Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen braking changes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model 3 was in the shop for three months and, at the time it went in there, it was way behind on software updates. In addition to all the repairs that were done from my accident, the software was upgraded through a bunch of versions. One change I’ve noticed since getting it back is that I am using the brake pedal more, as if the regen braking has been reduced. Do you think there is a problem with the repair or was there a change in the software doing this? Am I going crazy?

My model 3 was in the shop for three months and, at the time it went in there, it was way behind on software updates. In addition to all the repairs that were done from my accident, the software was upgraded through a bunch of versions. One change I’ve noticed since getting it back is that I am using the brake pedal more, as if the regen braking has been reduced. Do you think there is a problem with the repair or was there a change in the software doing this? Am I going crazy?

Yes, a little.
I have not detected any changes to regen braking levels over the past 4-5 software updates.
Do 2x check that the same regen braking setting is selected as when you dropped the car off at the shop!

a

For what it’s worth I’ve noticed this too. I’m on 2019.12.1.2.

I've also noticed this. It is too bad; I really liked it when it was stronger. Having to use my brakes so much more now.

I agree, I've noticed and use my brakes more. My theory is that the initial regeneration kick-in level has been reduced, to smooth out the ride. It would be nice to have an option to tune regen braking directly. Or at least a thrid setting for "Full" with a warning that it could be a rougher ride.

IMO It the old way was safer; For sudden hard stops you have harder regen braking as soon as your foot is off the accelerator, ie in the instant before your foot gets over to the brake.

Does anyone notice that while in "track mode" regen brakes still seems to stop hard initially?
I'm curious about your opinions.

call me skeptical, but there are tons of threads out there claiming regen got nerfed on such and such firmware release. And people always insist they aren't mistaken. But search around and you'll find charts of regen curves that have been pretty stable through all the firmware releases. The exception being the publicized INCREASE in regen that Model 3 got last October.

Nocebo effect - related to placebo effect, but for negative outcomes.

call me skeptical, but there are tons of threads out there claiming regen got nerfed on such and such firmware release. And people always insist they aren't mistaken. But search around and you'll find charts of regen curves that have been pretty stable through all the firmware releases. The exception being the publicized INCREASE in regen that Model 3 got last October.

Nocebo effect - related to placebo effect, but for negative outcomes.

Definitely seems there is a "Safari is snappier" scenario going on here.