Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regrets [Anyone regret trading in their ICE for their Tesla?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It hasn't been a perfect transition, that said pretty much all aspects have been better than expected. That includes driving long distances with my standard range Model Y. The whole needing to stop & charge thing is just not as big of an issue as I expected it to be. I imagine those that paid extra for the long-range have an even higher level of satisfaction.. as they can go longer distances in-between charges. If I could go back and do it all over again.. the only thing I would change is that I would have gotten the M3SR+ for $37K back in 2019.. and then upgraded to the MYP in the second half of 2021 when it was priced in the low $60K range.

That said current prices I probably wouldn't buy any Tesla. The pricing now is insane compared to what it was just a year and half ago. And that's before we get to the part about the competition catching up & gas prices are steadily going down. If I drove an ICE right now.. I would probably sit on the fence for another year or two.. and see what happens to the EV market.

It hasn't been a perfect transition, that said pretty much all aspects have been better than expected. That includes driving long distances with my standard range Model Y. The whole needing to stop & charge thing is just not as big of an issue as I expected it to be. I imagine those that paid extra for the long-range have an even higher level of satisfaction.. as they can go longer distances in-between charges. If I could go back and do it all over again.. the only thing I would change is that I would have gotten the M3SR+ for $37K back in 2019.. and then upgraded to the MYP in the second half of 2021 when it was priced in the low $60K range.

That said current prices I probably wouldn't buy any Tesla. The pricing now is insane compared to what it was just a year and half ago. And that's before we get to the part about the competition catching up & gas prices are steadily going down. If I drove an ICE right now.. I would probably sit on the fence for another year or two.. and see what happens to the EV market.
Yeah I got my model y last year. It was no way near this price.

9735E235-12A6-4254-9A32-42ECAD76D8B1.jpeg

Anyone know if this will void the warranty on the tesla?

I absolutely love Tesla. But, I wouldn't have a Tesla if we didn't have ICE cars.

We went on a 550 mile trip over the summer. The trip would have taken 2.5 to 3 hours longer if we had taken the Tesla vs the Prius Prime according to A Better Route Planner.

We go on many longer trips per year, and the time difference is a lot. It's not only time at the Superchargers- often, the entire route must change, which adds time and mileage.

This is more personal, but I love manual sports cars. There is no way you could take away my WRX, or other manual cars we have, I love them.

The front & side cameras have a different color space which is intended to aid computer analysis hence why the colors look slightly red shifted (better for low light/night?) different than rear camera (truer color representation). I suspect this is because Tesla never intended to display the front & side camera views but had already locked in to a certain camera specification for a period of time.
Now I hear new camera suppliers are planned. Samsung I think. The cameras will be higher resolution. Maybe they will figure a way to provide an output more true to reality for our eyes & another output for the computer analysis.
I have no idea what I am talking about & have worked in computer animation, graphics & visual effects for 25 years as an artist & software developer 🤪.
what I see reviewing the screens of high end FSD VEHICLES is a completely different story. Colors appear better as does the accuracy of the color imaging lines and vehicles in the the driver side front third of the safety screen. I think all owner’s of TESLA vehicles should get a fair shake regarding color and clarity in the safety screen area. 1MP cameras offer a Limited 1080 screen resolution and screen graphics processors should be of higher quality . Screw computer analysis, higher megapixel cameras are required. They should be offered as a reasonably priced upgrade instead of the cheap approach to FSD in Model-3 level cars. Better cameras and graphics cards are as big a safety issue as batteries! Quantity shouldn’t come at the expense of quality, especially when taking a visual approach to FSD. Don’t get me wrong I love the Model-3 LR and wil never go back to ICE

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely love Tesla. But, I wouldn't have a Tesla if we didn't have ICE cars.

We went on a 550 mile trip over the summer. The trip would have taken 2.5 to 3 hours longer if we had taken the Tesla vs the Prius Prime according to A Better Route Planner.

We go on many longer trips per year, and the time difference is a lot. It's not only time at the Superchargers- often, the entire route must change, which adds time and mileage.

This is more personal, but I love manual sports cars. There is no way you could take away my WRX, or other manual cars we have, I love them.

That's like 2 20 minute charges?

