Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know if an adaptive turn ratio, or a fixed but more dynamic ratio could be implemented with the current MX and MS yoke setup?
While there may be some limited interim solution I think it is generally accepted that the ultimate solution is progressive steering (aka steer-by-wire) and that seems to be a good distance in the future for Tesla. Elon tweeted something to that effect in 2021.
1655143177698.png

Last edited:
While there may be some limited interim solution I think it is generally accepted that the ultimate solution is progressive steering (aka steer-by-wire) and that seems to be a good distance in the future for Tesla. Elon tweeted something to that effect in 2021.
View attachment 816164
Technically speaking, we're already a year after that was posted. Define "a few years" in Musk time considering all the variables in his determination to get things done, also include time for government to pass the change. It could be next week or it could be next decade when you consider how long it took the NHTSA to deal with Matrix headlights.

Anyone know if an adaptive turn ratio, or a fixed but more dynamic ratio could be implemented with the current MX and MS yoke setup?
Possible in theory but I put the odds at zero. Tesla doesn't do retrofits. They won't even let you upgrade a car with an 85kWh pack to a 100kWh pack and that is simply billing and a software tick on the car. That is a simple option to bring in more profit from people upgrading their cars but haven't done it.
Technically speaking, we're already a year after that was posted. Define "a few years" in Musk time considering all the variables in his determination to get things done, also include time for government to pass the change. It could be next week or it could be next decade when you consider how long it took the NHTSA to deal with Matrix headlights.
No govt action required for this. Infiniti had a steer by wire system in 2013. It has a mechanical fallback in the form of a clutch on the steering column. As long as the clutch is powered, it holds open and the steering is done by wire. If power is lost then the clutch fails closed and you have a mechanical connection to steer. The above-linked Lexus system does not have any mechanical connection but does have a standby battery in case main vehicle power is lost. The article that @SubtractEm posted says that there are no regulatory hurdles.

I agree that the yoke was brought out in preparation for AP/FSD but IMO they are way too early. AP/FSD works best on highways where the yoke also works well. AP/FSD doesn't work so well in tight parking lots and city driving there the yoke also falls short (IMO).

The Lexus system with the yoke maxes out at 150 degrees in each direction or .8 turns lock to lock vs the S/X at 2.3. this is the critical piece that Tesla overlooked.

Again, drive what you want. The aftermarket has stepped in to provide wheels for the S/X. If you don't like the yoke, get a wheel and keep the yoke for resale. If the next owner doesn't like the wheel they can swap for the yoke or if they don't like the yoke, sell the wheel with the car.

I would definitely go for a drive by wire yoke. It would even offer the possibility of different settings “aggressive” “relaxed“ etc
Count me in the “Yoke looks totally cool but has limited function” camp. We’ve had a Plaid for two weeks and I agree that the yoke is superior on the highway but it’s crap when driving in the city. Trying to make tight turns on Chicago streets, alleys and parallel parking is overly complicated and requires both hands with one hand sometimes having to “catch” the yoke especially when backing into a city garage. Have I gotten used to it - yes but I’ve also gotten used to reading glasses but would prefer my youthful vision. I can live with the turn signals being on the yoke but wish the left and right turn buttons had some physical indentations on them so that I would have a tactile sense of which is which. There are still occasions where I have to look to confirm which turn signal I am pressing.

Also, for those of you contemplating moving to a Plaid to accelerate your delivery time, be certain. I made the change because we really needed the X this summer and have some regret because I don’t find the Plaid acceleration to be worth the additional $30k. The acceleration is certainly fun but I’ve never been a speed fiend and that 2.5 0-60 is lost on me.

Coming from a M3 LR, I miss the handling and sporty driving of the 3. The X is a wonderful car but I think when my family’s need for a larger car has dissipated, I will be eyeing a MYP (with hopefully air suspension in the future).

Currently showing EDD of 9/29 - 12/8 for LR, Black/Cream, 20", 6 seat, no FSD. Early December will be 23 months since order date, ugh.

Ok, but here's the interesting thing: Tesla clearly prioritizes high-margin orders (FSD, Plaid, more expensive options). Makes perfect sense and as shareholder, I want them to do this. However, aren't they creating business risk but burying all lower-margin orders? If their future deliveries are increasingly weighted toward orders like mine (e.g. a $100k, LR X). isn't margin going to tank? Of course if production ramps and demand continues to grow, no issue.

