Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, what’s the latest firmware version on your car?

I haven’t checked mine but just wondering if the update has to be done manually. I thought the update would be automatic.

Thanks
I’m expecting delivery this week (knock on wood!) thus my concern about the software version. We have a ways to drive the new car back in hot weather…….

One of the 22.12.3 versions was to address the overheating CPU issues. I thought there was even an associated recall?

Last edited:
I’m expecting delivery this week (knock on wood!) thus my concern about the software version. We have a ways to drive the new car back in hot weather…….

One of the 22.12.3 versions was to address the overheating CPU issues. I thought there was even an associated recall?
Yes I thought I read there was a defective batch of processors that couldn’t be run at their expected potential…?

Or something. 🫥😛

Not to keep posting here and distracting from deliveries but just an update on the overheating stuff so everyone else can watch for it. Tesla remotely diagnosed the vehicle and said the 11.101 firmware should not have the thermal management issue. They confirmed some parts need to be replaced in the vehicle to fix the thermal management problem so they are working to get the parts and pushed out the service appointment by a week. It sounds like it can be done with mobile service which is really good because I live so far from the service center.

Things to watch out for that might indicate these issues so you can document and ask tesla to fix if your new vehicle does this:
1) backup camera super laggy or black screen. Will only update one frame every 4-8 seconds.
2) blind spot blinker cameras will black screen or show pixelated OLD images - so it may show a semi next to you when nobody is actually there or nobody when someone is next to you because it’s showing an image from 15 minutes ago. You cannot trust them AT ALL if you’re having thermal management issues. You have to turn these cameras on in autopilot section of settings but can also see them by going into reverse and tapping the “show” icon in upper left to turn them on when backing up. Also of note - blinker camera only activates while vehicle is in drive - won’t show them when you’re parked.
3) random yellow brake error and red brake error lights appearing in upper left of the binnacle (attaching an image of what this looks like). These will come and go randomly.
4) parking brake functions degraded warnings (see screenshot attached).
5) autopilot will freak out whenever the red brake warning light errors occur and will do the red immediate hands on wheel notices. Autopilot isn’t very usable with thermal management issues.
6) LTE will not function and you won’t have any premium connectivity features or navigation lookup / traffic awareness. No Spotify, no web, no theater etc. You can hook to your phones hotspot to get on wifi and make everything work that way. This one is hard to test at the delivery center since the car is connected to tesla wifi when sitting at the delivery center and all this stuff will work. Might be worth testing by turning wifi off to force it to try to use LTE and then enter navigation address try to login to Spotify or stream music etc.
7) even while on wifi navigation will be slow to update - directions will be delayed because it’s behind for some reason on the GPS location - I had to just use Waze on my iPhone instead of the main nav after I missed a few turns and realized what was happening. Luckily the wireless charging spot you’ve got good visibility to your phone to do this.
8) volume adjustment is really laggy and inconsistently registered when adjusting from the left scroll wheel - not 100% but I’m hoping this is related to the thermal management problems as well.

Double scroll wheel press and hold while pressing in on brake until screens all go black can sometimes temporarily fix but the thermal issue will likely come back as soon as you start driving or charging the vehicle.

The vehicle itself seems to be drivable even with these problems and brakes all seem to actually work but I’m definitely less comfortable using it much until it’s repaired because of the gremlins in the machine.

Attachments

• EFD14577-C957-4850-8809-C307E9BC31A9.jpeg
    EFD14577-C957-4850-8809-C307E9BC31A9.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 0184F278-5761-497D-8093-5249BC27858D.jpeg
    0184F278-5761-497D-8093-5249BC27858D.jpeg
    265.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Not to keep posting here and distracting from deliveries but just an update on the overheating stuff so everyone else can watch for it. Tesla remotely diagnosed the vehicle and said the 11.101 firmware should not have the thermal management issue. They confirmed some parts need to be replaced in the vehicle to fix the thermal management problem so they are working to get the parts and pushed out the service appointment by a week. It sounds like it can be done with mobile service which is really good because I live so far from the service center.

