Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen braking and neck pain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. It’s called One Pedal driving. Let off the accelerator gradually to start slowing down.

2. using the brake pedal absolutely still uses regen. Watch the green bar under the speedometer. That’s regen.

3. Cold weather has pretty much 0 impact on regen. The BMS ensures the battery can take a charge unless you’re at 100%. But the car tells you in that situation.

We bought my 75 year old father a Model 3 LR. His favorite feature is One Pedal driving.

Reactions: brkaus and Kamban
Here's anecdotal evidence. I use low regen on my LR AWD because I have a medical history of foot pain. I'm not a fan of one pedal driving. I prefer Creep + low regen, so it's like an ICE with a slushbox automatic. I use autopilot as much as possible and it will regen aggressively if it needs to stop. The one pedal driving sentiment here is like manual transmission enthusiasts talking down about automatics (and I've owned many manuals, I like to coast in them).

I tend to coast a lot more and I'm still getting 270 wh/mile (EPA rating is 290 , I have a 42 mile highway round trip commute).

If standard regen is literally causing you pain (as it did for me), don't use it. Healthcare and pain is not worth the possible energy savings of standard regen!

I tend to coast a lot more and I'm still getting 270 wh/mile (EPA rating is 290 , I have a 42 mile highway round trip commute).
Is that measured at the wall? the EPA measures from the wall, to get the actual EPA range you need to be getting 242Wh/mi on the trip computer.
I guess I drive aggressively because I feel like one pedal driving doesn't increase my pedal usage. Often I just have my foot off the accelerator or brake when stopping whereas if I were using low regen I'd have to be using my leg. Cruise control is the way to go though if you're trying to minimize leg usage.

Is that measured at the wall? the EPA measures from the wall, to get the actual EPA range you need to be getting 242Wh/mi on the trip computer.

Close. The trip computer reads about 4.7% low as far as we can tell. Also confusing the issue is that the 310 rated miles displayed aren't the same as the 310 rated miles the EPA came up with (because of the reserve). Ends up close to your number though.

To get the EPA range in the LR AWD (and the 29kWh/100mi rating from the wall), you need to be at (on the trip meter):

78kWh/310rmi / 1.047 = 240Wh/mi

To be clear, you'd need to see 230-235Wh/mi on the trip meter to see "mile-for-mile" rolloff of your rated miles. However, you'd be doing better than EPA there - because you'd be able to drive 310 miles and you'd still have a couple kWh left after hitting 0 miles (if you're really lucky - definitely would advise against this)!

I guess I never thought about measuring from the wall vs the trip computer. I'm just going by the trip computer in the MCU, overall consumption since I bought the car (trip B or whatever). I charge at a public level 2 charger at work.

I typically get about 240 wh/mile on my commute if it's in heavy traffic (lower speed, more regen) and about 270 if I'm going 80mph most of the way due to light traffic, again measured at the trip computer.

OP On our first Tesla, an MS, I was new to regen and set it to low for a short period of time to get use to it. When you lift your foot off the accelertor too quickly, you'll get that kind of abrupt feel to braking and feel it in your head. Don't get discouraged though. I too think with a few days/week use of it you will be better at smoothly lifting your toe area off the accelerator for regen to kick in more gently.

It doesn't take much movement of your foot on the pedal for the regen to start to work. No quick movements are necessary to start to slow down. I would describe it as your heel is planted and acts like a hinge and it's primarily your toe area of your foot that is used the most in regen braking, gently lifting the toes away from the accelerator as needed for braking action to slow down and then back to depressing the pedal again for more speed accelerating forward. It takes a little practice when your first experiencing it but as others have said the sensation will smooth out and you'll be ready to use Standard. I drove stick for many years and loved that feel. It's nice to see the green line under your speed knowing your putting power back into the battery.

1. It’s called One Pedal driving. Let off the accelerator gradually to start slowing down.

2. using the brake pedal absolutely still uses regen. Watch the green bar under the speedometer. That’s regen.

3. Cold weather has pretty much 0 impact on regen. The BMS ensures the battery can take a charge unless you’re at 100%. But the car tells you in that situation.

We bought my 75 year old father a Model 3 LR. His favorite feature is One Pedal driving.

We live in the Bay area too and during the winter (sometimes if the temps are even in the 50s) in the morning we'll see the alert about Regen being reduced. Stays on until the car has been driven for maybe 10 min. and warmed up. Battery was no where near 100% full as we for the most part charge to 80%-90% only. Just wanted to clarify that cold weather can still have an impact on regen in those conditions. All this means is that you may want to start your regen braking sooner and you might use the brake to come to a complete stop sooner too.

Just need more time. It's been what, a week? Lots of people will say the transition to one-pedal driving is easy and it becomes second nature quickly. That was not the case for me. It took me a good 2-3 months before getting over the life-long habit of lifting off the accelerator to coast to a stop. During that time it felt odd to keep pressing the accelerator, yet slow down at the same time. The ride was definitely jerky from lifting completely off the pedal. I've had the car for almost 1.5 years and can't imagine driving any other way. Whenever I drive an ICE now, I feel like it's not responsive and I get the sensation that the car is running away from me until I apply the brake.

If you drove a manual, the transition to getting comfortable with one-pedal driving might be faster because you would often lift the throttle and lift off the clutch, to engage it, at the same time to use engine braking to slow the vehicle. So, lifting off the throttle to slow in a Tesla seems fairly familiar.