Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's could be an extremely expensive short term experiment, given the soul crushing depreciation of these vehicles from new.
That's what I did... I spun the wheel again after my buyback. I don't think I will have as brutal depreciation this time, since it was $89k this time, instead of $146k. I don't think there's much point in doing another fire sale on the S/X, when they could drop the 3/Y price by just a few thousand dollars and make the same amount of additional revenue.

They likely did what I suggested almost 2 years ago. Shifted power to the rear motors under light acceleration in the 40-50 mph range. I don't think they changed the power under wide open acceleration. It still feels very strong. But, that is why we lost ~2 miles of range.

Didn't we lose 48 miles of range ;)

All joking aside, I don't think it's a change under light acceleration but under moderate...although that is a subjective term. If you get on the freeway and use cruise control, this change should not factor into before and after change range.

They likely did what I suggested almost 2 years ago. Shifted power to the rear motors under light acceleration in the 40-50 mph range. I don't think they changed the power under wide open acceleration. It still feels very strong. But, that is why we lost ~2 miles of range.

So is this software change sufficient? Are those with the (30-40mph) nasty vibration problem satisfied?

So is this software change sufficient? Are those with the (30-40mph) nasty vibration problem satisfied?
It’s not gone. It is greatly reduced with the 2023.44 update for most, but it will never be gone, it seems. If you’re going up inclines at a constant 35-50mph or thereabouts you’ll feel it more than on flat. It is the way it is. If you want a 100% smooth drivetrain you don’t buy a Model S. It’s that simple.

I thought the software update would be enough to cover over the problem.

The issue fixed by lowering the car is the same issue that has resulted in endless cv/half shaft replacements for the last 10 years. I went through 3 sets of replacements myself on my P85D until I lowered the car an inch.

I should say "re-lowered", because that inch lowering was just returning the car to the old stock height. In 2014, Tesla raised the car 1" after the bad press due to battery damage from debris strikes. When they raised the car, they started a long journey of pain and suffering for thousands.

The issue never returned after I lowered the car.

Their software update, which makes it better, just makes it better. If you lower the car when new, there's a good chance you'll never even need the software update, but both combined should do a great job of preventing the problem from ever happening.

It's been a while since I issued this warning. If you have lowering links, you MUST remove them before an alignment done by Tesla otherwise your car will be returned to stock height WITH the lowering links installed since they do a ride height calibration as part of the alignment.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
The issue fixed by lowering the car is the same issue that has resulted in endless cv/half shaft replacements for the last 10 years. I went through 3 sets of replacements myself on my P85D until I lowered the car an inch.

I should say "re-lowered", because that inch lowering was just returning the car to the old stock height. In 2014, Tesla raised the car 1" after the bad press due to battery damage from debris strikes. When they raised the car, they started a long journey of pain and suffering for thousands.

The issue never returned after I lowered the car.

Their software update, which makes it better, just makes it better. If you lower the car when new, there's a good chance you'll never even need the software update, but both combined should do a great job of preventing the problem from ever happening.

It's been a while since I issued this warning. If you have lowering links, you MUST remove them before an alignment done by Tesla otherwise your car will be returned to stock height WITH the lowering links installed since they do a ride height calibration as part of the alignment.
Lowering the car in New England would increase debris strikes. The battery would be fine, but other low hanging *sugar* would get crunched. Sounds worth it though.