Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Used Tesla Ordering Process - Need Advice and Feedback..

daverosen5

Apr 16, 2019
Austin, TX
I am still stunned beyond belief..

I spoke with a Tesla Used car advisor now regarding ordering a Used Model 3 and he told me on their new policies.

-They no longer provide pictures or let you know if there is anything wrong with the car before ordering.
-The deposit has now been raised from $100 to $500 and along with the delivery fee, which are not refundable if you were to say no on delivery day.

I have purchased a new M3 in the past and most recently a used MX, both from Tesla.
The MX came with a variety of cosmetic problems that I was ok with due to the pictures showing it ahead of time.
When I was taking delivery, the MX was a mess on the interior and I told them it's BS that they did any check at all before passing it to me. They said take it or leave it (Austin Pond Springs location).

To me, this is insanely un-incentivizing for someone to order a used car simply based on the two rendered Tesla 3D Model pictures and the standard ten specs they provide.

PNWLeccy

Jul 11, 2019
Seattle

I spoke with a Tesla Used car advisor now regarding ordering a Used Model 3 and he told me on their new policies.

-They no longer provide pictures or let you know if there is anything wrong with the car before ordering.
-The deposit has now been raised from $100 to $500 and along with the delivery fee, which are not refundable if you were to say no on delivery day.

I have purchased a new M3 in the past and most recently a used MX, both from Tesla.
The MX came with a variety of cosmetic problems that I was ok with due to the pictures showing it ahead of time.
When I was taking delivery, the MX was a mess on the interior and I told them it's BS that they did any check at all before passing it to me. They said take it or leave it (Austin Pond Springs location).

To me, this is insanely un-incentivizing for someone to order a used car simply based on the two rendered Tesla 3D Model pictures and the standard ten specs they provide.
I ordered used in 2019 and there was no delivery fee which effectively made it $1200 cheaper than buying new from that standpoint. Are you saying in addition to the $100 order fee, there is now an additional $500 delivery fee for used cars?

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA

Your post says "need advice and feedback". What are you looking to get advice and feedback on? Whether we would buy a used tesla (or any used car) under those circumstances? If thats what you are looking for feedback on, my answer is "no, I wouldnt". You are probably right, they ARE dis incentivizing someone from buying a used car, they would rather sell you a new one.

You are also in Texas, and tesla doesnt sell cars in texas. they sell you a car in some other state and then DELIVER it to texas, because of your states laws. These policies you are talking about may (or may not) apply to other states where they can sell cars. I dont know.

I DO know that because of texas (and a few other state) laws that protect car dealers, they cant actually sell you the car in texas. They can deliver you one, but cant sell it to you, so they sell you the car in a neighboring state then ship it to you in texas (maybe why there are no refunds for delivery fees there).

I would be surprised if the fact you are in texas (and tesla has to skirt these laws there) is not a part of this.

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
(moderator note: moved to model S forum by mistake. since I dont have rights here, requested it be moved to model 3 ordering subforum. No need to mention to OP they posted in wrong subforum as this is my mistake, not the OPs)

(edit: moderators of model S forum moved this to the correct location for me, so its in the correct place now)

Last edited:

PNWLeccy

Jul 11, 2019
Seattle
You are also in Texas, and tesla doesnt sell cars in texas. they sell you a car in some other state and then DELIVER it to texas, because of your states laws. These policies you are talking about may (or may not) apply to other states where they can sell cars. I dont know.
Nice catch. I'm guessing that explains the delivery fee

BlackM3

Nov 2, 2017
Sherman Oaks, Los Angeles, CA
If you need FSD and want to save $10K : Order used from tesla website and take the risk of refusing delivery after seeing it in person.
If you don't need the $10K FSD : Then view all the photos and order Teslas from Shift (test drive first) or Carvana or Vroom (I think all 3 websites have 7-day return policy). Good luck to all!

CapeOne

Jun 14, 2016
New England
Nice catch. I'm guessing that explains the delivery fee

If by "delivery fee" you are referring to the "transportation fee", that would apply to every state. It depends on where the car is located and being delivered e.g., if the car is in Illinois and being shipped to Massachusetts, the transportation fee may be $1k. The farther the distance, the higher the fee. It's similar to what places like CarMax or Carvana might charge to transport a car.

You could avoid the transportation fee if you are willing to go to the where the car is, accept delivery there, and then drive it home yourself.

Last edited:

Yama95

Jan 22, 2021
San Diego
I had a nightmare experience trying to buy a used 2018 Model 3 w/ FSD. Showed up at scheduled delivery time and literally was called while waiting in line that car was not ready. Told me to come back an hour later. One hour later they have me the run around and said it may not be ready until the next day. To say was pissed was an understatement.

Finally, got someone to level with me and the car had a alive mouse in the engine compartment that had chewed through everything. If I had not demanded to know what the heck was going on, I may have eventually driven off with that car. No way I would purchase that car, ever! I also had to demand my non-refundable $500 deposit back, which they eventually did.

At the end of the day They were able to accommodate me that same day by selling me a new 2021 M3. I am extremely happy with my purchase, so not all was lost. But after having suffered this experience, no way I ever buy a used Tesla from Tesla again.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin

daverosen5

Apr 16, 2019
Austin, TX
As of yesterday I have went through with the blind order.
The incentive of FSD was too hard to pass up, and I hope I will not get a banged up car at the end of the day.

natman316

Dec 26, 2020
Bay area
yeah I had a similar experience, when waiting for my M3 order, I nearly picked an instock Demo model Y they had in stock instead but no pictures. No way I’d by a used/ demo car sight unseen.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC