Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why so many folks are in a rush to get a half upgraded X is beyond me. Matrix might only be 10 weeks away.
In my case if the car looks good I'm going to take it. I'd rather have a solidly-built X now then the potential of a flawed (or further delayed) X w/ matrix headlights later. I absolutely do want the new headlights, but resign to the fact that there will always be something new rumored to be coming around the corner. Plus there's always a chance that the MX matrix headlights will be delayed, or not come at all (though if I were to bet money I think all builds after July will have them, based on corroborated rumors). And we still don't know if Tesla's current matrix headlights will ever actually be enabled in the US.

In my case if the car looks good I'm going to take it. I'd rather have a solidly-built X now then the potential of a flawed (or further delayed) X w/ matrix headlights later. I absolutely do want the new headlights, but resign to the fact that there will always be something new rumored to be coming around the corner. Plus there's always a chance that the MX matrix headlights will be delayed, or not come at all (though if I were to bet money I think all builds after July will have them, based on corroborated rumors). And we still don't know if Tesla's current matrix headlights will ever actually be enabled in the US.
As you said, there will always be some upgrade on the horizon. Once the Matrix headlights become the norm, the next upgrade will perhaps be the tilted screen feature that was canned. And there after it will be the addition of a CCS port. So if I keep waiting for all the upgrades, I'll never have a car in my possession

Last edited:
As you said, there will always be some upgrade in the horizon. Once the Matrix headlights become the norm, the next upgrade will perhaps be the tilted screen feature that was canned. And there after it will be the addition of a CCS port. So if I keep waiting for all the upgrades, I'll never have a car in my possession
I agree in 100%

all this fuzz about the matrix lights...one might think they will wash the dishes for you.
never saw a complaint about the current lights not being sufficient.

i have 'Laser' lights on my BMW and it improved my driving experience by 0
Maybe foolish on my part, but my hope is that the selective illumination capabilities of the matrix headlights will allow the AP cameras to see better at night, without blinding oncoming traffic, eventually ending forced auto high-beams and the associated issues.

I’m not sure if I have the emotional fortitude to delay delivery over it, but I do have hopes that it’s a meaningful update.

Reactions: jbrowdy and mswlogo
As you said, there will always be some upgrade on the horizon. Once the Matrix headlights become the norm, the next upgrade will perhaps be the tilted screen feature that was canned. And there after it will be the addition of a CCS port. So if I keep waiting for all the upgrades, I'll never have a car in my possession
4680 (or better) w/ structural pack will also inevitably eventually make its way to the X. Imagine what the weight savings will do to ride quality.

New charge port enables CCS compatibility. For me, that’s 💯 more useful than matrix headlights, which may not be fully operational in the US anyway due to regulations.
Virtually everyone getting deliveries now should have the new tail lights (I don't see the benefit myself) and the CCS-sized charge port, but do we know if that port is even adaptable to CCS?

I agree that Tesla should give up on its own connector and switch ASAP though. Just skeptical that those of us with the CCS-sized opening will be able to get a retrofit.

Reactions: sukhi
Picked up my X Ppaud yesterday! Only a minor scratch that they buffer out. No gaps or anything! Love it so far. No shudder!

Attachments

• BC26ABB6-F2C6-4CEE-8E0C-FB23D6E60AA8.jpeg
    BC26ABB6-F2C6-4CEE-8E0C-FB23D6E60AA8.jpeg
    661.2 KB · Views: 115
  • E29A4EB3-97C2-43F0-A094-34BC91C1AB70.jpeg
    E29A4EB3-97C2-43F0-A094-34BC91C1AB70.jpeg
    491.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 2CE0EBCD-372A-48F5-9571-6BC40C957CC6.jpeg
    2CE0EBCD-372A-48F5-9571-6BC40C957CC6.jpeg
    506.1 KB · Views: 83
Also, can someone with a delivered X please take a picture of how the current headlights perform? Some claimed that they're bad, but I've yet to actually see an image (or a comparison with X's current lights to matrix like the S).
You are not gonna see much difference until they are enabled. But there are Videos comparing old S vs new S and Old 3 vs new 3 out there. It will be similar.

This photo gives you an idea of what they are capable of.

matrix.jpg

I have been unVIN’d!! Yay! Yes yay because it was done at my request. I chose to reject persistently delayed delivery of my 331xxx car since being VIN’d in March due to QC issues. Did not want to take delivery of a car that was produced weeks ago and hasn’t cleared QC as yet and has no reliable ETA. Also because I am traveling and won’t be there to inspect the car in-person on delivery for next few weeks.
Smart move.

Reactions: sukhi
You are not gonna see much difference until they are enabled. But there are Videos comparing old S vs new S and Old 3 vs new 3 out there. It will be similar.

This photo gives you an idea of what they are capable of.

Tesla can't even get normal high beams right, I have no confidence they will figure this out 😁

Anyways maybe this is an unpopular opinion but I plan to take delivery of any Model X they give me. I'll submit work orders immediately but I am taking it. Even without Matrix lol.

Are there any other rumors other than Sawyers that point to this?

The longer you wait the less “flawed” the X will be. What is so magical about todays build? Other than the highest rate of goof ups I’ve ever seen from Tesla. I also get a kick out of the fact that people think all is good by scanning the exterior skin of the car.

Reactions: coco135