Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect it is an internal article and not a TSB. (I checked and can't find any TSB related to this issue.)
Yeah, this wouldn't surprise me. My 2022 S Plaid had an issue for half a year where it would simply not wake up from sleep from any mobile device remotely (BT was fine, remotely was not). If Sentry were enabled, no issue (because the car wasn't asleep), but otherwise - nope. As far as I'm aware, there was never a TSB for something like this, but Tesla was aware (they couldn't even connect to the car when it was asleep), and it did get fixed about six months later. Other people had the same issue with 3s, Ys etc.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
What is in artificial XXXXX as referenced in the facebook post above and why was the article number redacted?
I am the one who posted this in a Facebook reply. I have asked my contact for the article. Otherwise I am going there during the week to get it. I love the car but can’t stand the vibration. Mine is a little different than the typical shudder. I’ve been there three times about this and only now I get told this.

How could it be a software issue? How could the drive electronics be altered to avoid vibration? By avoiding some resonance the poles in the motor produce at certain RPMs? Makes no sense.
Well, it's not a software issue. It's a hardware problem with the half shafts. But, it can be fixed (or hidden) with software. They could de-activate or reduce the torque from the front motor at the critical speeds (between 40-50 mph) to eliminate the vibration. But, likely at the expense of some range, since the front motor is more efficient than the rear motors, and under light load I believe they use the front motor exclusively.

But, likely at the expense of some range, since the front motor is more efficient than the rear motors, and under light load I believe they use the front motor exclusively.
Nope. The refresh Model S and X moved to using permanent magnet motors both front and rear, the first for Tesla, and you can't free-wheel a PM motor. Other people that use PM motors on both ends, Rivian/Kia/Hyundai, have implemented a driveline disconnect so that they can physically disconnect one motor under light load for efficiency. Tesla didn't so they have to run both of them all of the time and keep them in sync.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Well, it's not a software issue. It's a hardware problem with the half shafts. But, it can be fixed (or hidden) with software. They could de-activate or reduce the torque from the front motor at the critical speeds (between 40-50 mph) to eliminate the vibration. But, likely at the expense of some range, since the front motor is more efficient than the rear motors, and under light load I believe they use the front motor exclusively.
What about my 80+ mph vibration? I don’t have the 40-50 mph vibration in my 2023 that I had in my 2021

I am the one who posted this in a Facebook reply. I have asked my contact for the article. Otherwise I am going there during the week to get it. I love the car but can’t stand the vibration. Mine is a little different than the typical shudder. I’ve been there three times about this and only now I get told this.
Was this the Tyco Rd SC?

Nope. The refresh Model S and X moved to using permanent magnet motors both front and rear, the first for Tesla, and you can't free-wheel a PM motor. Other people that use PM motors on both ends, Rivian/Kia/Hyundai, have implemented a driveline disconnect so that they can physically disconnect one motor under light load for efficiency. Tesla didn't so they have to run both of them all of the time and keep them in sync.
Sure, but they can control how much current goes to each. Whatever the track mode rear torque bias does eliminates the vibration.
Maybe there wouldn't be that much of an efficiency hit then. Just a simple software fix would do it....

Reactions: jebinc and MP3Mike

I think we go to the same SC. I've been told to wait after my half shaft replacement also.

Daniel is my go-to guy there. Usually works afternoons. Everyone else sucks