BUT if a recession hits, new, current-price orders slow and therefore production does not continue to ramp, then the basket of orders they have to fill could be underwater. Arguing against: a recession will also mean fewer people buying expensive cars, so some orders cancelled. But then Tesla would be betting people like me blink first...

Tesla doesn't tell us the makeup of orders they have on the books, but we do know they have this habit of kicking the can down the road on lower-margin orders. What do you all think?
I think your Point is well taken. However, the only way Tesla realizes the lower margins on older orders is to deliver them. They can kick them down the road forever and never deliver if they choose. Currently though, I think their strategy is too very lightly sprinkle them in so their margins are not really affected much. As a shareholder my main concern would be the ill will Tesla is creating right now with so many of their best customers on delivery prioritization, product quality, and service (or lack there of). In 3-5 years when all these customers are again in the market for a new car, and competitors have lots of quality offerings and a national charging network built out, I think Teslas policies of today will really come back to bite them.

Count me in the “Yoke looks totally cool but has limited function” camp. We’ve had a Plaid for two weeks and I agree that the yoke is superior on the highway but it’s crap when driving in the city. Trying to make tight turns on Chicago streets, alleys and parallel parking is overly complicated and requires both hands with one hand sometimes having to “catch” the yoke especially when backing into a city garage. Have I gotten used to it - yes but I’ve also gotten used to reading glasses but would prefer my youthful vision. I can live with the turn signals being on the yoke but wish the left and right turn buttons had some physical indentations on them so that I would have a tactile sense of which is which. There are still occasions where I have to look to confirm which turn signal I am pressing.

Also, for those of you contemplating moving to a Plaid to accelerate your delivery time, be certain. I made the change because we really needed the X this summer and have some regret because I don’t find the Plaid acceleration to be worth the additional $30k. The acceleration is certainly fun but I’ve never been a speed fiend and that 2.5 0-60 is lost on me.

Coming from a M3 LR, I miss the handling and sporty driving of the 3. The X is a wonderful car but I think when my family’s need for a larger car has dissipated, I will be eyeing a MYP (with hopefully air suspension in the future).
I switched MXLR to MXP to take delivery and put into service before end of 2022 to qualify for Section 179/168 deductions. So, in a weird way a MXP delivered in 2022 will be less expensive, or virtually the same price, as a MXLR delivery in 2023. Everyone’s situation is different.

My MYP is a lot of fun but I do think the 2.5 0-60 will put a smile on my face for years to come even though I may never actually achieve that low of a number. The top end of the MYP dies off after like 70mph pretty drastically. So, the top end of the MXP is going to be a lot of fun as well.

Currently showing EDD of 9/29 - 12/8 for LR, Black/Cream, 20", 6 seat, no FSD. Early December will be 23 months since order date, ugh.

Ok, but here's the interesting thing: Tesla clearly prioritizes high-margin orders (FSD, Plaid, more expensive options). Makes perfect sense and as shareholder, I want them to do this. However, aren't they creating business risk but burying all lower-margin orders? If their future deliveries are increasingly weighted toward orders like mine (e.g. a $100k, LR X). isn't margin going to tank? Of course if production ramps and demand continues to grow, no issue.

BUT if a recession hits, new, current-price orders slow and therefore production does not continue to ramp, then the basket of orders they have to fill could be underwater. Arguing against: a recession will also mean fewer people buying expensive cars, so some orders cancelled. But then Tesla would be betting people like me blink first...

Tesla doesn't tell us the makeup of orders they have on the books, but we do know they have this habit of kicking the can down the road on lower-margin orders. What do you all think?
How is it possible that you still haven't gotten delivery??? You didn't like reject a VIN or something, right?

I switched MXLR to MXP to take delivery and put into service before end of 2022 to qualify for Section 179/168 deductions. So, in a weird way a MXP delivered in 2022 will be less expensive, or virtually the same price, as a MXLR delivery in 2023. Everyone’s situation is different.

My MYP is a lot of fun but I do think the 2.5 0-60 will put a smile on my face for years to come even though I may never actually achieve that low of a number. The top end of the MYP dies off after like 70mph pretty drastically. So, the top end of the MXP is going to be a lot of fun as well.
Would this not work in 2023 ? Did the rules change for 179 deductions?

No kidding. I have my laser light and anti-dazzle factory equipped since 2019 on my X5 waiting to be activated once NHTSA approved.