Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really jealous seeing people get cars. I ordered 1/5/21. It's been 15 months and while I understand Tesla needs to deliver more profitable cars first, I feel like they are going to reneg and cancel my order (showing July EDD). What recourse do I have if they try to bail on my order? Has anyone faced this? Perhaps I'm just being paranoid...
  1. It's not entirely clear why Tesla is delivering some models before others, but from this thread, it looks like they made a batch of 6-seat LR, then Plaid. Now they're starting to make the 5-seat LR. Nobody outside Tesla knows what's next, and we're all here to share the frustration.
  2. There is no evidence they will cancel your order. We have no widespread reports of cancelations; just a few isolated incidents that can be cleared up with a phone call.
  3. If you're really impatient, then do what I did: buy a CPO Model X right now and keep it until your new one is ready. For me, the net cost was about $10K. Probably not the best use of money, but if you absolutely need a Model X right now, that's your best option.

Got a VIN today (7SAXCBE6XNF3367xx -updated spreadsheet). Leaving purgatory on the way to cloud 9 in Tesla heaven.😇

Thought this was likely to happen since other Chicago forum members were getting VINS last week when my EDD had changed to end of March at the same time. I'm amazed; was expecting October based on all the long wait times I've been reading until the high margin Plaid deliveries cranked up recently. Was not in a hurry since I had bought a 2021 MXLR in mid-December (traded in a 2019 Audi Q8) thinking it would be a transition car to learn the Tesla nuances; charging, FWD's, speed, ride, etc. and confirming I liked it enough before ordering the Plaid (which I did on January 4, 2022). Some of my concerns were alleviated by posts on this forum about the refresh improvements. Had those not been there, probably would not have moved forward.

While at the Milwaukee SC yesterday getting a few minor warranty items resolved, the advisor (who is awesome at his job) shared his feedback about the refresh X he has test driven and gave me another boost of confidence, his professional opinion was a lot of the marginal qualities of past year X's were solved and the refresh is on a whole new level.

Looking forward to getting my delivery date scheduled and will inspect with the checklist in hand (of course making sure the back seats where my teenagers sit are securely bolted down):D. Have a buddy who has been a multi-Tesla owner since 2016 to accompany me. Hoping for no issues between now and then but I've read the posts that odd things in the Tesla world do happen.

Stay tuned...will report back details and photos upon pick up and test drive.
Tuesday March 29.
Pre pick up details:
  1. Had issues getting bank account to connect with pay app. Got “account not found” error messages. Gave up and brought a cashiers check.
  2. SC was kind enough to move my pickup appointment 3 hours later with the assistance of my sales rep.
  3. Last minute decision to trade in 2021 MX to Tesla, their price was $10K over CarMax and as much or more than used dealers that specialize in Teslas. With sales tax savings, didn’t make sense to pursue any other alternative.
Pick up Inspection:
  1. Interior=excellent. Could not find any issues. White interior was clean, crisp, beautiful. Even had some sort of a new car chemical smell.
  2. Exterior=not so great:
    • paint chip on bottom of left front fender where black plastic was slightly pushed in. Why could they not see this and fix it prior to delivery? Did it leave the factory like this or happened during transport. They has the car for several days prior to me picking up so no good excuse.
    • one FWD pretty good, no noticeable gap issues. Other FWD goes down a bit too far showing alignment offsets. Weatherseal on top folded over a few inches. Both obvious to even the untrained eye.
    • hood had a slight elevation in one front corner creating a bigger than normal gap.
    • Paint quality looked very good throughout, no drips or other weird flaws.
    • headlights/tail-lights clear and as expected. No condensation issues.
    • new style charging door and “badge” symbol for Plaid. Personally, I like both of these. Reps commented this was the first badge symbol they’ve seen recently others were coming through with letters.
  3. Delivery education: non existent.…here’s your car, figure it out. Personnel was friendly enough but just didn’t have the time to walk me through anything more than they have to like “sign here saying you accept the car”. Fortunately I had a buddy who‘s been a long time tesla owner and very techy to help figure out the refresh nuances...much different than pre-refresh X’s.
  4. Driving experience:
    • Seats= A+. Comfy!
    • Yoke=driving down roads is a dream, armrests allows for relaxed holding of bottom of yoke. Just need to adjust height & depth of yoke to desired spot. Parking lots with tight turns were a bit more challenging, hand fly’s off the yoke sometimes when one handed turning. Periodically would hit some control buttons by accident; wiper, etc. Still trying to adapt to the maneuvering part, think I’ll figure it out once I have a few more days with it. Starting to like the blinkers and windshield washer controls better than stalks, time will tell.
    • Screen=amazing resolution. Don’t mind swiping into park & reverse, its very quick to react. Previous X had delay or sometimes would meet to flip stalk to drive twice before it would actually change gears. Horizontal screen is better than vertical. Back up camera and side cameras seem different, more of a fish eye lens for a wider view than what I remember my previous X had.
    • Ride=Much quieter than older X’s probably due to double pane glass, suspension seems improved. Still a little road noise from tires where undercoating would help. No Active Noise Cancellation found in software settings (likely old version).
    • Speed= Crazy Fast…no words to describe other than “HANG ON!!” My hand actually fell off the yoke when I stomped on it. Must have been the G-forces.
  5. MCU= while sitting in the car at SC adjusting settings, had the screen go off twice. Thought it was just powering down. As it turns out, after leaving and driving down the road, screen & dash would go black without any reason. A bit unnerving when driving a new car at night and losing all information (speed, nav, etc). Car continued to drive normally and headlights/blinkers etc. worked fine. Shut down 8-10 times over the next two hours of driving. Used two thumbwheels pressed at same time to reboot. Screen came back up and either worked fine for a while or would get stuck loading and shut back down. Not fun dealing with that on the highway. Fortunately my techy friend was triaging the software while I focused keeping the car in my own lane and adjusting speed based on other cars.
Immediately made a service appointment citing the above items and my SC advisor is looking into them already. Went to a body shop for paint chip repair that specialized in Tesla’s, they are submitting a claim to Tesla under warranty.

