Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

We bought our SR+ this June from Vancouver, and LOVE it! In 6 months we are likely to relocate from Canada to Switzerland.

Anyone with good info or advice in terms of shipping and drivability would be much appreciated! (Safety, cost, charging)

Thank you!

Generally, you can import a car duty free after 6 months.
Importing a car - Hello Switzerland

I saw several Tesla S. Just check whether your Tesla is sold in CH.
Where are you going to move? Given the quality of roads driveability in general will be good. Please note, most people in CH switch to winter wheels in the winter.
Not sure about the chargers. If you are going to rent you need to check out first whether home charging is possible.

Generally, you can import a car duty free after 6 months.
Importing a car - Hello Switzerland

I saw several Tesla S. Just check whether your Tesla is sold in CH.
Where are you going to move? Given the quality of roads driveability in general will be good. Please note, most people in CH switch to winter wheels in the winter.
Not sure about the chargers. If you are going to rent you need to check out first whether home charging is possible.
Thanks! We would be in Ticino. Am familiar with the roads; yes winter tires lol no kidding, so much snow and steep roads. I saw they have 2 superchargers now in Ticino, fantastic.

Teslas in the EU use a different charger port than in North America. The standard for Superchargers and other public fast charging over there is to use the CCS Type II plug. This is also different than the CCS Type I plug in North America (that currently does not have an adapter for Teslas either). You can do AC charging through a series of adapters I believe.

There was more discussion here:
What would happen, if you'd take a US Tesla to Europe or Asia?

The thread also indicates your radio, navigation, cell service, etc., would also not work properly. I think the general consensus is that you are better off selling your car here and re-buying in Europe.

Reactions: BlackEagle
Teslas in the EU use a different charger port than in North America. The standard for Superchargers and other public fast charging over there is to use the CCS Type II plug. This is also different than the CCS Type I plug in North America (that currently does not have an adapter for Teslas either). You can do AC charging through a series of adapters I believe.

There was more discussion here:
What would happen, if you'd take a US Tesla to Europe or Asia?

The thread also indicates your radio, navigation, cell service, etc., would also not work properly. I think the general consensus is that you are better off selling your car here and re-buying in Europe.
Thanks for sharing the link and your info regarding Model 3s in Europe! Yes, I guess you are right; it looks like (for now) selling here and buying new one in CH is best option.