Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regrets [Anyone regret trading in their ICE for their Tesla?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is 2.4% battery degrade normal for only a year of ownership?
The biggest degradation comes right up front, and then tails off dramatically after that. It's really hard for sure to know what your degradation is, because of the way it calculates/estimates range. The only way it seems to really know for sure, is to do full charge depletions and calculate the miles. Either establish a Baseline when brand new and repeat it, or try 55mph max, no a/c and a mix of Highway and City driving.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
The biggest degradation comes right up front, and then tails off dramatically after that. It's really hard for sure to know what your degradation is, because of the way it calculates/estimates range. The only way it seems to really know for sure, is to do full charge depletions and calculate the miles. Either establish a Baseline when brand new and repeat it, or try 55mph max, no a/c and a mix of Highway and City driving
been doing a lot of highway driving on weekends. Maybe that’s why.

Traded in my X3M Competition and regret it immensely. Was hoping track mode or some other nice over the air goodies would materialize, but the car is largely the same as it was on release.

I figured I could always go back due to the great resale value, but now I'm stuck since values have tanked. Carmax just offered me 58k for my MYP with 700 miles, Carvana and Vroom are less than that.

• Funny
Reactions: nate704 and sloth
Ok let me ask if this is normal. I start with 80% charge. I drive a total of 100 miles, it goes to 32%. Is that normal?
Depends...if I was expecting to arrive at home with 32% after 100 miles...driving spiritedly, loads of air conditioning, pre air conditioning the car so it’s perfect when we get in...lots of short trips etc....no problem.....if, on the other hand I was on a much longer trip, and I was practicing economy driving but was still getting those figures...then I would be concerned...

Traded in my X3M Competition and regret it immensely. Was hoping track mode or some other nice over the air goodies would materialize, but the car is largely the same as it was on release.

I figured I could always go back due to the great resale value, but now I'm stuck since values have tanked. Carmax just offered me 58k for my MYP with 700 miles, Carvana and Vroom are less than that.
Ooof

Reactions: Mjrotor

I tried to build 2022 X3M comp pkg with comparable options with MYP and it came out to be around $87k, and most online car dealers sell used low mileage 2022 X3Ms around $76k.
So, they are about the same I guess??

I tried to build 2022 X3M comp pkg with comparable options with MYP and it came out to be around $87k, and most online car dealers sell used low mileage 2022 X3Ms around $76k.
So, they are about the same I guess??

I bought mine almost fully loaded out the door for 72k. So it's variable, but yes in the same ballpark for sure.

X3M has had numerous direct comparisons with the MYP by media outlets, so lets not pretend its a Ferrari. I'm actually paying more per month on the MYP...

Well then that’s the problem I guess.
Just for clarity.

Driving on freeway normally doesn’t cause battery to degrade faster (not hold as much electricity over time). High speed driving will empty the battery more quickly / use more energy.

Driving like you are in a race track such as always flooring the accelerator (like you are really racing) and maintaining ultra high speeds perhaps 100+ constantly will probably contribute to some early degradation. Degradation is mainly a factor of time. As many stated in first year there is more apparent degradation and then eases off per year. Supposedly constant supercharging rather than occasionally promotes degradation. There is an out of spec YouTube video where he covers the degradation to a model 3 which has been supercharger often & car did pretty well 🤷‍♂️. A battery which can’t be kept within tRgetvtemps will degrade faster. Not an issue with Tesla since car has active battery thermal management for cooling & heating vs. first gen Nissan leaf which could heat a battery but used outside air (passive) for cooling which did not work well in hot Arizona & California for example.

No regrets & now wife is finally warming up to getting an EV. Recently My wife’s car’s catalytic converter got stolen. Took 2 months for us to get the part & only because someone else did not pickup their part on time. Our neighbor’s catalytic converter was stolen same night and they are still waiting for new part, three months of waiting for them. Part cost around $2,000 and install was $800.

Her range anxiety fears diminished after a few road trips in the Tesla and seeing how keeping the Tesla charged up at home was not an issue. We have 48amp evse but I used to set it at 32 amp and still had plenty of time to charge car.

We've been gas free since 2017. Three teslas later, and I'm looking forward to the new Model S in the future.
So you changed your X to Y. How do you like it in comparison? I thought people trying to upsize Y to X but not the other way around. Probably X should be more comfortable to ride compared to Y.
I enjoy my new Model Y, but I wish the ride comfort would be better. It has a pretty stiff suspension.

got Model-3 LR 9-9-2022 love driving car! Cameras suck as they do not render clear and accurate color. they need to 5 megapixels replacements and TESLA should offer specially priced upgrade. Monitor should be 17 inches and driver should be able too adjust contrast and picture square sizes for turning. Driving and EV performance A+, Human Factors driver display functionality, Swivel and Angle of display locked! C-. People with money are going to be older individuals who buy TESLA. I’m 71 and need reading glasses when I make adjustments at home and not on the road. Would I buy it again you bet! I’v been in the human factors and computing business 45 years and I know what I’m talking about! Talking to my TESLA is my functionality bridge.

got Model-3 LR 9-9-2022 love driving car! Cameras suck as they do not render clear and accurate color. they need to 5 megapixels replacements and TESLA should offer specially priced upgrade. Monitor should be 17 inches and driver should be able too adjust contrast and picture square sizes for turning. Driving and EV performance A+, Human Factors driver display functionality, Swivel and Angle of display locked! C-. People with money are going to be older individuals who buy TESLA. I’m 71 and need reading glasses when I make adjustments at home and not on the road. Would I buy it again you bet! I’v been in the human factors and computing business 45 years and I know what I’m talking about! Talking to my TESLA is my functionality bridge.
The front & side cameras have a different color space which is intended to aid computer analysis hence why the colors look slightly red shifted (better for low light/night?) different than rear camera (truer color representation). I suspect this is because Tesla never intended to display the front & side camera views but had already locked in to a certain camera specification for a period of time.
Now I hear new camera suppliers are planned. Samsung I think. The cameras will be higher resolution. Maybe they will figure a way to provide an output more true to reality for our eyes & another output for the computer analysis.
I have no idea what I am talking about & have worked in computer animation, graphics & visual effects for 25 years as an artist & software developer 🤪.

View attachment 852472
Are these numbers good or bad?
There's not enough info to say one way or the other. I've had 30-mile trips at >300 Wh/mi and others <200 Wh/mi.

I never reset Trip B and I use it as my all-time record. My Trip B is currently at 270 Wh/mi for 7,577 miles.

I only reset Trip A before and after going on a long trip so I can track the usage when I'm almost always at highway speeds and keep it running in between long trips to monitor my general mixed daily driving usage. My Trip A is currently at 260 Wh/mi for the last 1,861 miles.

Get a thousand miles or so on the screen and you will have a better idea where you are.