Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regrets [Anyone regret trading in their ICE for their Tesla?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could care less about making a profit, but I'd like to be able to trade my car in without taking a 15-20k loss. Resale value was baked into the current prices that people are paying and it just isn't commensurate anymore. Not even close.
That Sucks I get it, but if you bought at an over inflated price expecting a better return then, you did exactly what I was describing, betting on exagerated market position. I've been there, done that myself.

The people saying "never look at a car as an investment" are the same ones that were using the "high resale value" trope as major advantage over competitors, lol.

There is always a middle ground and we have hit the other side of the hill.

Like toyota
I have a toyota pickup. No, it is not a good way to make money, although it holds its value pretty well. I don't recall it every being worth more than it was when I bought it.

I have a brother in law who used to buy junkers and get them running and then sell them at a profit.

I actually have a pair of old Toyota Landcruisers from the 1960s that are in fair shape now that I've put a little money (ok, thousands) into getting them running reliably. A little body work and paint and I can probably sell them for 10 times what I bought them for. A friend just did that (paid for his home solar!)

But no, I was saying don't buy a mass market car of any sort expecting to turn a profit unless you really like gambling. The situation with EVs was never going to last.

Reactions: 804son
I have a toyota pickup. No, it is not a good way to make money, although it holds its value pretty well. I don't recall it every being worth more than it was when I bought it.

I have a brother in law who used to buy junkers and get them running and then sell them at a profit.

I actually have a pair of old Toyota Landcruisers from the 1960s that are in fair shape now that I've put a little money (ok, thousands) into getting them running reliably. A little body work and paint and I can probably sell them for 10 times what I bought them for. A friend just did that (paid for his home solar!)

But no, I was saying don't buy a mass market car of any sort expecting to turn a profit unless you really like gambling. The situation with EVs was never going to last.
I’m not talking about making money. I’m talking about a car that lasts. Reliability.

I’m not talking about making money. I’m talking about a car that lasts. Reliability.
There's alot of high mileage Teslas out there that are still going strong, I think some of the reliability talk is a bit overhyped. Once the intial issues are dealt with. These cars seem to roll on for a long time with minimal repairs compared to your typical ICE vehicles. I'm not saying that Tesla is making a better product, there just simply less moving parts to break.

Reactions: DrGriz and sloth
OK. Gotcha.

Toyota is reliable because they have been making basically the same vehicles for the last 20 years. There's very little new. This year's Tacoma is basically the same in terms of drive train and engine as my 2011. Once they hit on a pattern that works they keep doing it. But at the same time, the tech in my 2011 was 5 years behind other manufacturer's vehicles. And Toyota did have some initial major issues with Tacomas and had to rewrite the program after the first few years. So they aren't perfect.

I agree with what @804son said. Other than a few up front tweaks there's no reason to think that Teslas won't last for 300K miles (and some have) because besides battery life, there is so much less to break.