Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed "Raven" Model S/X Suspension using Maxwell ultra capacitor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Active adaptive suspension that the new model S/X are using could it be this?

https://www.maxwell.com/solutions/transportation/active-suspension

looks like the ultracapcitors are already in :)

very cool. this is exactly the refresh description describes about the new adaptive suspension with quicker response

If anyone receive their new "raven" model S/X please chime in on your experience would be great.

I am surprised that media has been quiet about this let this one slip through

Last edited:
Reactions: SPadival
I see no evidence that Tesla’s new adaptive suspension works in the way you speculate. It’s done via software that Tesla created, not a third party hardware solution.

See Tesla’s blog at The Longest-Range Electric Vehicle Now Goes Even Farther

Quote:

Fully Adaptive Suspension
We’ve also upgraded our air suspension system for Model S and Model X with fully-adaptive damping, giving it an ultra-cushioned feel when cruising on the highway or using Autopilot, and a responsive, exhilarating confidence during dynamic driving. Unlike other manufacturers, our suspension software is developed completely in-house, using a predictive model to anticipate how the damping will need to be adjusted based on the road, speed, and other vehicle and driver inputs. The system constantly adapts by sensing the road and adjusting for driver behavior, automatically softening for more pronounced road inputs and firming for aggressive driving. We’ve also improved the leveling of the system while cruising, keeping the car low to optimize aerodynamic drag. As with all of Tesla’s in-house software, the adaptive suspension can receive over-the-air updates, allowing us to enable all Model S and Model X customers to have the most advanced suspension technology at all times.

the ultra capacitor is not the suspension. It is used for adaptive suspension for fast reaction time storing energy from the battery for max power output and adjustment from the battery management system and also computerized suspension setting that Tesla body control module is using.

The suspension system is made in house by Tesla. probably using the ultra capacitor to make the automatic adaptive suspension to work efficiently without hunting for frequent sudden power draws from the Main battery pack, since they can temporary store the energy into these ultracapacitors without wearing out the Main battery.

With ultracapacitors , Tesla can now constantly adjust the suspension setting in real time (and not using a step function where either user can only set it to speed, or manually adjust it on , occasion).

Elon is a sly fox.... :) it's a great idea

HM-coilover-image-1.jpg

99.5% sure it's not a capacitor. Try not to let confirmation bias get you.

You guys want to bet some money on this? After reading the technicals on the maxwell system, I'm now 100% sure that's not what this is.

1 bitcoin? j/k. guys I just want Elon to fix the shudder suspension cracking issues, so that people stop replacing the half-shafts and have vehicle hitting the wheels causing gradual damage and pre-mature tire wear due to poor suspension design and adjustable suspension implementation.

I wouldn't touch anything from first 4 month of 2019 to all the previous versions of model S/X due to suspension issues

Reactions: Cowby and Cloxxki