Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

regenerative braking on the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I now write off the comments of anyone that thinks blended regen is any sort of answer:

- With go pedal only regen, I knew within a week exactly how long it took to stop without scrubbing energy.
- My brain is far faster and far, far more adept at blending than any computer seems to be (with the rare TC exception).
- In city traffic, I'm braking harder and sooner than if I had to think and move my foot.

Sorry, but brake pedal blended regen is just plain stupid.

I was able to verify today that the production Model S will have driver selectable Regen from 0 to 100% and variable in 100 steps, driver selectable. This is a great option.
At first I thought "Wow what a great feature" and then realized I would just set it on the strongest regen setting and leave it there. In other words it would be a feature I would never use and be a PITA if someone else drove my car and left it on anything but the strongest setting.

I can only see one tiny reason for this feature and that would be to extend battery life by reducing the regen rate. If I charge my car at 70 amps it consumes energy at a rate of about 17kw and shortens battery life slightly more than charging at 40 amps. We've all pegged the regen dial at 40kw momentarily which is theoretically equal to 240v charging at about 170 amps. Obviously the duty cycles are vastly different so strong regen is not harming your battery unless you're using it excessively like going down a long and very steep hill. That would be a pretty rare hill to be that long and that steep. Bottom line I think they should put their precious R&D time into more useful features.

I was able to verify today that the production Model S will have driver selectable Regen from 0 to 100% and variable in 100 steps, driver selectable. This is a great option
Are we sure this isn't exactly the same as in the roadster? Regen power is modulated via go-pedal. Press sligthly and regen-power drops, press enough, no regen, press more, power to the wheels.

If they mean modulating regen power when go-pedal is "fully released", they should make it simple: No regen / Weak / Strong.

At first I thought "Wow what a great feature" and then realized I would just set it on the strongest regen setting and leave it there. In other words it would be a feature I would never use and be a PITA if someone else drove my car and left it on anything but the strongest setting.
Most cars these days (well, above a certain price, but even my Acura RDX has it) have settings that change for at least 2 drivers, at least for power seat settings. You push a button and say you're "driver A" or "driver B" and everything adjust accordingly. I can see that applying to things like regen as well.

Regen. in the Roadster

"...jarringingly strong" regen of the Roadster?...I wish the regen on the Roadster was both a little more consistent & a little stronger...

Yesss! At last... I could not agree more! As I live about 2 Miles up the mountain, I would certainly appreciate a slightly stronger regen. Even better, if adjustable.
Going down the mountain is really a charm already. I hardly use the brakes... and it charges the Battery.

But mind You, never charge for "Range" while on top the mountain. Regen. is cancelled and Your Roadster will roll forever.