Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i am questioning the group about this, because supercharging seems expensive to me. Trip coming up going to Phoenix, and looked and it shows kingman supercharger at 0.44 cents a KWh. Correct my math if I am wrong, but if you compare that cost of charging to a $5 gallon of gas, you are getting roughly 35 miles as compared to the cost of a gallon of gas. Don‘t get me wrong, I love my Tesla, but where is the potential savings that they are advertising on all the main sales pages for the cars? That honestly is not far off from cars today, and takes more time to charge then fill up a tank…
Most people charge at home, which is where most of the savings come from. In my case that means less than 12c per kWh, any time of the day or night.

No doubt, my home charging rate is some of the cheapest power in the US at only 0.057 cents a KWh, just surprised me how much the superchargers are, as I hardly use them.

Also, by the math, if you have a 30 something mpg car, you are paying roughly the same as using the superchargers with a 40 cent + charge per KWh, as compared to $5 a gallon, not paying 50-60% less.
Is my math wrong? If you have 30mpg and it costs $5 per gallon, and a Tesla with 4 miles per kWh. Then at 44 cents per kWh you can get 11.36 kWh which equates to 45.45 miles per $5 spent. Which compared to the 30mpg gas car is 51% cheaper per mile driven.

Is my math wrong? If you have 30mpg and it costs $5 per gallon, and a Tesla with 4 miles per kWh. Then at 44 cents per kWh you can get 11.36 kWh which equates to 45.45 miles per $5 spent. Which compared to the 30mpg gas car is 51% cheaper per mile driven.
I guess if you get 4 miles per KWh, but my average where I live is about .330-.340 per mile, so about 3 miles per KWh…. Dang 100+ degree temps…

Don‘t get me wrong, not complaining about the efficiency of electric cars, just complaining of the cost to use superchargers. It’s spoiled me charging my car from empty to full at home for like $6.

Took delivery today. This journey has worn me out! Glad to finally have the beast. Love the new car smell. There are so many anecdotes around here, you probably don't need another one. But, I should point out that there were no major issues that I can see. Rear right trunk light was not working. Very subtle alignment irregularity on a FWD, but not enough for me to lose sleep over. A little dirt smudges on seats and exterior.

The checklist is really nice. Gives you peace of mind you are not missing anything.

Happy to answer questions if there are any!

Edit: I either can't figure out how to invoke TACC or it doesn't work. I put setting so Autopilot is a single click of the right scroll wheel, which should make TACC a double click. Can't get it to work. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Took delivery today. This journey has worn me out! Glad to finally have the beast. Love the new car smell. There are so many anecdotes around here, you probably don't need another one. But, I should point out that there were no major issues that I can see. Rear right trunk light was not working. Very subtle alignment irregularity on a FWD, but not enough for me to lose sleep over. A little dirt smudges on seats and exterior.

The checklist is really nice. Gives you peace of mind you are not missing anything.

Edit: I either can't figure out how to invoke TACC or it doesn't work. I put setting so Autopilot is a single click of the right scroll wheel, which should make TACC a double click. Can't get it to work. Any suggestions are appreciated!
About time! Congratulations! I hope it brings you lots of joy and happiness.. I'm so glad to see you FINALLY get yours!

real world milage of MXLR is about 290-300 miles (even less on FWY above 70mph) with 100kwh if the cost is 0.44c that makes it $44 to fully charge which comes to 0.15c per mile.

30mpg car (good luck finding SUV that gets that if not hybrid) at $5 per g makes it 0.16c per mile

At that supercharger he is talking about, it is cheaper to drive ICE

I guess if you get 4 miles per KWh, but my average where I live is about .330-.340 per mile, so about 3 miles per KWh…. Dang 100+ degree temps…

Don‘t get me wrong, not complaining about the efficiency of electric cars, just complaining of the cost to use superchargers. It’s spoiled me charging my car from empty to full at home for like $6.
in our dreams we'll get 4 miles per KWh
also if it cost you $6 from E to F that means you're paying 0.06c per KW...i doubt.

Last edited:

If you got loan and if you don't mind can you share where did you get it from

If you got loan and if you don't mind can you share where did you get it from
I ended paying cash. I have been advised multiple times not to do this, but I just didn't want to deal with another loan. That said, I was driving by a local credit union the other day and they were advertising a 1.99% rate. Had I driven by that a week earlier, I probably would have financed it through them. But, that also means opening up new accounts, etc, which can be a pain. With rates creeping up and watching the market go up and down, I just decided to pay for it.

This weekend, a friend who does financial advising told me I could buy a muni bond right now and expect a 7% return (or 2% if it's called early). I'm like: why the h*ll isn't everyone doing this if it's that simple? Again, had I known this a week or two ago, I may have considered financing.

There have been lots of discussions here about how dumb it is to pay cash. I just made the decision partly based on emotion. It's hard enough to balance monthly budgets without yet another payment. So, I just paid for it.

Sorry - I don't think that was very helpful.

On a positive note, despite all the horror stories we have all shared here, it is REALLY refreshing to not be brought to the back room by the finance guy at a traditional dealership and getting beaten over the head with all kinds of add-on coverages and gimmicks. I always get sucked into at least a few of those add-ons! At Tesla, just sign your *sugar* and get going! They gave me a dude for a quick software orientation, which was really helpful. Much, much different interface and functionality compared to my 2018 MX.

I ended paying cash. I have been advised multiple times not to do this, but I just didn't want to deal with another loan. That said, I was driving by a local credit union the other day and they were advertising a 1.99% rate. Had I driven by that a week earlier, I probably would have financed it through them. But, that also means opening up new accounts, etc, which can be a pain. With rates creeping up and watching the market go up and down, I just decided to pay for it.

This weekend, a friend who does financial advising told me I could buy a muni bond right now and expect a 7% return (or 2% if it's called early). I'm like: why the h*ll isn't everyone doing this if it's that simple? Again, had I known this a week or two ago, I may have considered financing.

There have been lots of discussions here about how dumb it is to pay cash. I just made the decision partly based on emotion. It's hard enough to balance monthly budgets without yet another payment. So, I just paid for it.

Sorry - I don't think that was very helpful.

On a positive note, despite all the horror stories we have all shared here, it is REALLY refreshing to not be brought to the back room by the finance guy at a traditional dealership and getting beaten over the head with all kinds of add-on coverages and gimmicks. I always get sucked into at least a few of those add-ons! At Tesla, just sign your *sugar* and get going! They gave me a dude for a quick software orientation, which was really helpful. Much, much different interface and functionality compared to my 2018 MX.
I’m paying cash as well. Definitely not dumb to pay cash. A paid for car just drives better in my opinion. Also if you borrow the money and invest, you still have to deal with market downturns and other risk. Also if you do make money off the investments you have taxes. To each his own, but not having a car payment is pretty cool. I say this knowing that everyone is not in a position to pay cash for a MX and don’t have that option.

Hi all!
I ordered a model X plaid last year and was contacted last week to schedule delivery date. It’s scheduled for next week.
Do you know if I can sell the car before getting it or I should buy and then sell?
Recommendations from the experts?
:)
Thanks!
You can't sell something that isn't yours yet, unless you mean something else. You also can't transfer or sell your reservations these days... seems like Tesla has been cancelling orders of people doing this.

No doubt, my home charging rate is some of the cheapest power in the US at only 0.057 cents a KWh, just surprised me how much the superchargers are, as I hardly use them.

Also, by the math, if you have a 30 something mpg car, you are paying roughly the same as using the superchargers with a 40 cent + charge per KWh, as compared to $5 a gallon, not paying 50-60% less.
In reality, model X should be compared with a sporty 3-row SUV like GLS 63, which has 16 mpg, rather than a fuel efficient Toyota. In this case, using supercharger is still much cheaper. For people who really want the lowest cost per mile, Model X, as well as those sporty ICE SUVs, may not be the best choices, as they are not designed that way. Instead, the unique set of power, futuristic features, along with the low cost of electricity, makes Model X attractive in the market.

I think that’s the reason why lots of people still use supercharger. From a different perspective, the rate in superchargers should also be set by Tesla according to the local supply and demand, which means Tesla still sees enough users accept this high rate. Hopefully the rate will come down in the long run, to compete with the growing third-party charging networks like EA’s. But I don’t think they are trying to compete with destination chargers. It’s impossible to be cheaper than that. Therefore, these 2 rates may not be perfectly correlated.