Are these issues acceptable for the price of the car? No way! Should quality control at the factory or SC catch these and fix prior to delivery? Absolutely! Future competition will eventually force Tesla to address these earlier on.

Fortunately, after reading hundreds of pages in this forum, I knew what to expect and am not surprised at all. I’m confident all of them will be resolved in short order to my satisfaction and I will then start to really enjoy the car. Next task is PPF (paint protection film), window tint, Ceramic coating.

Thanks to all for providing a support mechanism and knowledge base to learn from.

Photos for your benefit:

Attachments

• C9E243EC-F5B7-4B9E-BD50-3111D45C2E72.jpeg
    C9E243EC-F5B7-4B9E-BD50-3111D45C2E72.jpeg
    385.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 6203732E-CA45-4644-BBBE-ADF42907C2CB.jpeg
    6203732E-CA45-4644-BBBE-ADF42907C2CB.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 56FD8B13-BFA9-46C5-A4C3-B55CD00BA8B2.jpeg
    56FD8B13-BFA9-46C5-A4C3-B55CD00BA8B2.jpeg
    640.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 43CFC2FF-EDAF-467F-87CE-BF2CE129346E.jpeg
    43CFC2FF-EDAF-467F-87CE-BF2CE129346E.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 63BDB3CD-DF69-483D-8BDF-9843B191540D.jpeg
    63BDB3CD-DF69-483D-8BDF-9843B191540D.jpeg
    500.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 20963C33-735A-426E-B8AE-3C8C6A960410.jpeg
    20963C33-735A-426E-B8AE-3C8C6A960410.jpeg
    488.8 KB · Views: 74
  • F54A61EE-6A5E-493D-BDEA-E9D289865400.jpeg
    F54A61EE-6A5E-493D-BDEA-E9D289865400.jpeg
    390.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 0536D428-9F0D-4E3F-90AE-0C75D311FC81.jpeg
    0536D428-9F0D-4E3F-90AE-0C75D311FC81.jpeg
    473.8 KB · Views: 77
Tuesday March 29.
Pre pick up details:
  1. Had issues getting bank account to connect with pay app. Got “account not found” error messages. Gave up and brought a cashiers check.
  2. SC was kind enough to move my pickup appointment 3 hours later with the assistance of my sales rep.
  3. Last minute decision to trade in 2021 MX to Tesla, their price was $10K over CarMax and as much or more than used dealers that specialize in Teslas. With sales tax savings, didn’t make sense to pursue any other alternative.
Pick up Inspection:
  1. Interior=excellent. Could not find any issues. White interior was clean, crisp, beautiful. Even had some sort of a new car chemical smell.
  2. Exterior=not so great:
    • paint chip on bottom of left front fender where black plastic was slightly pushed in. Why could they not see this and fix it prior to delivery? Did it leave the factory like this or happened during transport. They has the car for several days prior to me picking up so no good excuse.
    • one FWD pretty good, no noticeable gap issues. Other FWD goes down a bit too far showing alignment offsets. Weatherseal on top folded over a few inches. Both obvious to even the untrained eye.
    • hood had a slight elevation in one front corner creating a bigger than normal gap.
    • Paint quality looked very good throughout, no drips or other weird flaws.
    • headlights/tail-lights clear and as expected. No condensation issues.
    • new style charging door and “badge” symbol for Plaid. Personally, I like both of these. Reps commented this was the first badge symbol they’ve seen recently others were coming through with letters.
  3. Delivery education: non existent.…here’s your car, figure it out. Personnel was friendly enough but just didn’t have the time to walk me through anything more than they have to like “sign here saying you accept the car”. Fortunately I had a buddy who‘s been a long time tesla owner and very techy to help figure out the refresh nuances...much different than pre-refresh X’s.
