Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

removing MY side mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That reminds me, do the side view mirrors point down automatically when backing up? That’s one feature I liked on some of the cars I’ve driven. I used to think I could drive vehicles without side view mirrors before but I use them often for backing up and lane changes. I can do without the rear view mirror but I need side views with low latency. It doesn’t matter if it’s a camera with screen or an actual mirror as long as it’s on the side and I can see past the C pillar.

That reminds me, do the side view mirrors point down automatically when backing up? That’s one feature I liked on some of the cars I’ve driven. I used to think I could drive vehicles without side view mirrors before but I use them often for backing up and lane changes. I can do without the rear view mirror but I need side views with low latency. It doesn’t matter if it’s a camera with screen or an actual mirror as long as it’s on the side and I can see past the C pillar.
Yes, they both tilt down when backing up.

Reactions: Whtrbt7
Yes, they both tilt down when backing up.
If you enable that setting, which is on by default. There was a bug in that routine a while back where the mirrors did not return back to its original position, after a few iterations there was some drift with the mirrors looking downward and you had to re-adjust them. I ended up turning off this feature due to this and I guess I need to re-enable it again since that issue was fixed. The best mod I made to my MY was to replace the side mirror glass with wide angle version from Suma. So much better coverage.

Reactions: Whtrbt7
If you enable that setting, which is on by default. There was a bug in that routine a while back where the mirrors did not return back to its original position, after a few iterations there was some drift with the mirrors looking downward and you had to re-adjust them. I ended up turning off this feature due to this and I guess I need to re-enable it again since that issue was fixed. The best mod I made to my MY was to replace the side mirror glass with wide angle version from Suma. So much better coverage.
Use this feature daily with no issue. May want to try again.

Nice tip. Is there a lot of magnification on the Suma ones? I love wide view mirrors.

Nice tip. Is there a lot of magnification on the Suma ones? I love wide view mirrors.
I think so, but that is just my opinion. Definitely a big improvement over the stock ones, very hard to miss something now if properly adjusted. And when I get my Teslogic adapter and software up and running, I will also have green turn indicators on the app screen that turn red if Tesla's system detects something in my blind spots, so an extra layer of help there straight ahead like the MS/MX second screen instead of having to glance at the main screen. If you have not read through the Teslogic thread or visited their web page, might be worth a look. You need to watch their YouTube video to see the turn signals and blind spot detection stuff, they never posted pictures of that on their page for whatever reason. That was the deciding factor for me.