Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reg Number before delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case it's of use to anyone, the reg number shows up in the source code of the /product-finalize page when it's been assigned in the background.

I'm picking up my M3P+ on Monday, and my reg is there now, though Tesla haven't told me it yet.

Either search the source code for "licencePlateNumber" or, if in Chrome, open dev tools (Command+option+c / control+shift+c) and paste the following before hitting enter:

Tesla.ProductF.Data.RegDelivery.RegAddress.licensePlateNumber
Just checked and there is a reg there for me as well. Not sorting my insurance out until tomorrow morning so lets see if they send a text out with the same reg today

• Informative
Reactions: Chalks99 and Roy W.
Picked up my Model3 from Heathrow on Saturday. Was also worried because I only received my reg a day before and was not able to sort out insurance in time.

Just so everyone knows, Tesla does not actually ask for any insurance documents/proof. They just tell you that you need insurance to drive the car. What I did was I picked my car up, and just drove it out of the lot and parked at one of the superchargers/parking area and sorted out my insurance over the phone while parked there.

Wouldn't be too worried about it now. Try and get your insurance sorted out beforehand obviously, but if you're not able to, don't worry too much. Pick the car up and then ring the insurance company or do it over your phone/laptop while you're parked outside the pickup centre.

Reactions: pow216
I would have thought that one of highest possibilities of having an accident was the first 150 yards out of the West Drayton service centre. The unfamiliarity that most will have with the car and the hustle and bustle of everyone parking up right outside along with other vehicle and pedestrian movements, its a short, but pretty high risk drive imho. I'm not sure that not enough notice to sort insurance in time would cut it in the eyes of the law if you had a prang.

I would have thought that one of highest possibilities of having an accident was the first 150 yards out of the West Drayton service centre. The unfamiliarity that most will have with the car and the hustle and bustle of everyone parking up right outside along with other vehicle and pedestrian movements, its a short, but pretty high risk drive imho. I'm not sure that not enough notice to sort insurance in time would cut it in the eyes of the law if you had a prang.

Agreed. My fiance was driving very weirdly the first 5-10 mins. He couldnt take his eyes and hands off the screen. Both me and the car had to shout at him keep your hands on the wheel throughout the journey!

If that were to happen you probably deserve to crash your car.

then again, tesla is the safest car in the world. If you were going to crash... the car would slam the brakes itself. Had a heart attack this morning myself when a cyclist cut in infront of me in 15-20mph traffic and the car automatically slammed the brakes full power.

Reactions: Mulprs
I’m jealous of those here getting £320 quotes... I checked on a comparison site a few weeks ago to make sure insurance was generally affordable before placing an order for a P, cheapest was £1250 with Churchill. Got my email last week with date of 3 Dec, the original quote had run out so I had to hit “re-quote” button with exactly same info, now cheapest is £3200.... with Churchill! Ok I live in London but age 48, 13yrs NCB, clean license, no previous claims. Called them up to ask how it could jump 2k in the 2 weeks since the quote expired, the best explanation they could offer was that it’s closer to the required start date

Tried the usual suspects since then, cheapest so far is £1900 with £2k excess! I’m actually considering cancelling the order now, although I did get an initial figure last night from Hastings of £1100 but they can’t make it a proper quote until I have a reg. Which I presume doesn’t happen until I pay Tesla the balance? If so, it’s a catch 22 in that I can’t decide whether to cancel the order until after I’ve paid in full. It’s kind of taken the shine off the experience!

I’m jealous of those here getting £320 quotes... I checked on a comparison site a few weeks ago to make sure insurance was generally affordable before placing an order for a P, cheapest was £1250 with Churchill. Got my email last week with date of 3 Dec, the original quote had run out so I had to hit “re-quote” button with exactly same info, now cheapest is £3200.... with Churchill! Ok I live in London but age 48, 13yrs NCB, clean license, no previous claims. Called them up to ask how it could jump 2k in the 2 weeks since the quote expired, the best explanation they could offer was that it’s closer to the required start date

Tried the usual suspects since then, cheapest so far is £1900 with £2k excess! I’m actually considering cancelling the order now, although I did get an initial figure last night from Hastings of £1100 but they can’t make it a proper quote until I have a reg. Which I presume doesn’t happen until I pay Tesla the balance? If so, it’s a catch 22 in that I can’t decide whether to cancel the order until after I’ve paid in full. It’s kind of taken the shine off the experience!

don’t bother with the online stuff. Go old school and use the phone.
I went with a local broker (Abbey Insurance) and got it all sorted quite quickly. The online computers throw out some crazy numbers
A few calls from broker to AXA and it was all sorted.

• Helpful
Reactions: Roy W.
Sorry that sounded more like an insurance-related post than I intended... my reason for posting was to ask whether it’s possible to get the reg before paying the balance so I can make a decision on whether I want to go ahead.

I've had a reasonable online quote for my LR AWD from LV at around £600. Due to pick up Wednesday next week but can't finalise the insurance without the registration number. I've saved the quote so am hoping it will be honoured even if I only provide the registration number on the day. However, I've seen others saying how quotes have gone up as the pick-up date approaches.Has this happened with LV?

Sorry that sounded more like an insurance-related post than I intended... my reason for posting was to ask whether it’s possible to get the reg before paying the balance so I can make a decision on whether I want to go ahead.
Not with a new car. I don't think that is possible. To issue a VRM, the vehicle needs to be registered to the owner.

I've had a reasonable online quote for my LR AWD from LV at around £600. Due to pick up Wednesday next week but can't finalise the insurance without the registration number. I've saved the quote so am hoping it will be honoured even if I only provide the registration number on the day. However, I've seen others saying how quotes have gone up as the pick-up date approaches.Has this happened with LV?

I had a quote from LV and told them I wouldn't be able to provide the registration number until probably the day I was picking the car up. They seemed used to the problems with Tesla purchasing, and just made a note on the file. I rang them as soon as I knew the number and they just put it on the policy and emailed the certificate etc within a few minutes.

I should add that I did this over the 'phone, as it was easier and more reliable than trying to do it online (been caught by their online system before).

Not with a new car. I don't think that is possible. To issue a VRM, the vehicle needs to be registered to the owner.
It is entirely possible. DVLA give a bunch of reg numbers to each delivery location and they get to keep them until they use them or the plate change month arrives. As soon as a car is assigned to a delivery centre there is no reason Tesla could not reserve one of that locations reg nums against that VIN and give it the customer. They just can't be bothered. Most new car dealers let you pick your number from their allocated set weeks in advance. Tesla are using the same DVLA systems as everyone else.

You usually get a two week cooling off period - if you cancel during that period they’ll refund you the premium minus the amount corresponding to the few days cover you had.

I found my premium had gone way up by the time I got the reg the day before, so I got a policy starting the next day and then got a cheaper one (different insurer) starting 10 days later and cancelled the first one at the appropriate point.

It is entirely possible. DVLA give a bunch of reg numbers to each delivery location and they get to keep them until they use them or the plate change month arrives. As soon as a car is assigned to a delivery centre there is no reason Tesla could not reserve one of that locations reg nums against that VIN and give it the customer. They just can't be bothered. Most new car dealers let you pick your number from their allocated set weeks in advance. Tesla are using the same DVLA systems as everyone else.
Possible, yes - with a traditional dealership network where each outlet is delivering a handful of cars a day. With Tesla, VINs are provisional until final payment is made. I got my VRM a week before delivery by simply calling Tesla and asking.