Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyne noticed a recent drop off in regen braking on the latest update (2024.2.8)?
Maybe…
I haven’t experienced it enough to say conclusively, but a few times last week I did notice unexpected needing to use the brake pedal more than normal, to the point I checked the screen to see if my charge level was too high for it to be working or regen was limited (it wasn’t) - but that was only a couple of times mid week and I haven’t noticed it again since.

Reactions: CoastalEV
noticed this immensely, when I first got the car i barely had to use the friction brakes as the regen was so fierce (in a good way).
why dont Tesla give maybe a sliding scale rather than low/high and the high being adjusted down.

TBH I did think it was a little dangerous to change the regen force so much.

Anyone know why they messed about with it?

noticed this immensely, when I first got the car i barely had to use the friction brakes as the regen was so fierce (in a good way).
why dont Tesla give maybe a sliding scale rather than low/high and the high being adjusted down.

TBH I did think it was a little dangerous to change the regen force so much.

Anyone know why they messed about with it?
I don't think they've purposefully adjusted it, it's more like a bug IMO.
Using my brakes feels old hat. I'm close to removing the brake pedal to get those sweet weight gains :p

Reactions: M1tch
I hope it's a bug! But reading some of the other forum posts, especially in the US forums there seems to be a pretty historical trend of Tesla adjusting the regen in updates and not saying anything.
If they adjusted the power behind the scenes I don't think we'd be seeing the green warning which is the issue for me. That warning usually comes on when it's cold or I've charged above 90.

I live about a 1,000' higher in elevation than the valley floor here in Reno. I've experienced relatively consistent notices of "limited regen" while descending that 1k feet to the valley floor. It seems regardless of soc on battery or ambient temperature. It was about 64 in my garage when I left this morning so the battery wasn't cold, battery at 67%. Outside temp read 57. As you can see in pic "limited regen" was on.
Interestingly, I communicated with a Tesla tech about this on the app awhile back. It seemed to me that all this limited regen was contradictory to one of the main goals of ev's. He told me, after looking at the data from my vehicle, that everything was operating properly. Then he said that the vehicle was designed in such a way that it would go into limited regen during long periods of regen such as coming down a long hill regardless of soc, ambient temp, etc. He said the capacity of the regen energy pathway back to the battery was designed to allow less than from the battery to the motors. It makes sense that the priority would be battery to motor. I'm not an engineer or designer but, it doesn't make sense to me to limit regen energy going back in unless the battery is near capacity.

Attachments

• IMG_7827.jpg
    IMG_7827.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Informative
Reactions: Foxsbiscuits
Noticed it here too. If you look carefully at the top of the screen there are dots on the regen bar, which I think means regeneration is limited. These dots seem to be present for up to 30 miles now at the start of a journey; definitely longer than previously. I regularly get the green symbol too on longer descents, at which point regen becomes almost non existent, regardless of charge state.

I live about a 1,000' higher in elevation than the valley floor here in Reno. I've experienced relatively consistent notices of "limited regen" while descending that 1k feet to the valley floor. It seems regardless of soc on battery or ambient temperature. It was about 64 in my garage when I left this morning so the battery wasn't cold, battery at 67%. Outside temp read 57. As you can see in pic "limited regen" was on.
Interestingly, I communicated with a Tesla tech about this on the app awhile back. It seemed to me that all this limited regen was contradictory to one of the main goals of ev's. He told me, after looking at the data from my vehicle, that everything was operating properly. Then he said that the vehicle was designed in such a way that it would go into limited regen during long periods of regen such as coming down a long hill regardless of soc, ambient temp, etc. He said the capacity of the regen energy pathway back to the battery was designed to allow less than from the battery to the motors. It makes sense that the priority would be battery to motor. I'm not an engineer or designer but, it doesn't make sense to me to limit regen energy going back in unless the battery is near capacity.
Does this result in you requiring to use your brakes to slow the car? Unless you are having to use friction braking then the less regen the better

I find that the frequency of reduced regen messages have varied with changing software versions. I also notice that reduced regen can occur on long downhill runs soon after setting off from home… even at moderate temps. Most often when with a high SOC.

It might be related to changes in the BMS. I think that's what controls how much energy can go into the battery and, by extension, the regeneration.

It's also a bit warmer now so maybe you can't throw 7 kw into the PTC heater anymore.

Does this result in you requiring to use your brakes to slow the car? Unless you are having to use friction braking then the less regen the better

I find that the frequency of reduced regen messages have varied with changing software versions. I also notice that reduced regen can occur on long downhill runs soon after setting off from home… even at moderate temps. Most often when with a high SOC.
Yes, definitely requires using brake pedal to slow down when "limited regen" is in play.

I've had my MX into Tesla for them to check it out because it was ridiculously poor regen, they have said that 15 degrees C is 'cold' as far as the battery is concerned so would be restricting regen and my car is functioning normally - pretty sure it used to be around freezing before it would restrict when they first introduced this. I reckon Tesla have old stock of brake pads they weren't able to shift so they've changed the car to use the brakes more :(
I did suggest to tesla a while back that they could use any excess regen to heat the battery instead which would give a much more consistent braking experience - they said something about not hitting their miles per kilowatt if they did that but I'd much rather have better regen braking in the cold weather when I want to be slowing down more and going round corners slower - if they are worried about mpk then just make it optional in the software so we could choose efficiency over having a safer and more consistent drive - I know which one I would choose!