Things to watch out for that might indicate these issues so you can document and ask tesla to fix if your new vehicle does this:
1) backup camera super laggy or black screen. Will only update one frame every 4-8 seconds.
2) blind spot blinker cameras will black screen or show pixelated OLD images - so it may show a semi next to you when nobody is actually there or nobody when someone is next to you because it’s showing an image from 15 minutes ago. You cannot trust them AT ALL if you’re having thermal management issues.
3) random yellow brake error and red brake error lights appearing in upper left of the binnacle (attaching an image of what this looks like). These will come and go randomly.
4) parking brake functions degraded warnings (see screenshot attached).
5) autopilot will freak out whenever the red brake warning light errors occur and will do the red immediate hands on wheel notices. Autopilot isn’t very usable with thermal management issues.
Thank you for that post. Super informative and helpful!

It's not that Tesla can't do it like GM or other do. They don't want to. The reason is simple. Ther system will prioritize vehicles and orders based on location etc. Tesla does not build any cars specifically to an order. They build a batch of white cars, first performance, then long range with a combination of interior colors and wheel choices. Then they go to the next color etc. Their system will prioritize delivery location based on being able to get the car to that location to the buyer before the end of quarter. They usually start east and move west as the end of quarter nears as of course it is quicker to deliver to California as the Fremont factory is there. It's all geared towards sales and profit numbers. They are more in control of their sales as all the other car makers as they cut out the middle man. For example, if you ordered a red Model X Plaid in Florida and you are theoretically the one with the earliest reservation waiting for such car and it's 5 days before end of quarter and there is a reservation holder in Fremont that ordered much later the same exact car, the person in Fremont will get the car that should have theoretically been yours because they could not get the car to you in time before quarter end, so they deliver to the customer in Fremont as they can get it there before quarter end.
They have a very sophisticated system in place that prioritizes company results over customer satisfaction. They can do that as the demand is so high and if someone is upset and cancels their order, there will be 10 others that will take that car.
I disagree that it is more sophisticated or that it is as advanced as you say. When I ordered my X in 2019 they gave me an eta and a VIN. The VIN did not match my build - it had the optional (expensive) wheels. My loan had been processed with the VIN. They could not explain why the VIN did not match my build. How many stories have we heard about people getting assigned a VIN and then have it disappear. If that is by "design" then they need a new designer. And as you point out Tesla's are pretty simple - 5 exterior colors 2 or 3 interior colors, some wheel options and 2 models per. The options on a new Corvette are dramatic. One person calculated there are over 11,000 combinations of build - there are probably more seat options than all Teslas combined. GM is able to manage that like a Swiss watch. I agree they prioritize builds based on profits. But after the car is "built" and a VIN assigned, there is NO excuse for the mayhem that follows. It is also penny wise and pound foolish to so completely ignore customer satisfaction - especially now that they are profitable.

• Love
Reactions: croman and 1pinhigh
Again, thanks much for those details and for documenting in the Model X Refresh Issues Thread as well.

We plan to check the cameras using the camera app at the SC, and also be doing a local test drive with both of us in the car. If everything seems OK, DH will then be following me and we hope to drop the old car off at Carmax on the way home. Temps will be high 90s that afternoon. Knock on wood yet again!

Again, thanks much for those details and for documenting in the Model X Refresh Issues Thread as well.

We plan to check the cameras using the camera app at the SC, and also be doing a local test drive with both of us in the car. If everything seems OK, DH will then be following me and we hope to drop the old car off at Carmax on the way home. Temps will be high 90s that afternoon. Knock on wood yet again!
No problem. Added a bunch more details in an edit as I remembered tips or other issues.

I'm updating a bit here too. I hadn't mentioned that NOA is better and even the plebeian city streets works better as well. No phantom braking, or not seeing close merging cars anymore-- way more graceful especially with slowing the car down for traffic. The slowing down finally works better, actually way better now, than my 2013 Ford Fusion Energi plug-in:).

Yes fit and finish is better thruout compared to my 2018. Some have complained of the center console hardness under the elbow, but on longer trips I haven't felt this.

Yoke still feels great and even sublime. It's one of the pleasantries I miss the most when not driving the car.

I noticed at speed a slight bit of ringing in my ears and realized the noise cancelling was doing its thing. It seems to work only at higher speeds and mutes the lower range road noises somewhat. Turning it off/on I realized that the slight ringing plus less low road noise was preferable to nothing at all. Kind of like all noise cancelling headphones where the sound quality is not great, but way better than even the best headphones when there is noise around you. So not a huge improvement, but it is working. I can't remember if phone calls worked better at speed but I'll have to try it again.

