Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative braking control missing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model S LR+ also does not have the Reg Button. I went into the Palo Alto sales/service center last week and drove a LR+ that had the button and needed a software update. The software has been updated to 2020.36.11 and It still has the button. So something else is going on no matter what the service invoice said.

Can you try switching off from Hold? I think this is the new way to do 1 pedal driving as the motor will do the braking all the way down to 0. See if switching it off from Hold will bring back the brake regen setting. Otherwise it may be a bug.

My car was made in June 2020 and the button is missing. The car I test drove had a S/N that is 15,000 cars earlier and had the button. So maybe it was made in May? That makes sense then. Same software but different hardware.
I'm pretty sure that Tesla could make that change without any hardware change. Software can easily provide different user interfaces depending on the VIN. Which implies that they could turn it back on for all cars if they wanted to...

This dilemma is interesting. Members posting and seems like one day they had the button and next they did not. Seems like a big deal apparently to some drivers. Even though we don't have snow I personally like the regen setting. I also have a hard time accepting that not having the button makes the Model S slightly more efficient as it is putting back some small charge into the battery system with it. I guess it might be that the metrics shown a better life from battery or motors. Seems vehicles without also would wear brakes more. This setting may disappear on cars as we go along????

Are there any recent MSP vehicles that don't have setting?

M

What got me looking at the Regen Braking Button was that my new 2020 Model S LR+ was noisier than my old 2016 MS. The front motor whine and some other background motor related noise. I have never used the Low Setting in the past but I thought it might reduce the noise level. The Switched Reluctance Motor used in the front of the MS is noisier than the Induction Motor that was used on the 2016.