Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative braking setting in V. 2022.16.1.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just updated to 2022.20.8 today and noticed it in my 2022 US Model 3 LR. Possible it showed up in 2022.20.7, but it you didn't have it before the update, check now:

photo_2022-08-11_11-34-05.jpg

photo_2022-08-11_11-34-10.jpg

This was interesting. I wonder what practical effect it has on range.

View attachment 839875
Since kinetic energy goes as v^2 and Roll already brings you down to 5mph, basically just a rounding error on added range. If you are stopping from 35 mph, this would just be about a 2% improvement in recaptured energy. Just depends on if you prefer full one-pedal driving or not.

Reactions: BitJam and DrGriz
This was interesting. I wonder what practical effect it has on range.
Since kinetic energy goes as v^2 and Roll already brings you down to 5mph, basically just a rounding error on added range. If you are stopping from 35 mph, this would just be about a 2% improvement in recaptured energy. Just depends on if you prefer full one-pedal driving or not.
Thank you for putting it into perspective.

Personally, I think there's a safety bonus in doing the same thing over and over and expecting and getting the same result. Since we all do at least some one pedal driving I feel like this is a good feature and I've turned it on for both our profiles. Haven't used it yet, however, so we'll see how well it operates.

Reactions: Transformer
Has anyone noticed that their car is now regenerating more slowly in normal conditions? I find myself having to press my brakes in situations where my car should have regenerated to a stop earlier. (My M3 is always set to max regen via the "Stopping Mode = Hold" setting)

Has anyone noticed that their car is now regenerating more slowly in normal conditions? I find myself having to press my brakes in situations where my car should have regenerated to a stop earlier. (My M3 is always set to max regen via the "Stopping Mode = Hold" setting)
I think there's been a bug where sometimes the regen doesn't come on as quickly as it should. It's been present since this blended brake feature was introduced. Here's a thread on reddit on it. It's still present as of 2022.24.5 from my own experience.

Has anyone noticed that their car is now regenerating more slowly in normal conditions? I find myself having to press my brakes in situations where my car should have regenerated to a stop earlier.
My experience is the regen starts slowly but ramps up quickly. Try taking your foot off the accelerator a little earlier to give it time to ramp up. I usually only need to use the brakes when something unexpected happens like a light changes.

Yes, the regen seems to have been reduced. It predates this new feature, I've had the feeling for a few months now. On the highway regen seems normal but in city driving I use my brakes a lot more than before.
My theory is that people that have no rege setting have complained enough that it was too high that Tesla reduced the normal setting instead of giving us options. I hope I'm wrong...

Yes, the regen seems to have been reduced. It predates this new feature, I've had the feeling for a few months now. On the highway regen seems normal but in city driving I use my brakes a lot more than before.
My theory is that people that have no rege setting have complained enough that it was too high that Tesla reduced the normal setting instead of giving us options. I hope I'm wrong...
It's more than just that. Since 2022.20.7, I've had a couple of instances per update where I felt like no regen at all when I lifted off the accelerator, like my old gas car. It's a bit unsettling when I lift and expect braking and it just coast. That thread on Reddit linked previously had others experiencing the same.

Not sure if it's just me, but 2022.24.8 seems to have restored the old regen feel. Mentioned earlier that regen seems off since 2022.20.7: regen later to come on, & once in a while not at all. Since updating to 2022.24.8, I haven't had a single instance of that.

Reactions: DrGriz