TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Regenerative braking will be limited?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by bigroccrek, Oct 7, 2018.

1. bigroccrek

bigroccrek Member

About half the time when I put the car in "D" I get the message "Regenerative Braking Will Be Limited" after a few minutes it goes away and for a while It doesn't really seem to work normal (I have selected the "Standard" mode). Anyone else see this? Any idea what it is trying to tell me? I looked in teh manual but haven't found any information. Thanks.

2. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

What is your state of charge?

• Like x 1
  3. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Member

Yeah you are charging to 100%way to often

4. arnolddeleon

arnolddeleon Supporting Member

Most likely your battery is at very high state of charge. Check your charge limit setting.

5. outdoors

outdoors Not so well known

In Pearblossom CA it is 60 degrees and shows a low of 48 tonight. When temps are in the 50-60s I get the limited regen charging to 80%. Goes away shortly.

Example. I charged to 85% this morning. Garage was 59 degrees this AM. I drove for about 3 minutes and it was gone.

• Like x 1
  6. bigroccrek

bigroccrek Member

It is at 80% I believe. I haven't changed the setting since I picked up the car a week ago. Thanks.

7. bigroccrek

bigroccrek Member

I believe it is only set to charge to 80% or 90% whatever the default was set to when I picked up the car a week ago. I haven't made any changes to the charging. It chargers ~278 miles each time I charge the car. Should I lower it? I assumed (we all know what that means) that the factory setting would be best.

8. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

Then it may be ambient temperature related? Generally those are the two things that can cause you to have limited regeneration.

• Helpful x 1
  9. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

Your state of charge seems to be alright. It only really starts to limit regen past 94% (~291 miles). It most likely has to do with the temperature. When it's too cold, it'll limit regen at first until it can warm up.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  10. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

#10 ℬête Noire, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Regen begins being limited for me by 85% (I haven't nailed down the exact number yet, since I don't have Teslafi and don't see how you can set by exact percentage number otherwise it's going to take a lot of futzing to find it). Even with ambient temp in the 80F's. It's really modest, nearly unnoticeable when driving, but there's a few dots on the left side of the screen under the 'PRND'.

EDIT: Well I think it was 85%, definitely somewhere in the 80's because I thought "huh, wasn't expecting that" but I didn't write down the number, just made a mental note of "I should probably try find the exact number some time".

• Informative x 2
  11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Winter is coming.

• Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  12. rdunniii

rdunniii Member

I set mine to 55% (170 miles) and regen is awesome. I recharge when it gets down to about 30% (90 miles). Usually every 3rd day.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  13. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Supporting Member

Anyone figure out why REGEN is just about gone due to the cold?

14. JCLeonard

JCLeonard Member

Because the battery is too cold to accept regen charge, don't ask me to explain the science :) I am sure someone else has a dissertation on prior threads.

To combat limited regen I use scheduled charging for 5:30 am and set the cap to 80%. Each morning when I leave home around 7 am the battery is warmed up and ready to go with full regen. However, sitting outside at work the battery will get cold soaked and regen is limited, how limited depends on how cold it is and how long it sits idle. It was 29 degrees in my garage this morning and all was well. At 22 degrees most of the day the battery got cold enough that regen was limited for my entire (short) commute of 7 miles.

@OP, I concur that your regen limits are due to ambient/battery temps.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Supporting Member

That makes no sense since the battery can take a 50kwh charge at a SuperCharger. Is regen producing more than 50kwh?

• Like x 1
  16. JCLeonard

JCLeonard Member

Pretty interesting discussion about this albeit for a Model S - https://www.quora.com/How-much-power-is-a-Tesla-model-S-capable-of-regenerating-to-the-batteries-when-the-motor-is-braking-or-going-downhill-What-is-the-limiting-factor-the-converter-motor-generator-batteries
    Seems like the "why" may be a blackbox, as with many other Tesla behaviors :)

• Informative x 1
  17. DJung

DJung Member

#17 DJung, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    I have a P3D+ and I've noticed that regen is limited every morning. I charge to 90% every night and whenever I get into my car I have the dotted line. I have a 20 mile commute and even as I pull into the lot at work I don't have full regen back.

I don't think ambient air temps are the issue, as I had this problem in SoCal when the temps were in the 80's with overnight lows in the 65-75 range. I called Tesla and they told me it was normal, but I've driven a Model S for 4 years and never had regen limiting unless it was dead of (SoCal) winter cold (like overnight 40 degree weather).

Anyone else seeing something similar?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

Regen is limited until around 84% or 85% SoC at that temp.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  19. Whisky

Whisky Member

Been doing some research on this... how do you know this? I've been having trouble finding a source

20. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

From driving the car.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1