Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Braking to low button?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My daughter asked about limiting the regeneration. She doesn’t like, when car slips on icy surface because of it.

I have driven with Tesla eight years so I’m used to it, but I think that user should have an opportunity to choose.

I think that the risk of aquaplaning is the main reason for requiring a lower regenerative braking option. Many people who have been driving conventional cars for years know no better than that when you drive through a (deep) puddle you should NOT brake, but should release your accelerator first. And that is exactly what they do in such a moment of panic, no matter how many times you have told yourself not to do that in your new Tesla.
Result: full braking and a car that slides off the road without control. Just look at some Tesla accident footage on YouTube!

Reactions: jsmay311
My parents (late 60's) wants to buy the car but they dont want to learn the feather breaking/one pedal. When they test drove both Y and 3, they're just not used to it and did not like the sudden breaking. I did try to help alleviate it with adjustments but it's just something that my parents are not comfortable with. I feel like having this option doesnt hurt anyone. Telling someone to learn it is not something I would agree with in this case especially when the options were previously available.

Other manufacturers have tried to accommodate the old muscle memory issue of letting go of the accelerator by having the brake pedal be the main or only control of regen. At least a few years ago. I think most have switched to one pedal driving. Having to use two different pedal to accelerate or slow down is just an old unnecessary burden. It makes driving in traffic less comfortable. Driving an EV without regen, which is what you do if you eliminate it from the accelerator pedal, you are getting 20% less range. Yes I have tested this *extensively* using CAN bus data in all three of my Tesla vehicles. It is 20% in typical city driving.

I was a very early adopter. Had an EV in the 90s, got my first Tesla in 2014 and loved the tech. I still needed weeks to fully getting used to one pedal driving. It is literally the first thing *everyone* says when they first drive an EV. They don't like how the car slows down when they let go of the pedal. And once they got used to it, it's the thing that everyone loves about driving an EV.

Reactions: father_of_6
It is literally the first thing *everyone* says when they first drive an EV. They don't like how the car slows down when they let go of the pedal. And once they got used to it, it's the thing that everyone loves about driving an EV.

That's just the human nature of "resistance to change", but once you're used to it (or if you embrace it from the start), I can't imagine anyone wanting to go back.

My assumption is that the only people asking for a low or no regen option just haven't taken the time to get used to one pedal driving.

I feel like having this option doesnt hurt anyone.

It literally does though. Brake pads still commonly contain asbestos, so each time you use the friction brakes you're emitting aerosol asbestos. Lung cancer delivery device on wheels.

Also, the energy for driving has to come from somewhere, and until it's 100% renewable, that added 20% of energy consumption from not using regen is a significant source of pollution.

I'm not trying to beat anyone down with a green stick... but this isn't even a sacrifice. On a test drive of just an hour, one may not become used to it... but it doesn't take very long at all to become proficient with one pedal driving... and there are so many benefits.

Reactions: MacTessy and EddYct
Other manufacturers have tried to accommodate the old muscle memory issue of letting go of the accelerator by having the brake pedal be the main or only control of regen. At least a few years ago. I think most have switched to one pedal driving. Having to use two different pedal to accelerate or slow down is just an old unnecessary burden. It makes driving in traffic less comfortable. Driving an EV without regen, which is what you do if you eliminate it from the accelerator pedal, you are getting 20% less range. Yes I have tested this *extensively* using CAN bus data in all three of my Tesla vehicles. It is 20% in typical city driving.

I was a very early adopter. Had an EV in the 90s, got my first Tesla in 2014 and loved the tech. I still needed weeks to fully getting used to one pedal driving. It is literally the first thing *everyone* says when they first drive an EV. They don't like how the car slows down when they let go of the pedal. And once they got used to it, it's the thing that everyone loves about driving an EV.
Most other EVs offer the choice of one pedal or blended braking. There is little to no efficiency penalty for using blended braking in other EVs (as long as you’re not slamming the brakes every time).

But yes there is an efficiency penalty in a Tesla for low/no regen because Tesla doesn’t have blended braking and the brake pedal uses friction brakes 100% of the time.

That’s likely the reason Tesla does not provide that option anymore, because it would reduce their EPA rating if low/no regen option was still available.

Reactions: gtae07
wants to buy the car but they dont want to learn
Don't want to learn, we'll that's another problem. Things are changing, people have to learn new things. If no, then it's best to stick with what you already know. It's like choosing to stay with Microsoft Bob instead of moving to Microsoft 11.
1000026326.jpg

This is still consider a hack on Tesla. I hesitate to use such a device.
It sends CAN messages to the car. That's what the car uses to communicate throughout its components. Anything you do through the touch screen is communicated via the CAN bus. The S3XY buttons do the same thing. It's not a hack. It just adds physical buttons.

• Informative
Reactions: GtiMart
It is a hack by definition. Regen setting is not available unless hacked by S3XY buttons.
My point is that the term 'hack' is used in a way that it was something bad, harmful and illegal. Not the case with this accessory. It enables a feature that has been designed by the manufacturer, just not accessible to the user right now. It's like a car that has a electrical connector for a trailer but the manufacturer decided to hide it unless you pay for the tow package. Is it a hack to use it? No it's not. For some reason everything that is done in the digital world is called hacking.

Reactions: zoomer0056
My point is that the term 'hack' is used in a way that it was something bad, harmful and illegal. Not the case with this accessory. It enables a feature that has been designed by the manufacturer, just not accessible to the user right now. It's like a car that has a electrical connector for a trailer but the manufacturer decided to hide it unless you pay for the tow package. Is it a hack to use it? No it's not. For some reason everything that is done in the digital world is called hacking.
1000026355.jpg
You're right, hacking can be looked at as bad, but it's not necessarily good or bad. People use the term in a negative way a lot. The poster you answered used the term to simply state he was not comfortable accessing the system with S3XY buttons. It takes some knowledge, initiative and willingness to leverage the system this way.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 804son
View attachment 1008276You're right, hacking can be looked at as bad, but it's not necessarily good or bad. People use the term in a negative way a lot. The poster you answered used the term to simply state he was not comfortable accessing the system with S3XY buttons. It takes some knowledge, initiative and willingness to leverage the system this way.
Exactly, Same as I don't want to use 3rd party APPs by leaking my Tesla password.