Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What!!!!! My order EDD just jumped from Sept 2-29 to December 2022 to April 2023! April!!! I ordered in June 2021. I hope this might just be a minor computer recalculation that will rapidly readjust. Of course two days ago I contacted Tesla for info on order and they said Sept 2-29. I am distraught. Very distraught. And getting angry.

Picked up my car yesterday. The delivery center must be pretty under staffed or over worked because it took almost 2 hours to get in and out. Anyway, minor scratches & some paint defects all getting taken care of with a service appointment. Alignment, panel gaps, seals, glass, seats, all the major stuff looked great. However, there's a constant high pitched whine coming form under the front of the car while parked. At first I though it was trying to cool the batteries down after driving home, but it was constant for 4 hours until going to bed. It was gone this morning, but came back and has been on and off all day without having driven anywhere. I thought maybe my phone was waking the car up when I approached, but that's not it either. Does anybody know what that noise is? Google was not any help.

The entire delivery process left a lot to be desired. 2 day notice for the pickup & really poor communication throughout. They had me scheduled for the wrong day, there was no charger or key fobs included, & no instruction on anything. Lack luster help while picking it up too. The guy I was initially working with left mid delivery without notice, and I ended up working with someone else after waiting around for a while. Anyway, you guys have been a huge help here. I've been around since page 60 in this thread and love seeing all the updates. Here are some pictures of the car & the defects for those still waiting.

If anybody knows what is causing that constant high pitched noise, please let me know!
Cabin overheat protection can cause sounds like you describe. It is easy to turn off if it is on.

Reactions: wolnir
What!!!!! My order EDD just jumped from Sept 2-29 to December 2022 to April 2023! April!!! I ordered in June 2021. I hope this might just be a minor computer recalculation that will rapidly readjust. Of course two days ago I contacted Tesla for info on order and they said Sept 2-29. I am distraught. Very distraught. And getting angry.
Welcome to the club of unending misery. Good to have you!

Some people have reported having the dates get pushed out shortly before they get pulled in and get a VIN. Give it a few days before losing it :) I have a hard time believing it will be anything later than November.

I’m at the MT kisco center. I have to say, Tesla should really hire a better QA team. The driver’s side door does not really align with the rear door. The passenger side is near. I have not found other issues yet.

24003C04-B4C4-4D34-BA96-9899F2FDA6DC.jpeg
59082E0C-1D6A-4920-9212-A85AACE32972.jpeg

Some people have reported having the dates get pushed out shortly before they get pulled in and get a VIN. Give it a few days before losing it :) I have a hard time believing it will be anything later than November.
There are delivering MX to Kansas City, at least. They are making my color choices. I was going to go today to make sure insurance was set up for quick activation. Now, why bother? I’ve got a corner of the room devoted to all sorts of Tesla stuff : mats, scrren protectors, chargers, fob, delivery checklists, etc. it’s piling up. I’ve got 3 home chargers bought and installed at some expense in two locations. I set up my PPF appointment And figured out transportation for the week that will take. I’ve got a 15-½ yr old car that I put $3000 into to keep it safe when deliveries were delayed from April. I do a fair amount of long distance, very rural driving. really don’t want to put more into it but I’ve got a 2000 mile trip to the east coast in Oct. I can’t put off. I really need this car! I hope you’re right. But I guess I’m not getting it Sept 3 as previously possible. I’m sure, based on this forum, others go through similar situations. But its awful when it happens to you . AAUUGGHH.

There are delivering MX to Kansas City, at least. They are making my color choices. I was going to go today to make sure insurance was set up for quick activation. Now, why bother? I’ve got a corner of the room devoted to all sorts of Tesla stuff : mats, scrren protectors, chargers, fob, delivery checklists, etc. it’s piling up. I’ve got 3 home chargers bought and installed at some expense in two locations. I set up my PPF appointment And figured out transportation for the week that will take. I’ve got a 15-½ yr old car that I put $3000 into to keep it safe when deliveries were delayed from April. I do a fair amount of long distance, very rural driving. really don’t want to put more into it but I’ve got a 2000 mile trip to the east coast in Oct. I can’t put off. I really need this car! I hope you’re right. But I guess I’m not getting it Sept 3 as previously possible. I’m sure, based on this forum, others go through similar situations. But its awful when it happens to you . AAUUGGHH.

Yeah I feel you. I had a similar situation when I ordered my Model 3 day 1, and it took a long time before I got it. Had to limp along my 16 yo car while I waited. No fun. We ordered the X anticipating we would need more space for our second child. That kid is now over a year old :) I've had my second wall connector installed since December, but so far have avoided buying up all the accessories. I'm really crossing my fingers that Tesla is just finally being conservative with the delivery time frames and people end up with their delivery earlier than their EDD.

My recommendation (as well as many others here) is to try to avoid planning anything until you get your VIN. And then unfortunately you will have to run around like a chicken with your head cut off trying to get everything in order. It is a short, stressful, whirlwind, but I've found it is quickly forgotten once you get the car.

Reactions: JBTMX
Got to vent. Anxiety level high. No VIN yet but EDD sep 1-22 in Kansas City. Just got off phone w Tesla Kansas City and was not helpful other that saying I’ve got 15 days from VIN but only 3 days to pick up car. I am 400 miles and, need I say, have a life. Needing to arrange transportation to KC since no trade in and no significant other. Boils down to 2 days to get to KC. I would rather deal with a blankety blankety salesman at a regular dealership than with this Tesla nonsense except that the car MX will be so good. Optimist. Thanks for letting me vent.
I get it. We have been a one car family since mid June. Waiting for the last minute narrow window schedule is a bit of a pain for those of us who have to travel distances to get our vehicles. My husband is flying out on Sept 1. Has to take a day off, reschedule meetings, and not to mention I have to drive him an hour to the airport in the wee hours of the morning. At least I’ll finally have my car!!! We have an SC 25 miles from where we live if there are issues with the car but they don’t do deliveries (long, politically charged story).

Reactions: Elixir
7 seaters were the last set to start production. I ordered my 7 seater in December 2020 and finally have a VIN assigned. I am surprised with a 6 seater, you weren't higher on the list, but seems the non plaid orders were pushed to the back (similar to me).
I've been under the impression that they're saving the middle row captain's chairs (limited supply) for Plaids whenever possible, so people with LR 6-seat are seeing more delays than the 5/7 seat crowd

I posted a poll in the Model X forum in case anybody wants to participate:

Just arrived home from Mt Kisco, NY Tesla. The overall delivery experience is below average. After I got home, I found there is no temporary plate. Lucky me did not get pulled by the police.

There is one issue with the driver-side falcon door. You can see the uneven top from the picture. I think another thread also mentioned this.
I have requested service and scheduled it for Sep 9th.

IMG_1862.jpg

I stopped by large brand new Tesla SC in Long Beach and talked to one of the sale person there, nice guy. The dealer just had grand opening past Monday and still quite empty with few customers are ordering and couple guys are picking up the M3 and MY. TJ says that my future MX delivery already switch to this location from Buena Park which is a lot smaller and I will be able to inspect inside the car before paying. I was able to get myself inside the MSP in showroom and put my hand on yoke, nice feeling. The car has the brand new scent but do not like how inconvenient getting in /out of the car. So if you are in South of LA and North of Orange county your DC may have been switched to Long Beach to accommodate larger car volume.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Kelryin