Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Release Cycles & Potential Refresh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Does Tesla release upcoming year model vehicles in the "September-ish" time from like traditional auto manufacturers? I ask because I've been reading some of the recent rumors where there may be a slight redesign for the 2017 year model.

Thoughts?

Nope, Tesla continually improves. We have no idea when the next redesign is.

Understood but do they release model year vehicles annually and if so, when does that typically occur? For example, most all of the major auto manufacturers released their 2016 variants in the fall of 2015 and that's what I'm trying to determine. Design refresh cycles are a different animal which typically occur at 5 or 6 year intervals.

Understood but do they release model year vehicles annually and if so, when does that typically occur? For example, most all of the major auto manufacturers released their 2016 variants in the fall of 2015 and that's what I'm trying to determine. Design refresh cycles are a different animal which typically occur at 5 or 6 year intervals.

That's what the "Nope" is for.

Tesla does a lot of engineering changes weekly. Sometimes new stuff pops into cars announced. There is no "cycle".

A late 2015 "model year" Tesla may be identical to an early 2016 "model year" Tesla. And both may be different from a mid-2016 "model year" Tesla. Which may be different again from a late-2016 "model year" Tesla.

So, are all of the new vehicles being sold right now considered 2015's?? Wouldn't that severely cripple the depreciation value later this year?

If you ordered a car right now (or even back in December) and it started production after 1/1/2016, you'd have a 2016 "model year" vehicle. So the vehicles being sold right now are likely 2016, not 2015. Unless you're talking about inventory cars that were built last year.

Yet another reason why I leased...I don't have to care about this nonsense. LOL

I guess that if there would be facelift, that’ssomething Tesla would want to celebrate as an event. How have such updates beenannounced in the past? Was there a date communicated when a presentation willbe held (e.g. 2 weeks in advance) so that press and other people could plantheir trips accordingly? Or how did that usually happen?

I guess that if there would be facelift, that’ssomething Tesla would want to celebrate as an event. How have such updates beenannounced in the past? Was there a date communicated when a presentation willbe held (e.g. 2 weeks in advance) so that press and other people could plantheir trips accordingly? Or how did that usually happen?

Great question, I'd like to know as well.

Since the car has only been in production for a little over 3 years they've never done a refresh on the body design. We have no history to guess how they'll approach it.

Probably the biggest announcement thus far was the Dual Motor / Autopilot....I believe there was a cryptic tweet by Elon letting us know there'd be a huge announcement about a week prior.

I'm of the belief that we'll see spy photos well in advance of a "refresh", but what do I know?