I've confirmed that the subwoofer is definitely disconnected and maybe another speaker or two. The sub slider makes no difference at all when raising and lowering it. The service appt can't come soon enough-- I need that glorious sound.

Charging seems way quicker using preconditioning with 5 to 90 coming in 30 minutes or so at v3's. I'm quite happy with this. The 350kw EA's work great too with the CCS adapter.

Headlights are way brighter than 2018. So bright that I don't care about matrix, these lights work great.

I'm also quite disappointed that I can't answer the phone with the binnacle. I'd love to hear the engineers explain the software related bad-ism that prevents this. I also miss the radio info on the binnacle as well. And being able to control the climate control, and texts, all from the binnacle. I miss those.
Have to agree with all of that. Have not taken a road trip yet (only had the car for a few days), though do expect to head up to Carnation tomorrow. The car is amazing.
Thought that the 2018 XLR was a bit easier to use - glovebox is an example. Probably because I've been trying to make the USB stick work. Using the display for every task is probably not optimal - but I'll get used to it. Really have no problems with shifting on the display - don't change gears that much. Really enjoy the yoke. It's me. Would prefer to have the horn in the center area. Car does freak me out a bit - the automatic door opening when I approach startles me. (have uttered 'f***ing car'). I prefer an analog clock - would like to be able to display one on the driver's display. That's software so it'll probably come soon. There's a lot of empty real estate on that display. We'll see other stuff there.
We do a lot of cycling - haul the bikes around to the hitch rack. Would like to be able to sound a non-startling sounder using the display - maybe something like a 'Bermuda Bell' for when you're coming up on a cyclist or pedestrian.
Agree on the climate control. But am loving the car.

I'm also quite disappointed that I can't answer the phone with the binnacle. I'd love to hear the engineers explain the software related bad-ism that prevents this. I also miss the radio info on the binnacle as well. And being able to control the climate control, and texts, all from the binnacle. I miss those.
Thanks for the update. We had a 7-hour round trip yesterday to drop the kids at summer camp.

MX is much quieter than my wife's 2018 MS. She had a hard time keeping her speed down as she was used to the road/wind noise from her MS. I think the new windows are a huge improvement.

I ditched the yoke for a Hansshow wheel and ergonomics are great. I have no issues with the armrests on either side.

I do think the software UI is a step backwards. Needing to open a menu or use voice commands for the glovebox is stupid. I also hate that Homelink requires multiple pokes to bring up. We have a gate and no matter what I do with the reset location, it will only prompt for either leaving the house or coming back to the house. Not both. So I have to dig around to get Homelink up half of the time.

Like you, I also hate that I have lost so much from the driver's screen. Should all be fixable w/ software updates if they decide to do it.

Still had some phantom braking issues on 2-lane roads using TACC. I don't use AP. At one point in a gentle left hand turn, cresting a hill, it thought the oncoming car was going to hit us (it was headed right for us but it was following its lane). The car started beeping and hit the brakes pretty hard. I so desperately wish they would let me set the cruise control to "non-adaptive" but I am not hopeful.

In all, my wife summed it up at the end of the day by saying that the drive felt shorter than it was.

Last edited:
What edd do any SoCal people have? I have 6/26-8/9. Wondering if I am able to get an end of quarter delivery.
November 2022 - Jan 2023 on a July 2021 order (LR, 6 seat), Orange County.

My original EDD was December 2021 which seemed quite reasonable. When that got blown I was sure that I would get it in the EOQ push in March. No luck, but I was definitely going to get it in EOQ push in June. Now I'm skeptical as to whether I'll even get it in EOQ push in December...

Picking up a new model X you can ask for a test drive before accepting!?

I would like that

Reactions: lexus26
November 2022 - Jan 2023 on a July 2021 order (LR, 6 seat), Orange County.

My original EDD was December 2021 which seemed quite reasonable. When that got blown I was sure that I would get it in the EOQ push in March. No luck, but I was definitely going to get it in EOQ push in June. Now I'm skeptical as to whether I'll even get it in EOQ push in December...
No rhyme or reason. I’m a 2/21 order, I’m also skeptical if I get it in my edd window.