  4. Driving experience:
    • Seats= A+. Comfy!
    • Yoke=driving down roads is a dream, armrests allows for relaxed holding of bottom of yoke. Just need to adjust height & depth of yoke to desired spot. Parking lots with tight turns were a bit more challenging, hand fly’s off the yoke sometimes when one handed turning. Periodically would hit some control buttons by accident; wiper, etc. Still trying to adapt to the maneuvering part, think I’ll figure it out once I have a few more days with it. Starting to like the blinkers and windshield washer controls better than stalks, time will tell.
    • Screen=amazing resolution. Don’t mind swiping into park & reverse, its very quick to react. Previous X had delay or sometimes would meet to flip stalk to drive twice before it would actually change gears. Horizontal screen is better than vertical. Back up camera and side cameras seem different, more of a fish eye lens for a wider view than what I remember my previous X had.
    • Ride=Much quieter than older X’s probably due to double pane glass, suspension seems improved. Still a little road noise from tires where undercoating would help. No Active Noise Cancellation found in software settings (likely old version).
    • Speed= Crazy Fast…no words to describe other than “HANG ON!!” My hand actually fell off the yoke when I stomped on it. Must have been the G-forces.
  5. MCU= while sitting in the car at SC adjusting settings, had the screen go off twice. Thought it was just powering down. As it turns out, after leaving and driving down the road, screen & dash would go black without any reason. A bit unnerving when driving a new car at night and losing all information (speed, nav, etc). Car continued to drive normally and headlights/blinkers etc. worked fine. Shut down 8-10 times over the next two hours of driving. Used two thumbwheels pressed at same time to reboot. Screen came back up and either worked fine for a while or would get stuck loading and shut back down. Not fun dealing with that on the highway. Fortunately my techy friend was triaging the software while I focused keeping the car in my own lane and adjusting speed based on other cars.
Immediately made a service appointment citing the above items and my SC advisor is looking into them already. Went to a body shop for paint chip repair that specialized in Tesla’s, they are submitting a claim to Tesla under warranty.

Are these issues acceptable for the price of the car? No way! Should quality control at the factory or SC catch these and fix prior to delivery? Absolutely! Future competition will eventually force Tesla to address these earlier on.

Fortunately, after reading hundreds of pages in this forum, I knew what to expect and am not surprised at all. I’m confident all of them will be resolved in short order to my satisfaction and I will then start to really enjoy the car. Next task is PPF (paint protection film), window tint, Ceramic coating.

Thanks to all for providing a support mechanism and knowledge base to learn from.

Photos for your benefit:
Gorgeous, but I am not sure I would have accepted it.

They fixed the final amount and pickup is schedule at the factory tomorrow. They REALLY wanted me to arrange a wire today and asked if there was any way I could still make it today. They even offered to deliver to my home in Merced today which is two hours away. I said I preferred to pick it up at the factory and pay via Plaid AFTER I inspected the car. Pickup time is set for tomorrow at noon.

Will I get a text or something telling me what parking space it is or do I just need to ask when I get there?

