Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the MSLR has the same issues, then M3P. I have hovered over the buy button for M3P a few times this week. To me having that smooth floating on a cloud driving experience is a key feature to driving a Tesla. Feeling like a bogged down ice engine between 30-45 mph is ruining that experience. Just my opinion though.
If I drive the car before I accept it, would the vibration be there immediately, or does it take time to develop?

Very cool Jeb! Need an honest opinion, if you were me and have not received my MSLR yet, would you still get it knowing about the vibration issue? I have the M3LR was thinking of maybe just going M3P. Also do you still havethe 19" tires? If you bought again would you get the 21's? Thanks for any opinions!!
Jeb, would I notice the vibration when picking up the car? Or does it happen over time?

I am going to throw a monkey wrench in to this discussion with the issue I am having. I have a 2021 MS Plaid. I took delivery Sept 2021. The car as 3300 miles. It has been flawless in terms of performance up until 2 weeks ago. I have 20" signature wheels (with friction lock) running Michelin Pilot All-season 4 XL. My tires were recently road force balanced 3 weeks before I felt the wheels slip off the tires when doing hard acceleration at a very slight curve on the highway. I felt the car pull me towards the median and with regen braking I was able to get the car back in control. I wasn't going too fast, it was just quick acceleration when this happened. Now ever since then, I am sensing a slight rubbing sound and vibration through the yoke and accelerator from 39 mph all the way up to 80mph on acceleration. When cruising without acceleration including regen, this is not present. It is present when Autopilot is accelerating. I went back to the tire shop thinking something is wrong with the wheel, and they told me it was slightly off balance again, and balanced it again. They didn't see a weight missing from the prior balancing done 3 weeks earlier. I have an appointment scheduled with Tesla 1.5 weeks from now, and I am trying to figure out whether this is a drive train issue or a tire issue. I have limited knowledge of how to tell the difference. Of course Tesla wants to charge me for diagnosing the source of the vibration, and even for fixing a faulty charge port door that won't open with a charger wand. This is my first Tesla, so any pointers on how to deal with Tesla SC will be appreciated.

I am going to throw a monkey wrench in to this discussion with the issue I am having. I have a 2021 MS Plaid. I took delivery Sept 2021. The car as 3300 miles. It has been flawless in terms of performance up until 2 weeks ago. I have 20" signature wheels (with friction lock) running Michelin Pilot All-season 4 XL. My tires were recently road force balanced 3 weeks before I felt the wheels slip off the tires when doing hard acceleration at a very slight curve on the highway. I felt the car pull me towards the median and with regen braking I was able to get the car back in control. I wasn't going too fast, it was just quick acceleration when this happened. Now ever since then, I am sensing a slight rubbing sound and vibration through the yoke and accelerator from 39 mph all the way up to 80mph on acceleration. When cruising without acceleration including regen, this is not present. It is present when Autopilot is accelerating. I went back to the tire shop thinking something is wrong with the wheel, and they told me it was slightly off balance again, and balanced it again. They didn't see a weight missing from the prior balancing done 3 weeks earlier. I have an appointment scheduled with Tesla 1.5 weeks from now, and I am trying to figure out whether this is a drive train issue or a tire issue. I have limited knowledge of how to tell the difference. Of course Tesla wants to charge me for diagnosing the source of the vibration, and even for fixing a faulty charge port door that won't open with a charger wand. This is my first Tesla, so any pointers on how to deal with Tesla SC will be appreciated.
Sounds similar to our vibrations. It only happens under light acceleration around 40-50 mph. You can tell for sure by going into track mode. Slide the torque bias to the rear and the vibration will completely disappear. As soon as you slide it to the front, it will come right back, even while you are driving and holding a light acceleration up a small hill.

Welcome to Tesla service. We're not happy until you're not happy.

I'll bet Tesla will insist you broke the car. Can you put the stock wheels back on?

The charge port wand should not be an issue. Place a short vid in the service request, showing it won't open. This is a known problem.
I did add the video, and they insisted it was my wall charger. I then tested with the mobile connector and it did the same thing. Isn't it the bluetooth receiver on the cars that is causing this issue?

Sounds similar to our vibrations. It only happens under light acceleration around 40-50 mph. You can tell for sure by going into track mode. Slide the torque bias to the rear and the vibration will completely disappear. As soon as you slide it to the front, it will come right back, even while you are driving and holding a light acceleration up a small hill.
I feel mine is a little different as it happening over the 50mph mark as well. Especially since this started happening after an event that I experienced. I am only sensing it from the front right motor. Are you experiencing it from both front motors?

I feel mine is a little different as it happening over the 50mph mark as well. Especially since this started happening after an event that I experienced. I am only sensing it from the front right motor. Are you experiencing it from both front motors?

Only one motor up there, but two driveshafts. Perhaps the right one is out of wack or related suspension damage.

Of course Tesla wants to charge me for diagnosing the source of the vibration, and even for fixing a faulty charge port door that won't open with a charger wand.
Sometime during the past couple of years, Tesla started showing service costs on their estimates, even for vehicles under warranty. I was told by a mobile technician that they do this to let owners know how much it will cost if not covered by warranty. Of course, anything covered by warranty will not be charged.

Sometime during the past couple of years, Tesla started showing service costs on their estimates, even for vehicles under warranty. I was told by a mobile technician that they do this to let owners know how much it will cost if not covered by warranty. Of course, anything covered by warranty will not be charged.
Thanks for letting me know. I asked the SC via in-app messaging whether my aftermarket wheels would be an issue with in-warranty coverage, and they replied no that would not be an issue. From what I read on this forum, I should put back my stock 21" before taking it in for service.