Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model S Longe Range - Real World Range Test?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a link to real world range test for the refreshed Model S Long Range?

I've found several tests for the Plaid, and other articles with Long Range estimates, but I'm trying to find 100% to 0% distance results from a structured test.

What is a structured test? In winter, you may lose 25% of your "estimated range". Do you want optimum results in optimum conditions going optimum speed, etc? The EPA range is this estimate. EV cars may lose 5% capacity in the first year. Should the test be done after the first year? All other tests will vary.

Reactions: mswlogo
I got my 2022 MS LR about 2 weeks ago. Last Saturday I went for about 220 mile trip - about 90% of which was highway driving with my AP set to 10mph over the speed limit. According to my calculations it's real world range was around 320-330 miles. I have 19 inch wheels with the covers removed. He covers would probably add about 20 miles of range.

Reactions: Gavram
What is a structured test? In winter, you may lose 25% of your "estimated range". Do you want optimum results in optimum conditions going optimum speed, etc? The EPA range is this estimate. EV cars may lose 5% capacity in the first year. Should the test be done after the first year? All other tests will vary.
A structured test would be one that captures the specifics of the route such as MPH, temp, elevation, wind, etc. with a 100%-0% range result. Something similar to InsideEvs: What's The Real World Highway Range Of Today's Electric Cars? We Test To Find Out or Edmunds: EV Range Test Roundup: How Far Can the Latest EVs Go? | Edmunds . They've tested many other EVs, including the Plaid, but I can't find one for the refreshed Long Range.

Range alone is only one thing to consider. I believe Tesla today could package their current battery to last 600 miles in optimum conditions, but they must also factor in recharging and battery longevity. Making a battery that contains the most energy or most mileage or provides the best performance may make it less than ideal for the long run of years or normal use. Tesla should have the most actual data and experience to build a battery car that ends up being a compromise for making the car electronics durable, perform well, and allow "quick" recharging with a very good range.

I’ve been regularly hitting about EPA range.

It really depends on how you plan to drive it. I generally don’t exceed 65mph.

240 wh/mi is needed to hit EPA range.

This last trip (Trip A, round trip) was in the 80’s with A/C going. Riding on 19” Michelin Sport AS.

My X lost like 5 miles range in 2.5 years and 26k miles. I expect the S to be similar.

52196043301_c79773f29c_b_d.jpg

Reactions: aerodyne and Gavram
A structured test would be one that captures the specifics of the route such as MPH, temp, elevation, wind, etc. with a 100%-0% range result. Something similar to InsideEvs: What's The Real World Highway Range Of Today's Electric Cars? We Test To Find Out or Edmunds: EV Range Test Roundup: How Far Can the Latest EVs Go? | Edmunds . They've tested many other EVs, including the Plaid, but I can't find one for the refreshed Long Range.
Structured tests are only useful for comparison between vehicles. It won't tell you how far you can go on your particular route at the time you're on it. Also, nobody in their right mind would drive 100% to 0%—you'd be charging for more than an hour and sweating bullets on arrival.

I just completed a 3,235 mile road trip from CO to PA and back and I averaged exactly 300wh/mi for the whole trip. Some segments were well under 250, some were over 350; some segments were downhill, some were uphill; some segments I drove 80-85MPH, others 70-75MPH. Never once did I charge more than 90% or arrive less than 10%. Longest charge was 35 minutes, most were 15-20. The car's destination SOC estimator was accurate to within +/- 2 percentage points at departure, which was very impressive. The longest distance between charges was at most 200 miles, which was more than my lower body was comfortable with without stopping to walk and stretch. Superchargers the whole way (except at our destinations in rural OH and PA, where we destination charged) made this trip super easy.

Anyway, at 300wh/mi, the 96.3kWh usable capacity of a brand new MSLR would take you 321 miles, 100% to 0%. But if you slow down, you can definitely do better than that.

My X lost like 5 miles range in 2.5 years and 26k miles. I expect the S to be similar.
Off topic, but HOW? My 2020 9-2020 Raven LR+ with H battery 371 EPA rated X was down to 354 miles at 100% on the app when at 80-90% actual charge. This was in June at 27k miles. Rarely Super Chaged, like 10% of total charges. Went to 100%about 5 times at home. Normally charged to 60-90 depending on daily expected usage. Never under 10% and normally never under 20 %. I tried to be easy on the battery.

Off topic, but HOW? My 2020 9-2020 Raven LR+ with H battery 371 EPA rated X was down to 354 miles at 100% on the app when at 80-90% actual charge. This was in June at 27k miles. Rarely Super Chaged, like 10% of total charges. Went to 100%about 5 times at home. Normally charged to 60-90 depending on daily expected usage. Never under 10% and normally never under 20 %. I tried to be easy on the battery.
Its an estimate. For the estimate to be maximally accurate, it needs much data. So #1 don't sweat it #2 occasioannly take a long trip, start at 95%, dive down to 20%, rinse and repeat. You will very likely regain much of your 'lost' range.

That’s still pretty good. 4.5% for 27K miles ~2 years.