Picked up mine Monday afternoon and drove home to Wisconsin the yesterday. Everything is fine but a couple of questions. Where is the USB port and where do we find the instructions for the garage opener? Thanks for any help
There should be a USB port in the glovebox with a USB stick in it already for sentry mode. I think there are probably some other USB ports in the center console? The in-car instructions for the garage door opener should be fairly clear, or at least they were when I set it up in my M3. Might be worth googling the manual for your particular garage door opener for its HomeLink instructions as well.
@stonelance nailed it. Look inside of your glovebox for the sentry mode USB. You'll have two more in the middle row and two more for the back row (assuming you have 6 seater). As far as Homelink goes, I'd YouTube that as it all depends on the brand your garage opener is. There are tons of videos for it.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Thanks, never thought about inside glove box. Saw two "ports" in center console but they looked really small for USB. There's instructions in the manual? :confused:
For HomeLink, i just meant the normal UI in the car for setting it up is pretty straight forward, but if you want the more here is the Tesla manual:

And yes, normally a garage door opener manual will have instructions for how to pair to different types of remotes, including HomeLink. Unless your garage door opener is old... Obviously it isn't going to know your car. Your car also isn't going to know your model of garage door opener. So you kind of need both manuals if you run into trouble. Some garage door openers you can just use an existing programmed remote to program the opener in the Tesla, but some need you to climb up and push some buttons on the opener to start pairing.

Hey Atlanta area people, how many of you have received 5 seater refreshed MXLR to date? Still waiting for mine that will be delivered to the newish Kennesaw location. Anyone have experience taking delivery at the Kennesaw location? Good or bad?
I received my MYP through that location and thought they did a great job. So good, that I tried to have my Model X delivered there, but it was too late.

Reactions: goldenage
Update: I was told if I remove FSD, it will re-price the car at current pricing. I don't believe that is the case but who really knows?

Anyway, looks like it was meant to be ... keeping FSD @ $10K so I get another $2K of "automatic equity" in the car :)

Can't believe we are talking about automobiles as an appreciating asset in which we build equity ;-)
That is BS. Removing it doesn't change the base price. Keep asking to talk to someone else until they remove it. Don't let them con you into spending $10k more than you need to.

Really jealous seeing people get cars. I ordered 1/5/21. It's been 15 months and while I understand Tesla needs to deliver more profitable cars first, I feel like they are going to reneg and cancel my order (showing July EDD). What recourse do I have if they try to bail on my order? Has anyone faced this? Perhaps I'm just being paranoid...
As I posted earlier, my order, which I picked up last Saturday was a 5seat, LR, no FSD, at pre-refresh price. The idea of pricier being delivered first is out the window on this deal. May at first when they built only 6 seats, but not now. I think they were clearing inventory of 6 seat motors and parts.

Reactions: jb401
They fixed the final amount and pickup is schedule at the factory tomorrow. They REALLY wanted me to arrange a wire today and asked if there was any way I could still make it today. They even offered to deliver to my home in Merced today which is two hours away. I said I preferred to pick it up at the factory and pay via Plaid AFTER I inspected the car. Pickup time is set for tomorrow at noon.

Will I get a text or something telling me what parking space it is or do I just need to ask when I get there?
Nope, just show up early and be casually super interested in one specific car. You likely won’t be let into the interior, but much can be inspected by looking in. Build quality has really improved recently, so don’t stress too much.

You have a discerning eye from all your posts. If built in the last few weeks, all you have to worry about is drivetrain parts you can’t see. Just open and close those FWDs 5x.

Hey guys, I ordered pre-refresh around Nov 2020, in Toronto. LR 5seater, still no end in sight. I see the price has increased by about 25k since I ordered. I was going to lease it as this would be my first tesla/ev, and I am skeptical of the yoke. But I'm wondering if it would be better to just buy it? Thanks.
I would buy it instead of leasing. Tesla's are still holding their value so if you don't like it and flip it within a year, you should not be out much so buying gives you flexibility. I really enjoy the yoke on my S - I find its comfortable to use, like how its wider and I find its much easier to steer. I am a big fan of the yoke.

• Love
If you're really impatient, then do what I did: buy a CPO Model X right now and keep it until your new one is ready. For me, the net cost was about $10K. Probably not the best use of money, but if you absolutely need a Model X right now, that's your best option.
🔥 Hot tip: Any day now, Tesla will be selling a 2018 CPO Model X 100D with about 45K miles...;)

Last edited:
I got a couple of texts on the day just reminding me to show up. (What, like I would have forgotten?). When I arrived at the SC (Lynnwood, WA), there was a sign for where to go for delivery. Took about 30 minutes from start to finish, including Q&A, scrutinizing the car, taking pictures and signing some papers. Easy peasy.