Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Remote Start" without cellular signal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks,

This issue came about recently after getting the car for whatever reason, but has been persistent since.

While my wife is at work, the car is parked in a somewhat rural area that has poor cell reception (it's 5 minutes outside of town). I assume due to this, it is often difficult (usually impossible) to wake the car remotely to preheat it before leaving. This is especially important due to all the Winter issues the car can have.

Does anyone know of any way to get some sort of "remote start" functionality for the climate control in areas with poor cell signal, including if purchasing additional hardware would somehow help? This isn't a camping trip once per year thing, this is daily life where not everywhere has fantastic cellular coverage.

Note: This happens at home occassionally too. I've found I can click the "Unlock" button on the persistent notification on my phone to get it to wake when just opening the app doesn't work, but this isn't working when it's parked at my wife's work.

"...after getting the car for whatever reason,". Never heard before it being put that way.

You might talk to your cell carrier and see if a cellular booster is available for that area. Then buy it and plug it in near the car.

You might talk to your cell carrier and see if a cellular booster is available for that area. Then buy it and plug it in near the car.

Which would be absolutely useless.

Your ability to remotely interact with Tesla's is based on either Bluetooth radio (upto ~100 feet), or AT&T's service availability. Which is known to be spotty.

If there is no AT&T service in the parking lot, it does not matter how good your cell phone's reception is (different carrier, or better antenna), the car won't respond. That is EXACTLY the problem I have in my garage, and my work garage. Yep, the two places the car is parked ~98% of the time. Fun, indeed.

Reactions: petit_bateau
If you were in the US, I'd suggest a "microcell" (technically a femtocell) that plugs into a network connection and creates a small area of cell service around it. Plugged into a window near that car, that should extend service. However, it appears Canadian carriers do not offer them for whatever reason.

You could install a cell signal booster or repeater on or near the building. However, I think the best option may be to just walk out to the car about 15 minutes before leaving and just manually turn on the heating functionality via the dash. Not the most convenient, but certainly the least expensive.

Is charging available at the building? If so, the car should be awake, in which case getting it to join local WiFi (perhaps installing an outdoor WiFi antenna or placing one near a window) would probably do the trick. If charging is not available, I don't see the benefit to preheating the car beyond a few minutes of comfort when you get in. Yes, it will help with regenerative braking, but unless she is going down some massive hills on the way home, she'll burn far more energy than you'll get by having regenerative braking available.

As far as I know, there's really no other benefits to preheating the car unless she needs to stop at a supercharger on the way home.

has anyone actually been able to remotely connect to their car from their phone when the car is NOT on lte and is only on wifi?

to me, that sounds very risky. wifi is notoriously hard to fully secure. and there's no telling what path is taken when YOUR wifi is what is connecting your car to the public net.

if I was tesla, I'd only allow LTE in for remote control.

hoping this is what tesla actually did. anyone ever try it with wifi?

Extra info if you don't feel like reading the below: talking about the car's reception (not phone), in Canada, cannot be plugged in, cannot be connected to WiFi, yes this is a first world problem but the question stands for the $75k car.

"...after getting the car for whatever reason,". Never heard before it being put that way.

After re-reading, that sentence was a bit of a dog's breakfast as well :D if it was unclear, I meant to say it worked fine for a few weeks and has been a problem ever since.

Hadn't thought of a booster. No idea how they work, but I assume it needs wall power which would be a problem. Will look into it.

Not sure if that will exactly work. My assumption is that you'll need a cell booster for the cellular system the car uses. Since the OP is in Canada, that will probably be Rogers but don't quote me on that.

Yes exactly, for the car. Smartphone has spotty but seemingly better connection in the same area, despite being the worst phone she's had so far in terms of reception. Speedtest seemed to indicate it was using Bell FWIW.

If you were in the US, I'd suggest a "microcell" (technically a femtocell) that plugs into a network connection and creates a small area of cell service around it. Plugged into a window near that car, that should extend service. However, it appears Canadian carriers do not offer them for whatever reason.

You could install a cell signal booster or repeater on or near the building. However, I think the best option may be to just walk out to the car about 15 minutes before leaving and just manually turn on the heating functionality via the dash. Not the most convenient, but certainly the least expensive.

Is charging available at the building? If so, the car should be awake, in which case getting it to join local WiFi (perhaps installing an outdoor WiFi antenna or placing one near a window) would probably do the trick. If charging is not available, I don't see the benefit to preheating the car beyond a few minutes of comfort when you get in. Yes, it will help with regenerative braking, but unless she is going down some massive hills on the way home, she'll burn far more energy than you'll get by having regenerative braking available.

As far as I know, there's really no other benefits to preheating the car unless she needs to stop at a supercharger on the way home.

Huh, hadn't heard of these femtocell things. Interesting.

Walking out works most times, but not if the car is frozen solid due to it's California-climate inspired design choices that require preheating the car for 30 minutes before you can even more a door handle. Being completely honest, least expensive isn't the goal. It's a $75k car. If something like the $200 Tesla fob would solve this, it would be an instant buy for us.

Charging not yet available, and even if it was it wouldn't be allowed on the work WiFi network (to make a very long story short, this is fair and agreeable).

The goal of preconditioning the car is twofold: Comfort, and actually getting into the car if frozen. So for most times when it's just for comfort, yes a few minutes of being uncomfortable could be tolerated, but... also would be preferable if our previously-mentioned $75k car could have a reliable "remote start"! Bearing lack of comfort that I didn't have to with previous vehicles that were half the price isn't something I had in mind, quite honestly. First world problems, eh?

has anyone actually been able to remotely connect to their car from their phone when the car is NOT on lte and is only on wifi?

to me, that sounds very risky. wifi is notoriously hard to fully secure. and there's no telling what path is taken when YOUR wifi is what is connecting your car to the public net.

if I was tesla, I'd only allow LTE in for remote control.

hoping this is what tesla actually did. anyone ever try it with wifi?

I think I've done this on Vancouver Island (WiFi but no LTE). However I'm not sure I see the risk. They're using TLS and hopefully up to date on modern practices in dealing with it to prevent attacks like SSL splitting (if this weren't the case, it would be extremely easy bounty money at one of those hacker conferences in which Tesla participates). Additionally, you can't connect to most public networks anyways since they have login pages that Tesla doesn't yet support.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
If there is better coverage from a different carrier, does Tesla allow swapping SIM cards? I had home alarm with poor cellular coverage, so they sent me a new SIM with a different carrier and it helped. One can try to contact a carrier and ask them to installer equipment for better coverage as well.

Hey folks,

This issue came about recently after getting the car for whatever reason, but has been persistent since.

While my wife is at work, the car is parked in a somewhat rural area that has poor cell reception (it's 5 minutes outside of town). I assume due to this, it is often difficult (usually impossible) to wake the car remotely to preheat it before leaving. This is especially important due to all the Winter issues the car can have.

Does anyone know of any way to get some sort of "remote start" functionality for the climate control in areas with poor cell signal, including if purchasing additional hardware would somehow help? This isn't a camping trip once per year thing, this is daily life where not everywhere has fantastic cellular coverage.

Note: This happens at home occassionally too. I've found I can click the "Unlock" button on the persistent notification on my phone to get it to wake when just opening the app doesn't work, but this isn't working when it's parked at my wife's work.

Yes, cellular only.
Winter issues? Just because the car may have limited regen isn't an issue.

how can tesla trust my network? even if it uses ip addr's and not dns names, I can redirect routing any way I want in my network.

I know that some cars have policy set that LTE is incoming and outgoing but wifi is outgoing, only.

VPN tunnels. It’s all certificate authenticated. Doesn’t really matter what the underlying transport is - you have to assume it’s dirty.

This is a useful thread. I have the same issue at my cottage, which lacks cell coverage. Almost couldn't get the car open the last freezing rain. I think I can park near our weak wifi, or move the extender nearer where I park. Would like to know if wifi-only works for remote management.

Thanks!

Lol.
Micro cells work by broadcasting a cell signal and then trunking it back to the carrier over a wired Ethernet connection. They don’t just make cell service using magic and unicorns.

In other words, not particularly useleful inside a car parked in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:
how can tesla trust my network? even if it uses ip addr's and not dns names, I can redirect routing any way I want in my network.
Why would Tesla trust your network? The car communicates with the mothership over a vpn tunnel with both client and server side certs. Strong encryption + mutual authentication = transport via carrier pigeon for all I care. Do whatever you want with IP addresses and routing. All that does is break the connection.

Reactions: camalaio
If there is better coverage from a different carrier, does Tesla allow swapping SIM cards? I had home alarm with poor cellular coverage, so they sent me a new SIM with a different carrier and it helped. One can try to contact a carrier and ask them to installer equipment for better coverage as well.

Interesting idea, funny enough we've had all three available carriers over the years here. Bell and Telus seem about equivalent, so I'm fairly sure swapping carriers would be of no use. Rogers basically has no signal in that area.

I like the idea but the problem is more our population density plus mountains. It's a theme rather than an isolated issue if that makes sense. As another user pointed out though, you could even experience this in a parking garage (or as we say in Canada, parkade :) )

Yes, cellular only.
Winter issues? Just because the car may have limited regen isn't an issue.

I should've clarified. Freezing doors, handles, etc. so one cannot enter the car are the problems I mean. Honestly we've gotten over not having regen, though she does in fact head down a long hill on the way home and could technically benefit from it, but at least some is available.

Extra info if you don't feel like reading the below: talking about the car's reception (not phone), in Canada, cannot be plugged in, cannot be connected to WiFi, yes this is a first world problem but the question stands for the $75k car.
The fundamental problem here is you’re asking how to connect to the car over a network without connecting the car to a network. That’s not gonna work, ever, and it’s not Tesla’s fault no matter how much the car costs.

The only reasonable option I can think of is if there is a third party cell provider that works in the area better than the car’s connection, you could get a WiFi hotspot for that carrier, leave it in the car, and then connect the car’s WiFi to that hot spot.

Inelegant, might not work, lots of potential problems if you’re looking for a reliable solution. But again, you need a network - and unless you’re going to erect your own cell tower in the area, you don’t have a lot of options here.

Here is a improbably long term solution to your long term problem.

You _might_ get some traction calling up your cellular provider and complaining about the coverage in the location. Don't talk about the car, tell them you have spotty coverage on your cell phone, and be sure to assert that you are outside (no cell provider will care if your coverage is weak indoors).

It worked for me - I shamed Telus into increasing their coverage where I lived.
It only took a year :-/