Sold the MS in 18 and purchased the X. Currently have the X and the Y. The X is the wife's car and I Daily the Y. She loves the X. Truly a diva car with the FWD, auto present driver door ect. It is smoother than the Y but I love the Y suspension. My wife really don't care for riding in the Y so on any long trips, we'll take hers. There is more room (cargo) in the Y over the X but that's mainly because we upgraded the back seats to the captain chairs. The 3rd seats do fold down but not as much room as folding down the Y rear seats. If we have friends ride with us, we'll take the X due to the nicer higher back seats. It's not that the Y rear seats are uncomfortable, it's just the captain seats in the X are very nice. I don't miss not having air suspension on the Y for it sits up high enough that I really never find any reason to go higher. I really don't mess with the X suspension. We just set it and forget it. The X drives nice but it's not a sports car feel. It's very nice for road trips especially with the large windshield. I do like the two screens. A 3d nav screen is always on the left of the driver screen which allows you to have other apps open on the main screen. Also, with the larger screen in the X you can have more than one app and still see the nav screen. The Y has a much lower dash and gives you a very nice immersive driving experience over the X. Now the Y is no sports car but sure feels good all curves. With the ghost Performance upgrade, it is a blast to drive. I've had my share of sports, muscle cars but there's something about wanting to get behind the wheel of the Y and just let it rip.
The best and most honest comparison review ever! Thank you )

I do. I had a Lexus Rx. I miss the creature comforts and quality. I was attracted to the Tesla because of the tech. The quality and cheapness of the Tesla bother me now.
I have an RX350 as well and have a MY Long Range on order which will come in around December. I test drove it again for the 3rd time yesterday and it is so fun to drive and I love the regen. braking, the minimalist interior, and the tech and screen which are super cool.. Yes, I agree the quality is not Lexus quality inside but I don't mind it too much. I think I can get used it it. It is an expensive purchase and would be an expensive regret.. I am just on the fence with it if I can live with it for at least 5 years or if they come out with a 400 range Model Y or lower the price of the Model X. haha wishful thinking!!

Well you did state that you filled up less often with your ICE car vs the Tesla but most people don't think about it in this way: To fill up an ICE vehicle you have to drive to a gas station and then spend five minutes or even up to 15 if you're filling up at Costco with a line. If you fill up once a week for five minutes that's 260 minutes or a little over 4 hours of your time spent at a gas station per year. If you're filling up at places with a line then you're looking at 10+ hours.

For a Tesla though all you have to do is plug it in and it charges while you're home so you basically get those hours back, even if you have to "fill" the Tesla up more often.
Not everyone has a garage to charge at home. Think about the people in apartments or coops in metro areas where you have to pay for a parking spot. In my scenario it has to be approved by a coop board and they are not thinking about it until next year OR if the laws change where they coop board has to make some sort of agreement to install a charger.. And I am not putting my place up for sale to buy another place with a garage, does not make financial sense..

Reactions: sloth
Think about the people in apartments or coops in metro areas where you have to pay for a parking spot.
That was me for over a year and a half - living in a condo with underground parking and no charging available. Given my driving patterns at the time, it took an hour of DCFC charging once a week for my Leaf (about 1.5h in the winter). Everyone's driving patterns are different, but if one wants to drive a BEV, it doesn't take that much extra planning (in an urban setting); if I'd had a Tesla, it would have been even faster. It's a paradigm shift, but not unlike choosing to live in an apartment that doesn't have laundry - you have to go to the laundromat once a week or so. No big deal -- take your laptop or read on your smartphone, take a book or chat with friends. I don't regret getting an EV when I did, even if I needed to spend an hour or two a week at a charging station.

Nope.

That said its more about the switch to EV, than it was the switch to Tesla. I can never see myself going back to paying for gas again.. it just feels like a driving tax. I already pay a lot of money for my car.. why should I pay a lot of money to also actually drive my car? I did over 600 miles of driving this weekend and spent $20 on charging.. and that was only because a Supercharger was closer & more convenient. I did the other half of my charging at EA CCS stations where I charge for free, thanks to the 3 years unlimited charging plan that came with out ID.4.

If I were to go back and calculated how much money I've saved on gas in just the last two years of EV ownership.. Im already around $8,000.

Reactions: Happy Hippo