Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Braking to low button?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hack, trick, add-on, tune, mod... It doesn't matter that much :) it's a modification of the car so that brings at least a mimimal amount of risk on the warranty. By going through the CANbus and sending a system - known command we are reassured that we cannot create a weird bug as it's known and programmed in the car by Tesla.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I'm always willing to learn, so this is a good faith question. I fail to see where the advantage is to having a 'low regen' setting, vs adjusting the regen via the drive pedal. I mean the entire point of the drive pedal is that you can adjust speed and torque (positive and negative). If I want less, just push it less. Kind of like the volume setting for the sound system. If you want it less loud, you adjust it lower. No need to limit the range of the slider.

I do see one situation where I want zero regen. In very slippery road conditions. If you start to slip, the normal reaction is to instantly take the foot off the pedal. That makes regen kick in and the negative torque is most likely causing the wheels to slip more. Free rolling would be the best to regain grip. I know this situation from personal experience well. But outside of that, why would you limit the maximal available regen if you can adjusting perfectly with your foot?

I often hear this from people who recently came from ICE vehicles and their muscle memory from years of driving ICE is to let go of the accelerator. They just always let go of the accelerator and don't like the car slowing down. It also has to do with people thinking that coasting is some magical type of motion that costs zero energy and it would be better than regen as regen isn't 100% efficient. I won't even attempt to unpack all the false thinking here...

But again, I'm open to learing. Why is limiting the maximum amount of possible regen vs using the drive pedal better?

My MY LR with the 20" wheels come with Eagle F1 tires which are not that good in the winter. I modulate the release of the GO pedal very well under normal driving to maximize regen but still be comfortable. However, this past week in the snow, the regen with these tires is down right scary. The front motor regen is fine, but the rear motor is so powerful that releasing the go pedal the slightest bit fast will cause the rear tires to lock up in the snow, very similar to riding a crotch rocket and downshifting hard without a slipper clutch. The back end of the car will kick a little and if in the middle of a curve will kick out alot. It's not always possible to perfectly modulate the release of the GO pedal due to traffic and other circumstances.

I'm very well versed in snow driving. I would always take my manual trans subaru out into deep snow during blizzards and do plenty of power slides and ebrake slides in my FWD cars. All of which is fun, easy but most importantly predictable for me. But having the rear tires just near randomly kick out behind you is nerve racking. I don't see how this is safe, they need to have the ability to reduce regen in winter weather. I would actually like it if they gave a regen handle accessory to manage regen yourself.

I should't have to buy S3XY buttons to do this, but looks like I will. I wish they simply made a phone app to this this. Does anyone know the CANbus command for this? I could program an arduino to do this for much cheaper.

Reactions: David99
My MY LR with the 20" wheels come with Eagle F1 tires which are not that good in the winter. I modulate the release of the GO pedal very well under normal driving to maximize regen but still be comfortable. However, this past week in the snow, the regen with these tires is down right scary. The front motor regen is fine, but the rear motor is so powerful that releasing the go pedal the slightest bit fast will cause the rear tires to lock up in the snow, very similar to riding a crotch rocket and downshifting hard without a slipper clutch. The back end of the car will kick a little and if in the middle of a curve will kick out alot. It's not always possible to perfectly modulate the release of the GO pedal due to traffic and other circumstances.

I'm very well versed in snow driving. I would always take my manual trans subaru out into deep snow during blizzards and do plenty of power slides and ebrake slides in my FWD cars. All of which is fun, easy but most importantly predictable for me. But having the rear tires just near randomly kick out behind you is nerve racking. I don't see how this is safe, they need to have the ability to reduce regen in winter weather. I would actually like it if they gave a regen handle accessory to manage regen yourself.

I should't have to buy S3XY buttons to do this, but looks like I will. I wish they simply made a phone app to this this. Does anyone know the CANbus command for this? I could program an arduino to do this for much cheaper.

I'm 100% with you, in winter conditions with slippery roads, a lower or even no regen setting would be helpful. But also consider that when standard regen is too much and the car looses traction, you are driving in an unsafe condition. With such little traction, your stopping distance is very long.

Regarding the S3XY button's price. I think they are an extremely good deal considering the functionality they add and the prospect of more through constant updates which the company seems to be good about. I'm sure you won't regret getting them.

Replacing the OE 20" Goodyear tires with all-season 4 tires or winter tires would provide better grip while accelerating, driving, turning, slowing under regen and friction braking. Better tires would also help prevent sliding while parked. Low regenerative braking would only help when slowing under regen and have no effect on the other aspects of driving in snow and ice conditions. I added sliding while parked because some Tesla vehicles (3, Y as observed in Ring and Dashcam videos), with some types of tires, are prone to losing their grip on even a thin layer of snow and ice, breaking free and sliding on the slightest incline while parked.

I'm 100% with you, in winter conditions with slippery roads, a lower or even no regen setting would be helpful. But also consider that when standard regen is too much and the car looses traction, you are driving in an unsafe condition. With such little traction, your stopping distance is very long.

Regarding the S3XY button's price. I think they are an extremely good deal considering the functionality they add and the prospect of more through constant updates which the company seems to be good about. I'm sure you won't regret getting them.

I was driving around just fine, didn't feel unsafe until the regen kicks the back end out. I'm downsizing this year to 18" tires with better all-seasons. But Tesla should bring back the limited regen button. I had an adequate amount of traction with this tires otherwise, it's only the regen that was a problem. I have a massive amount of snow driving experience as I used to commute 4 hours per day. I also used to drive out in blizzards for fun with all my previous cars. These OE Eagle F1's tires were probably the worst "all-season" tires I've had, but still enough traction for me without regen braking.

With the S3XY buttons app, can I change the regen braking with just the app?? I don't need or care for the actual physical buttons.

Last edited:
I was driving around just fine, didn't feel unsafe until the regen kicks the back end out. I'm downsizing this year to 18" tires with better all-seasons. But Tesla should bring back the limited regen button. I had an adequate amount of traction with this tires otherwise, it's only the regen that was a problem. I have a massive amount of snow driving experience as I used to commute 4 hours per day. I also used to drive out in blizzards for fun with all my previous cars. These OE Eagle F1's tires were probably the worst "all-season" tires I've had, but still enough traction for me without regen braking.

With the S3XY buttons app, can I change the regen braking with just the app?? I don't need or care for the actual physical buttons.

You can use the buttons or the app. Buttons are probably the fastest way to switch. It allows you to de- or increase Regen in 25% steps. You can assign short press to -25%, double press to +25% and long press 'normal'. Or use two buttons for up and down and 0% for long press on one and long press on the other for 100% and so on. You place the buttons wherever you want. It really is super convenient.