Been a silent observer here for a couple of months... want to share my brief story and hope it doesn't frustrate too many people that have been waiting for what seems like an eternity for their X.

In June of 2020 I purchased one of the very last Model X's that came with unlimited free supercharging. I live in the Midwest but picked it up in Vegas as it was a car that was returned by the original buyer after 3 days and 400 miles (remember when you used to have a week to decide if you liked your Tesla?). Had a nice discount on it so we road tripped it home. Loved the EV element, loved the technology and the software but hated a number of problems that were cropping up and just the really inferior interior that the previous version had.

Cadillac started taking reservations for their Debut Edition Lyriq last fall (<$60,000) so when I discovered I could sell my X for $20,000 more than I paid for it 18 months later, I reserved the Lyriq, sold my X, and bought a two year old off lease Cadillac XT5 to fill the gap.

As it turns out, Cadillac cannot tell me to this day when my Lyriq will be built and I'm just flat tired of driving an ICE after having an EV. Soooo, on May 11th I ordered a Model X LR. Was quickly given an EDD of Jan - Mar '23. I let that sit for a few days and was already getting anxious. So, I changed my order to a plaid. The next day my EDD moved to August 15 - October 12. A week later it moved further out by a week... August 20 - October 15. Still anxious to wait potentially 5 months, I added FSD to my order. (Side note: My extreme sympathies to those who are waiting a year + for delivery. I don't know how you do it as I clearly dont have that kind of patience). Anyway, after adding FSD, one week later (last Saturday morning), my EDD changed to June 17 - July 8. I promptly submitted trade in details on my XT5, accepted it as offer was reasonable, submitted financing information, and accepted financing. So all of my delivery preparation work is done.

Assuming that this June 17 - July 8 date holds, when do you think a VIN would be issued? Is there much risk of this date changing backward? Or forward? I have to think the car has already been produced as shipping time from CA to the Midwest is probably 3 - 4 weeks at least.

If nothing else, this little exercise proves that adding more options has a direct influence on your place in line which, frankly, doesnt seem all that fair.

If nothing else, this little exercise proves that adding more options has a direct influence on your place in line which, frankly, doesnt seem all that fair.
😂 Last time I expected anything in life to be "fair" I was a teenager! Good for you on your Plaid, I don't resent you for getting it sooner, I'll save my ire for Tesla

Thanks for the update. We had a 7-hour round trip yesterday to drop the kids at summer camp.

MX is much quieter than my wife's 2018 MS. She had a hard time keeping her speed down as she was used to the road/wind noise from her MS. I think the new windows are a huge improvement.

I ditched the yoke for a Hansshow wheel and ergonomics are great. I have no issues with the armrests on either side.

I do think the software UI is a step backwards. Needing to open a menu or use voice commands for the glovebox is stupid. I also hate that Homelink requires multiple pokes to bring up. We have a gate and no matter what I do with the reset location, it will only prompt for either leaving the house or coming back to the house. Not both. So I have to dig around to get Homelink up half of the time.

Like you, I also hate that I have lost so much from the driver's screen. Should all be fixable w/ software updates if they decide to do it.

Still had some phantom braking issues on 2-lane roads using TACC. I don't use AP. At one point in a gentle left hand turn, cresting a hill, it thought the oncoming car was going to hit us (it was headed right for us but it was following its lane). The car started beeping and hit the brakes pretty hard. I so desperately wish they would let me set the cruise control to "non-adaptive" but I am not hopeful.

In all, my wife summed it up at the end of the day by saying that the drive felt shorter than it was.
Elon is both right and wrong.
“All input is error” directly means
“All human input means poor design“

Because yes the system should anticipate all your needs. This is true.

But input = number of screen taps.

More screen taps = worse design.

Ergo until the system can fully anticipate your instantaneous wishes (full brain individual neuron Neuralink connection), the UI needs to minimize your taps to commonly-accessed controls.

All input is error, yes.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
FSD : Dash Display looks cool..
View attachment 813265
Love this too, but I usually like to keep the full visualization option off. then it gives me a small map on the left side of the binnacle with a nice 'above car' turn by turn, which I like.
What software version are you on?
Cray. I'm looking at my app since I'm out of town, and it says 2022.11.101.1. Looks like I'm way, way behind, and haven't gotten an update since delivery a few weeks back. But I'd rather get Beta really.

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr