and finish: I’ve read the horror stories, so I was expecting the worst. Nothing serious, though I’m not that critical about these things. I noticed a few minor blemishes in the clear coat (not the paint), and my friend noticed one of the falcon wing doors should be aligned better when closed (I will open a service ticket for that). The driver's air bag has the worm, which doesn't seem to bug me.

Delivery: The people at the service center were polite and efficient, but I can tell the detailing was really rushed - though I’ll take some of the blame for pushing the delivery to "next day". There were multiple pieces of tape and protective plastic that should have been removed. The blemishes in the clear coat should have been buffed out. Water spots everywhere. The windshield washer fluid was empty. Again, I’m not that picky, so it was pretty sloppy for me to notice all of this.

Other: It’s petty for Tesla not to include the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter. I asked if I could keep the one from the trade-in, and I got an emphatic no. I ordered one, but it’s silly not to include it at this price point.

All in all, I’m loving the car after the first day. It’s loaded with 95 loaves of home made bread for the food bank tomorrow, and there's plenty of room for more.

Finally, thanks for the camaraderie on this thread. You made the wait better. I plan on sticking around this thread for now.
Which SC did you pick up from?

ASecond, I miss creep during parking. On the roads, the lack of creep is a real plus - you can drive with a single pedal nearly all the time. However, I’m nervous trying to park without creep. With creep, you can react quickly and stop if you think it’s unsafe.

Other: It’s petty for Tesla not to include the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter. I asked if I could keep the one from the trade-in, and I got an emphatic no. I ordered one, but it’s silly not to include it at this price point.

My wife will miss creep too. I never used it and my profile had it turned off. Doesn't the refresh come to a complete stop when you lift off the accelerator already?

Is the 14-50 adapter the one you bought yourself? If so, then it's not part of the trade-in and they wouldn't even have known if you just removed it prior turning it in.

Reactions: Elixir and mswlogo
Yep and very interesting the sound played when connected to the my car Bluetooth { lexus}
This is such a refreshing, positive and informative post. I have to read 50-60 to get one that discusses things that I am interested in......but it's worth it.
Posed a question a few days ago that if you could keep stalks and wheel from pre refresh would you.... and this answers it.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
As promised: 24 hours with the refresh Model X:

tl;dr: I didn’t expect such a huge improvement from the 2018 Model X. But the refresh is way better all around. If you’re considering the upgrade, you will love it!

Background: My wife and I both work in software. I am a computer guy, not a car guy. So I’ve always viewed Tesla as a “computer with 4 wheels” instead of a car. We owned a 2014 Model S 85 kWh; our only child is off to college, so we don’t need big seating capacity, but we need cargo capacity several times per month. We are also about to take delivery on an RV travel trailer, so we need the towing capability. We ordered the new Model X in August 2021; we got scared that Tesla would not deliver in time for our trailer, so we bought a 2018 CPO Model X in December. But the refresh is so much better overall - I’m very glad we upgraded.

Exterior appearance: To my inexperienced eye, the exterior is mostly the same as pre-refresh, apart from minor details like the chrome trim is now black. No strong opinion here.

Interior appearance: Huge improvement. Much more luxurious feel than either of our previous Teslas. Center console has lots of storage options. Again, I’m not a car guy; I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s still behind top-of-the-line imports, but it looks great to me.

Controls: A mixed bag. First, I was wrong. I ... like the yoke? The left and right steering dials are a big improvement. But I have some gripes. First, I’m not a fan of getting rid of the turn signal stalk. Sorry, not at all. The problem with the turn signal buttons is that I have to look at them. A stalk is something you can manipulate by feel. I don’t miss the other stalks, but both my wife and I really miss the turn signal stalk. Second, I miss creep during parking. On the roads, the lack of creep is a real plus - you can drive with a single pedal nearly all the time. However, I’m nervous trying to park without creep. With creep, you can react quickly and stop if you think it’s unsafe. Without creep, you have to move your foot quickly to the brake pedal. I may need to start parking with both feet - oh well. The horn button is a similar problem to the turn signals: it requires a lot more thought in an urgent situation. And I miss the energy data and chart. The rest of the odd controls are fine; they’re different, neither better nor worse.

Driving: Everything feels smooth. Better acceleration than either of the Teslas we had before. Very quiet inside, even without noise canceling. Stereo is a big improvement.

Fit and finish: I’ve read the horror stories, so I was expecting the worst. Nothing serious, though I’m not that critical about these things. I noticed a few minor blemishes in the clear coat (not the paint), and my friend noticed one of the falcon wing doors should be aligned better when closed (I will open a service ticket for that). The driver's air bag has the worm, which doesn't seem to bug me.

Delivery: The people at the service center were polite and efficient, but I can tell the detailing was really rushed - though I’ll take some of the blame for pushing the delivery to "next day". There were multiple pieces of tape and protective plastic that should have been removed. The blemishes in the clear coat should have been buffed out. Water spots everywhere. The windshield washer fluid was empty. Again, I’m not that picky, so it was pretty sloppy for me to notice all of this.

All in all, I’m loving the car after the first day. It’s loaded with 95 loaves of home made bread for the food bank tomorrow, and there's plenty of room for more.

Finally, thanks for the camaraderie on this thread. You made the wait better. I plan on sticking around this thread for now.
Thanks for posting a great writeup! I'm happy to hear about the stereo improvement, since my 2018 is so very good already.

As for that NEMA 14-50, they would never have known it in the trade-in. You should have kept it since you'd put it to good use. I believe it's pretty rare that Tesla owners use that adapter so whomever the new owners are probably would not be using it nor will they care. I never have, nor have I needed it. At least not until I pick up that bad-ass Bowlus in a couple years or so after I retire.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Take it because if you won't i'm sure some guys here would...I mean they would even take a wheelbarrow if it had an X on it and just turn it into service for a month or 2
Yes, odds are high that someone else will take it. The bigger question is whether they really should? Why wouldn't someone reject it if the vehicle comes to delivery with problems (particularly major, underlying ones and not just the cosmetic), especially at the high price that we're paying? Musk, himself, has said that they're looking at improving the quality - and this isn't it. In fact, it's a big step backwards. I get it that some people will say that it's expected for first year production, and hopefully quality will improve, it's still stinging for those who plop down a wad of cash - it's up to them to figure out whether to keep or reject a vehicle.

I moved away from other manufacturers for the same issues, so something has to give on Tesla's end BEFORE the competition comes up to par or they'll start to lose customers hand over foot.

Hello all, me with the unpopular opinions again.

Rejecting a car over fit/finish issues does not teach Tesla a lesson.

They are a robot with no feelings or logical thoughts. Even if you manage to get to the sympathy of the physical human delivering the car, the feelings stop at the SC level and never go up to corporate or Fremont to fix the issue at it's core. In addition the MX cars are such a tiny fraction of overall production - the M3/MY are largely not affected.

At the end of the day the stock continues to rise so sr. management sees no issues. When fit/finish issues are resolved at the SC the VIN just goes on to the next person. I know it sucks.. im not saying Tesla should be given a pass, but ultimately the only one displaced and left feeling unfulfilled is the consumer, not Tesla.

They are a robot with no feelings or logical thoughts. Even if you manage to get to the sympathy of the physical human delivering the car, the feelings stop at the SC level and never go up to corporate or Fremont to fix the issue at it's core. In addition the MX cars are such a tiny fraction of overall production - the M3/MY are largely not affected.

At the end of the day the stock continues to rise so sr. management sees no issues. When fit/finish issues are resolved at the SC the VIN just goes on to the next person. I know it sucks.. im not saying Tesla should be given a pass, but ultimately the only one displaced and left feeling unfulfilled is the consumer, not Tesla.
I agree with this. Tesla is currently driven almost exclusively by a profit motive and will continue the EOQ push each quarter at all cost, including quality. Until the EV market and availability of fast chargers matures across the country/world, Tesla can afford to continue to take this approach. A small percentage of individuals rejecting cars will not alter this, and those cars will simply be passed on to someone else who is excited to have it despite a few flaws that eventually get fixed. In this same vein, I wonder what percentage of deliveries discussed in this group reflect overall deliveries of the refreshed X so far? If that percentage is relatively low, then I bet a number of deliveries with the flaws this group is hyper focused on were accepted with big smiles and excitement by the new owners.

I’m also not giving Tesla a pass for quality issues, but the reality of the situation continues to inform Tesla’s motivations and actions. Once the EV market as a whole changes, this too will change. We’re not there yet.

That's likely the one I will be receiving from, living in Anacortes. Did you get to choose that location over Bellevue or Renton, or was that your default location?
They were originally going to deliver the vehicle to my home in Bellevue but moved it to Lynnwood when we moved the date up to Saturday. Sadly, I learned that Lynnwood has higher sales tax than Bellevue, so it cost about $135 in extra tax. ☹️

Yeah, but isn't there a cost to repairing these cars that's probably higher at the Service Centers than at the factory? Wouldn't it be in Tesla's best interest in the long term to fix this at the root rather than patch and go? I'd look at the numbers at the Service Centers to see how much of the staff's time is spent in fixing new builds vs servicing/repairing customer's cars.

Of course there will always be issues that come from transporting, but looking at the issues as of late, it's clear that the Service Centers are less than enthusiastically repairing these new vehicles, especially since it's a quarter end rush. Heck, I'm not so sure that they're not almost rebuilding some of these cars. Something's got to give.

My wife will miss creep too. I never used it and my profile had it turned off. Doesn't the refresh come to a complete stop when you lift off the accelerator already?

Is the 14-50 adapter the one you bought yourself? If so, then it's not part of the trade-in and they wouldn't even have known if you just removed it prior turning it in.
Yes, the vehicle comes to a complete stop when you release the accelerator. But sometimes you need the friction brakes to stop sooner, especially while parking.

And no, I didn’t buy the 14-50 plug adapter- it was supplied with the 2018 Model X. And Tesla insisted I include it with the trade. This is mostly a short-term problem for me since our electricIan is installing 2 wall-mount chargers this Friday (the 2nd is for a Model 3 in the next 12-18 months). And of course I ordered a 14-50 plug adapter since we will want one for camping.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
As for that NEMA 14-50, they would never have known it in the trade-in. You should have kept it since you'd put it to good use. I believe it's pretty rare that Tesla owners use that adapter so whomever the new owners are probably would not be using it nor will they care. I never have, nor have I needed it. At least not until I pick up that bad-ass Bowlus in a couple years or so after I retire.
Agreed about the 14-50 adapter. Sometimes I’m too honest for my own good. 🙄

Stay tuned for the Bowlus report in early May… 😃

Will refusing delivery teach Tesla a lesson? Agreed, probably not. But if vehicles are delivered with defects that require rework via service, I disagree: Tesla will see this in the bottom line.

Reactions: croman
Yeah, but isn't there a cost to repairing these cars that's probably higher at the Service Centers than at the factory?
Teach a lesson? Agreed, probably not. But if vehicles are delivered with defects that require rework via service, I disagree: Tesla will see this in the bottom line.

Relatively speaking the M3 and MY are delivered without issues. We have all been to the SCs, the MS/MX account for maybe 10% of the cars in the parking lot.

From a business perspective if it takes say 3 employee hours to service the car at the factory vs 3 employee hours to service the car at the service center (an example) - they are going to prioritize the EOQ push and getting profit up and put those fit/finish issues on the SC. Maximize factory output. It makes sense when you look at it solely from a profit perspective.

Again, not giving them a pass. Just sharing their thought process.

• Informative
Reactions: gglockner