Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejected Ultra-Red Plaid - Service is attempting to make it right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got back from rejecting delivery on an Ultra Red Plaid. Paint imperfections including clearcoat inclusions and massive swirling, delivered dirty (so I couldnt see the extent of the issues, but they were bad enough that the tech even agreed), debris in the camera housings, and the car was a previous sale attempt which was not disclosed to me. Obviously it could have just been a random issue that stopped the sale, but that is unclear.

Service manager is working on it and says they can fix everything by Monday for a second chance at delivery. I did note that the lines looked good and nothing appeared to be improperly aligned, so I have high hopes still, but it is is difficult due to my experience with the buyback plaid.

If you turned down an ultra red plaid in virginia (tysons) in the 3-4 weeks, please send me a message. I want to know if there is anything else going on with this vehicle as they are not being forthcoming, but obviously it could be anything from an issue to something completely not and I just don't know.

I have two hand sized areas of what looked like missed clearcoat when my 2020 was delivered. I was happy the red paint was applied on all the areas expected o be painted, and no one would really notice the defect areas. I am hopeful they will get your car looking acceptable, but with Tesla, I wouldn't expect perfection with the paint. That UltraRed looks ultra beautiful in the photos. Maybe I'll have them splash that on my next Tesla.

They couldn’t make it right. Car had issues under the clear coat. They knew it and did not disclose. (This is not conjecture)

Now they are trying to get me another, making it the 4th attempt to get me a vehicle that works and is in decent condition. Vin matched and the “new” vehicle appears to be from months ago, now I need to figure out why it didn’t sell and why it wasn’t in the inventory system or whatever issue there is.

I’ve invested so much time and effort and been shafted at every turn. I’m tired of this bs.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
They couldn’t make it right. Car had issues under the clear coat. They knew it and did not disclose. (This is not conjecture)

Now they are trying to get me another, making it the 4th attempt to get me a vehicle that works and is in decent condition. Vin matched and the “new” vehicle appears to be from months ago, now I need to figure out why it didn’t sell and why it wasn’t in the inventory system or whatever issue there is.

I’ve invested so much time and effort and been shafted at every turn. I’m tired of this bs.
BOHICA is the new perspective owner chant, unfortunately…

Reactions: Genie
While I love the plaid, it is only worth it with the discounts. If they don’t make it right *now* I’m going to go back to the state, file the lemon law, stop being an investor, and move on with my life.

Way more history. I purchased a blue plaid in march. Drove for just a few weeks (while in the shop a few times for initial teething, alignment, paint, hatch alignment, dirty interior, issue in carbon fiber, noise). It started collecting water "somewhere" to the point it sounded like an aquarium moving around when driving. They didnt know what caused it, was sent to the body shop. It has been there ever since.

They offered a buyback, verbally. I have asked for the details IN WRITING at least 30 times to different people and that request is ignored. Car is still in body shop and they wont pay me back until after the car is released from the shop as per corporate. My state doesnt care, 30 days out of service = lemon law NOW.

New discounts offered, talked to my SA about could they do a swap and refund the difference (including all taxes etc) they agreed. Still nothing in writing. I found a brand new UR plaid, asked to have to brought to VA. They said sure. Two days later found one local. Asked if it was new or reject, they said new. Went to look, it clearly had paint issues and was shown dirty. I pointed out paint issues that they already knew about from the first attempted delivery and they tried to fix them.

Discovered the issues are NOT fixable without a respray and removed it from delivery, then said no other UR plaids available. I pointed out the original one I asked for, a may 24 production UR with white and a yoke. They agreed to get me THAT car.

Vin provided does not match a may24 car and the car I pointed out to them is still listed as available in the system. The vin provided would match a car produced in late feb or early march, around when my original car was produced with all of its various issues. I cannot believe an ultra red could sit in inventory from March until now unsold and pure inventory, as it was not available in any system I saw, so can only assume it is a purchase refusal.

SA put in writing that Tesla always discloses issues and never hides details, I called him out on that and he is now mysteriously not working for two days. Now we are at today.

Way more history. I purchased a blue plaid in march. Drove for just a few weeks (while in the shop a few times for initial teething, alignment, paint, hatch alignment, dirty interior, issue in carbon fiber, noise). It started collecting water "somewhere" to the point it sounded like an aquarium moving around when driving. They didnt know what caused it, was sent to the body shop. It has been there ever since.

They offered a buyback, verbally. I have asked for the details IN WRITING at least 30 times to different people and that request is ignored. Car is still in body shop and they wont pay me back until after the car is released from the shop as per corporate. My state doesnt care, 30 days out of service = lemon law NOW.

New discounts offered, talked to my SA about could they do a swap and refund the difference (including all taxes etc) they agreed. Still nothing in writing. I found a brand new UR plaid, asked to have to brought to VA. They said sure. Two days later found one local. Asked if it was new or reject, they said new. Went to look, it clearly had paint issues and was shown dirty. I pointed out paint issues that they already knew about from the first attempted delivery and they tried to fix them.

Discovered the issues are NOT fixable without a respray and removed it from delivery, then said no other UR plaids available. I pointed out the original one I asked for, a may 24 production UR with white and a yoke. They agreed to get me THAT car.

Vin provided does not match a may24 car and the car I pointed out to them is still listed as available in the system. The vin provided would match a car produced in late feb or early march, around when my original car was produced with all of its various issues. I cannot believe an ultra red could sit in inventory from March until now unsold and pure inventory, as it was not available in any system I saw, so can only assume it is a purchase refusal.

SA put in writing that Tesla always discloses issues and never hides details, I called him out on that and he is now mysteriously not working for two days. Now we are at today.
Wow….

@WilliamG

Tesla has been building the MS since 2012, over a decade ago, yet here we are.

I remain gobsmacked at what Fremont ships to service centers expecting them to sort out the problems, when, in many cases, disassembling the car for repairs in the field makes things far, far worse. (Ask me how I know . . . .)

This is a depressing tale, BUT I would strongly suggest reconsidering your decision to sell TSLA shares as your example is an outlier. The Law of Big Numbers suggests that you are an edge case, an anomaly. In the years ahead you will greatly live to regret such a rash decision.

It occurred with someone else at the Investor's Forum here some years ago--why repeat that disaster?

Reactions: jebinc and gaswalla
Interesting you bring up an Ultra Red Plaid out of Tysons…

I was there yesterday and on my way out, I saw a tech driving it out of the service bay. Had all sorts of writing on the windows and stuff. Looked like he was about to take it on a test drive.

Tell me about your buyback. How did you approach them about it? I have a vibrating Blue Plaid. Also delivered in March and it’s been in and out of service over a dozen times now.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot