Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote Starting Model 3 From The App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the new app.The remote starting works within the app without a fingerprint scan.Did the remote start work with or without the finger print scan within the old app ? I cannot remember.Also is it safe that remote starting overrides pin to drive ? Surely pin to drive can be entered in the app somewhere for remote starting ?

You would need to unlock your phone to use the app, be that via pin, fingerprint, face recognition, so would seem a bit redundant to have another pin?
If the phone happens to be unlocked (as mine often is) click on the app and remote start and drive …I thought the old app had finger recognition for remote driving within the app perhaps I am mistaken!

If the phone happens to be unlocked (as mine often is) click on the app and remote start and drive …I thought the old app had finger recognition for remote driving within the app perhaps I am mistaken!
You are correct. The old app did require fingerprint or password in Android. It does seem they've reduced security. Maybe they figure if the device is set up with phone as key, it didn't really matter but there are still lots of S and X out there without that functionality.

Yep I agree. This does look to have changed functionality.

I get the argument that the phone is unlocked anyway, but many apps have the option for a second authentication. A scenario is when you've lent your phone to someone to make a call, or the kids are using the phone to watch YouTube. That second in-app authentication can be essential.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I don't understand what you mean by "start". My car is always on. What are you starting? This is not an ICE car.

Of course you can't get inside without a key card (if you locked it) or a fob. But with a fob, you just walk up, the door handles present, and viola! And having the door handles present does not mean you're starting the car. More like, "The mirrors unfolded". But it still doesn't "start".

Maybe folks do it differently in your shire.

• Disagree
Reactions: IAmNotARobot
I don't understand what you mean by "start". My car is always on. What are you starting? This is not an ICE car.

Of course you can't get inside without a key card (if you locked it) or a fob. But with a fob, you just walk up, the door handles present, and viola! And having the door handles present does not mean you're starting the car. More like, "The mirrors unfolded". But it still doesn't "start".

Maybe folks do it differently in your shire.
If unlocking the car manually with a phone, you still had to enter a password, use a fingerprint or a face ID to enable keyless driving on cars without phone as key (or when using a device not configured as phone as key). Now you can just tap the start button in the app without any additional authentication.

Screenshot_20210910-180320_Tesla.jpg
Screenshot_20210910-180112_Tesla.jpg

IMG_20210910_181135.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Irata
Also note that this thread is titled Remote Starting the Model 3 From The App. This functionality can be used to start the car remotely. Imagine you don't have a key fob or key card and your phone is dead. You can call someone using another phone and they can unlock the device remotely and enable keyless driving.

In the past, the app required authentication. Someone could use their phone and have access to the Tesla app and still not enable keyless driving unless the authentication was used. Now the authentication is no longer required.

That’s on you - not keeping your phone secure. It’s no different from leaving your “key” available
But in the past, it was secure. Imagine having a teenager with a cellphone and giving them access so they could see the car location so they could easily find you when picking them up. In v3, they would be able to see car location but wouldn't be able to drive the car with their device. In v4, they could.

Reactions: MrBadger
Also is it safe that remote starting overrides pin to drive ? Surely pin to drive can be entered in the app somewhere for remote starting

We recently had an issue with our car - the screen was blank. One of the things that might have saved us was remote starting of the car, and had Pin to Drive been required to be entered (which it would have been) on a non functional screen, it would have blocked that get our of jail free card. Unfortunately in our case the problem was more serious than a dead screen, so it wouldn't have worked anyhow, but a potential useful override via the app if needed in the future.

Last edited:
On one occasion I drove our Daughters Model X in America where her fob was nearby when we set off but not in the car.
When we reached the destination I realised the mistake but a simple call to my Daughter and she enabled start via the app. Very useful and since that time I have done the same for her with her car enabled on my phone - once from the UK!

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
The new app seems to have lost the option to switch on fingerprint control.
Correct.I still believe however that if a second key phone holder has access to the start function but did not have access to the pin to drive four digit code then they theoretically could not start the car remotely (wherever the car maybe) without me giving (or allowing) that code to them.Useful to have pin to drive active within the remote start function,I think,more of a safety feature than anything else.