Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renew your EV Road Tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can use the online system with the V5C Document Reference number any time and if it is before the 5th of month that will be current until previous month. After the 5th day of month it will run from the next whole month until the current month end next year. No need to SORN.

My tax is due end of this month, I re-taxed it using the reminder online, The confirmation confirms my tax starts from 1st April, so perhaps the way to do it is not use the reminder letter? - and tax it as if a newly acquired vehicle.

For me, i think i will SORN my car in March next year - then a few days later tax it again - seems to be the only way at the moment, unless others know differently?
i just re"taxed" it.
go into gov webpage Tax your vehicle
chose Start Now
Chose NO when asked if you have a reminder letter
Chose V5C option (if you have one)
"tax it"
done

Reactions: Js1977 and Jason71
so for example, my taxation letter is in January

so can anyone explain the process for a five grader?

1. I get my letter in January 2025.
  2. tax it for free in January 2025
  3. Tax it again in March 2025
Do I need to SORN it before re-tax it in March? or what should I do? what is the process?
no you don't need to SORN. you only do that to get a refund and there is no refund here so you just do exactly what you said

My tax is due end of this month, I re-taxed it using the reminder online, The confirmation confirms my tax starts from 1st April, so perhaps the way to do it is not use the reminder letter? - and tax it as if a newly acquired vehicle.

For me, i think i will SORN my car in March next year - then a few days later tax it again - seems to be the only way at the moment, unless others know differently?
You will probably find that if you tax your car in March next year for the 1st of April you will NOT pay the new rate because you are doing it BEFORE the 1st of April. Others disagree. the wording is vague but IF I am wrong and you try to tax in March for the 1st of April and it tries to charge you the new rate all you have to do is SORN your car then the next day re-tax it. since you no longer have tax the start date will now be the 1st of March and you will get it for free.

You can use the online system with the V5C Document Reference number any time and if it is before the 5th of month that will be current until previous month. After the 5th day of month it will run from the next whole month until the current month end next year. No need to SORN.
it will only ever offer a start date of next month if that is when your current VED expires. As for the 5th being a significant day it was at one point but is that still true? I'm not sure if it is anymore?

My tax expires on the 31st March and I got the reminder through last week. I did think when I looked it is there a way to not pay next year. If I renew in March 2025 I guess it will start from the 1st April at the new rate?
It will start from April 1st but whether that will be at the new rate or not is not at all clear. If it is there are ways to shift it to start from 1st of March i.e. via SORN and you can do that right up to the end of March 2025 so basically wait and see what the renewal cost is next year then act accordingly

Reactions: SteveH13
You will probably find that if you tax your car in March next year for the 1st of April you will NOT pay the new rate because you are doing it BEFORE the 1st of April. Others disagree. the wording is vague but IF I am wrong and you try to tax in March for the 1st of April and it tries to charge you the new rate all you have to do is SORN your car then the next day re-tax it. since you no longer have tax the start date will now be the 1st of March and you will get it for free.
I suspect you will, but doesn’t matter much, if that’s what it asks when you come to renew, you could try what’s been suggested and “tax now” which will tax from the start of the current month and not “renew” which is from the start of the next month.

It’s probably worth keeping it in perspective, £15 a month, and while £15 is £15, if you did it in Feb next year go be safe (assuming you don’t do it now, or you change your car during the year), you’ll still get most of the benefit.

Reactions: SiW80