Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

remove sway bars after installing coilovers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More than likely you’ll need to replace the stock bars to maximize the setup. But as a long-time former racer I urge you to take one step back and make sure you buy coil overs from a manufacturer that specializes in coilivers for your application and has proven race results to back it up. Not all coil overs are created equal.

If you buy coil overs from the right shop they will be able to advise you on the bars too.

Also note that, most likely, installing coil overs will move you to a more expensive class. Anything other than a “stock” class can get very expensive, very fast. The more mods that are allowed the more expensive it gets...

More than likely you’ll need to replace the stock bars to maximize the setup. But as a long-time former racer I urge you to take one step back and make sure you buy coil overs from a manufacturer that specializes in coilivers for your application and has proven race results to back it up. Not all coil overs are created equal.

If you buy coil overs from the right shop they will be able to advise you on the bars too.

Also note that, most likely, installing coil overs will move you to a more expensive class. Anything other than a “stock” class can get very expensive, very fast. The more mods that are allowed the more expensive it gets...

Already put wider rims on which technically kicks me out of my class! And yea coilovers is pretty much the maximum class for a model 3, most likely will get the MPP or UP ones (aka KW / Ohlin pretty reputable)

If you are autocrossing the car then you want a lot of roll stiffness so get aftermarket bars in addition to the coilovers.

It seems this car could use a thicker/stiffer bar, or a smaller front bar. The car pushed hard last time I was out, and I had a tough time rotating it.

Definitely do not remove the sway bar(s). UP has a nice, affordable set.

It was recommended to me by other people who autocross a lot: that having a strong coilover system would give me more than enough grip on each tire, and with stiff enough springs prevent roll. At that point a sway bar is just unloading the tire you actually want loaded for maximum grip? Supposedly.

It was recommended to me by other people who autocross a lot: that having a strong coilover system would give me more than enough grip on each tire, and with stiff enough springs prevent roll. At that point a sway bar is just unloading the tire you actually want loaded for maximum grip? Supposedly.

I really don't think that's the case here. I have 800lb springs in the front and 1000lb springs in the rear. Car handled noticeably worse without a front sway bar. That may hold true for a Miata, or other light cars, but the Model 3 is a piggy.

Here is a comparison from stock (top photo) to MCS Coilovers + UP Sway Bars (bottom photo).

AqhPlUkn48UJQhJZcP-a-SozOCkpRxRR7SyRnvBt21kXePgCnOmifquig8k8Q60_Tu1EnU5DshcrOH8Q-E_TTBLXkAsaTEwa-0p_ypG8RQWfVO8Kw3U0kKpgj5B7Lyl7zj60Zac3VLY2pYGp-XEQhnNrEe3KUSJRtFkUkTyX8hW1nq0BqiLJ1ZxlwgXwYJRQBc2KxRV4Q4Qett3uVbFac-QuSbbxuJGUcelOtqZU46srqIerzNa-YKFykqikAOW2O1NEBibcwDjP4SyTRl4wLR1aWsUidjf_22mi5x0OWW-Ot0Zth14aN953LhPBeX4sAcIR5PRMbTyelXcBGoLZoeWUIanEm_HmZBGJa_ZNRcCD64wM4AFi9w1kGaTxllKVSlM0WbMi-eiduYXlShhYEiRcjI3hZXuLEKa1oN6YcBua9pK02YuU7MstOhMQ2v366rbGMr61n-Z6jXtS-M9s1AMa18Rt_GUUPVJ4ZgwB5FsAuZT9eW9X2BNHij_y9qjk2GEAmN8_oC6IUzC4VLnJc7R0RjCcSIXaSZEmoNnfHEXvfH4WQlFFLoImsogdMYmzJ1isiT4wxDMCp8uJdG75b8j6w3Bu0UUnANLqObqjV1xvsxsFkQyxTJehbFAl6P8rv8OtCniowOv0wwgRmHaax9DtikOmnCv5YHDeXCqSPDzJfx95aYCNryk=w1083-h1297-no

Reactions: SD_Engnr