Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

As you may know, I had the unfortunate experience recently of finding a lovely screw stuck in my front passenger tyre. This was quite easily remedied by the guys at National.

What I think I have noticed (yes think, cos I’m not 100% sure) is that the regen braking now doesn’t seem as abrupt. Now, this may just be me and my getting used to the weight of regen etc but was just wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar, you know, just so I can determine whether or not I’m going a bit crazy in my older age :)

Hi all

As you may know, I had the unfortunate experience recently of finding a lovely screw stuck in my front passenger tyre. This was quite easily remedied by the guys at National.

What I think I have noticed (yes think, cos I’m not 100% sure) is that the regen braking now doesn’t seem as abrupt. Now, this may just be me and my getting used to the weight of regen etc but was just wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar, you know, just so I can determine whether or not I’m going a bit crazy in my older age :)

I find that the strength of regen varies. It always comes as a surprise if it's been a warm couple of days that there is strong regen immediately after setting off ... even in the summer I can get the "limited regenerative braking" warning (it's not been consistently warm in my area). Because of this variability I would find it very hard to judge if there has been a general change. I've seen posts by other people who think it may have changed.

Some people feel that it changes in software updates. From what I recall some are saying that 2020.28 felt like it was a stronger regen but I've not driven since I installed it so can't comment

To avoid creating another thread, what are the pre-requisites for obtaining the full amount of regen i.e. no dots on the line?

I've made a couple of 45 mile motorway journeys at the national speed limit (which I assumed would be sufficient to warm up the car) yet still don't have the full amount of regen available.

To avoid creating another thread, what are the pre-requisites for obtaining the full amount of regen i.e. no dots on the line?

I've made a couple of 45 mile motorway journeys at the national speed limit (which I assumed would be sufficient to warm up the car) yet still don't have the full amount of regen available.

Definitely very surprising. In winter it can take a lot to remove the dots but I take it this is recently, in what we refer to as "summer" here in Scotland!

Reactions: Medved_77
Definitely very surprising. In winter it can take a lot to remove the dots but I take it this is recently, in what we refer to as "summer" here in Scotland!
Yeah, did a journey from Dunfermline to Dundee twice and noted I only got full regen leaving the north side of Dundee. Can't recall what the weather was doing at the time.

Yes I’m sure in changed a couple of software updates ago. I kept having to use the break when I never did before as I was misjudging the stopping distance. I think after a few drives you adapt to the new level so difficult to judge now, but I’m sure it has less regen.

Thanks everyone

Interesting point made there about weather and how warmth can affect regen.

Beginning to think now that maybe I’m not going crazy after all

Do you keep an eye on the number of regen dots that are showing? The gives a good indication as to what you would expect. In the depths of winter you get dots not just at the beginning of the line (left) but dots at the end of the line too! This is when the battery is so cold that it is not able to deliver all of its potential power ... so peak acceleration would be affected and you may even temporarily lose some battery percentage that then returns as the battery warms up.

State of charge and battery temperature have a part to play in how much regen you get and in the case of the AWD versions, which motor is being used.

I don't believe software changes have made any difference in the last few months at least.

If you want to get rid of the dots before you drive, turn on climate from the app 15 mins or so before you leave, that will also condition/warm the battery. You can be plugged in but if you're also charging it wont work as well (it prioritises charging over battery conditioning )