Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Levelheadsteve, the thing is regen is braking. If you get sick, you would get just as sick in an ICE car with a driver that uses the brakes the same way. What we're all saying is that the driver must be careful as releasing the accelerator means braking. I don't think anyone argues that you feel sick.

Perhaps the way I drive and the way the Tesla rep I rode with drove and the way a colleague of mine drives his Tesla and the way my friend drives her Tesla with standard regen makes me sick

People with their assumptions. It’s like nobody can have a contrary opinion.

I said "perhaps" .. when I drive with regen none of my passengers even notice (and I myself am very susceptible to motion sickness). And it wasn't an assumption, it was probing to see if it wasn't regen per se, but perhaps the way you were using it, as a preliminary to maybe suggesting ways to combat your issue. But if you'd rather just feel sick and complain about it that's up to you.

I said "perhaps" .. when I drive with regen none of my passengers even notice (and I myself am very susceptible to motion sickness). And it wasn't an assumption, it was probing to see if it wasn't regen per se, but perhaps the way you were using it, as a preliminary to maybe suggesting ways to combat your issue. But if you'd rather just feel sick and complain about it that's up to you.
I wasn’t complaining about it. This is a thread about regen braking and I have my opinion.

There was a thread about user names a while back and I asked why doctors and lawyers seem to be the only folks who consistently list their profession in their user names. Several responses were about how arrogant people in those professions are. Perhaps you are one of those people?

Levelheadsteve, the thing is regen is braking. If you get sick, you would get just as sick in an ICE car with a driver that uses the brakes the same way. What we're all saying is that the driver must be careful as releasing the accelerator means braking. I don't think anyone argues that you feel sick.
But people don’t drive that way in ice cars. They don’t slam the brakes on the moment they let off the gas. I understand the concept, and have driven for short periods of time on standard regen and can make it work. For my driving, I choose not to use standard regen for the 0.5% battery or brake pad savings it offers vs. low regen. Low regen still accomplishes those things. People have Priuses with over 300k miles on the original brake pads. I have a 2012 Prius with over 150k miles and the brakepads are still at 3/4ths usage remaining. Somehow, without a standard regen type of system, it still works. People are acting like low regen is burning up batteries and brakepads or that driving without standard regen means you don’t know how to drive. You can see the other posts where folks are insulting me because of it. What a wonderful Tesla “community.”

Last edited:
There was a thread about user names a while back and I asked why doctors and lawyers seem to be the only folks who consistently list their profession in their user names. Several responses were about how arrogant people in those professions are. Perhaps you are one of those people?

Perhaps I am, and perhaps I'm not ... however, we have established one thing about you with some degree of certainty.

But people don’t drive that way in ice cars. They don’t slam the brakes on the moment they let off the gas.

In a car with one-pedal driving, like the Teslas, just don't suddenly "let off the gas" like you might do in an ICE car. You can achieve any acceleration and any deceleration with proper use of the power pedal, gently or roughly, just as you like.

If a certain way of decelerating makes your passenger sick, then do it in a different way. My recommendation is to do it gently and not abruptly, except in an emergency.

Heading down from a ski area is frustrating if the battery is cold- I end up braking the whole way down. I've noticed that turning the climate control and heating the cabin up does NOT really heat the battery up very quickly, but hitting defrost Does. The magic number for me is getting the battery up to 72 degrees- then I don't touch the brake pedal at all driving down the mountain and reap the benefit of having enough regenerative braking. Obviously regen is limited by a full battery too. I think that there is a huge change in amount of regen around 72 degrees, but at times is seems like there is something else: even though the battery stays at 72 degrees, and battery charge is in the 70's and not changing much - the amount of regen continues to increase slowly over time - can even see this number increase on Scan My Tesla [max charge rate] it creeps up slowly....
What Tesla SHOULD do is to have full regen braking when the battery is too cold to accept the full charge, but use all the wattage that can't be pumped into the battery to heat it up more quickly instead. It seems like they could even do that through a software update and have regenerative energy get pumped back into the stators to generate heat.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
What Tesla SHOULD do is to have full regen braking when the battery is too cold to accept the full charge, but use all the wattage that can't be pumped into the battery to heat it up more quickly instead. It seems like they could even do that through a software update and have regenerative energy get pumped back into the stators to generate heat.

My trick is to nav to the nearest supercharger .. that way it starts the preheating cycle on the battery pack. You can "feel" the change in the car as it routes excess power thru the motor to heat the battery.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Does it immediately increase regenerative braking? I'll have to try that.
No. The SC/nav thing is heating up the Stator motors just as if you pre-conditioned by turning on the climate control.

The SC/nav trick can be used to warm up the batteries faster if you're not able to pre-condition, though. I've done this to warm up the batteries to test out 0-60 times with my Dragy GPS.

The Tesla BMS is pretty good so I'm not worried. The batteries want to be around 78-84F from what I've seen in cooler temps, so you're doing it a favor by getting it warmer. Batteries, in general, don't work well in cold temps

So, I've been heating the battery up to 70 degrees or so for my commute. What I've noticed though is that the battery is allowed to slowly cool down as I drive. If it were, say 15 below F, how cold would the battery get on a long drive? What is the target temperature I wonder.

Hey, I currently have a MY for overnight test drive..... I feel the same way about the regen, it made me slightly seasick (and I don't easily get seasick) It absolutely has to do with easing off the acceleration pedal instead of letting it go as in ICE cars and glide the car..... this just isn't the case.... of course, if I switch to Creep mode, everything is fine. Something I guess I'll have to learn (or relearn)

My questions are...

If you just ease off the pedal to slow down or come to a stop, don't you loose the benefit of regen?
How long did you all take to adjust to this before it becomes natural and you are stopping as normally?