Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renting a Y from Hertz?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve rented from Hertz 3 times, in San Diego and Austin.

Zero problems. Autopilot was not enabled, so I spent some time customizing the menu to my specs.

I was able to pair my personal Tesla key to the car, which was a surprise. That effectively gave me 2 keys in case one was lost.

I deleted it from the car before I returned it. Didn’t want to stir up any trouble.

No, can’t do that. Tesla has to pair your email/login used by your phone app to the car. Still it was a surprise that Hertz lets people clone the key to other key cards.

I wonder what kind of road assistance would be provided by Hertz or any rental company?

In particular in case of flat tires, as Tesla Service Centers might be able to provide a loaner wheel,
while using a standard towing company, in case of a damaged flat tire, will tow you to a tire shop,
who might have to order a new tire.

I wonder what kind of road assistance would be provided by Hertz or any rental company?
Hertz supplies a phone number to call in case of lockouts, run out of gas/energy, flat tire, etc. I've needed that once, and they had someone on the scene relatively quickly. I haven't needed it with a Hertz EV rental yet.

Saw the Hertz CEO on CNBC a couple of months ago, and he said the maintenance / operating costs for EVs were far less than ICE cars. The only exception was they went through tires faster. IIFC the maintenance was about 40% less.

Also, the resale value at 18 - 24 months has been superior to ICE cars as well. That's a huge factor in rental profitability, and why Hertz is going all in with EVs.

Reactions: Watts_Up and cdub
I am looking to rent a Tesla (preferably Model Y) and drive it from Portland to SF/Sacramento in June but do I see it correct Hertz doesn't offer one way rentals for electric vehicles yet? Some disappointment ... :-(
Probably can't plan for any charging infrastructure at the Hertz drop off point. They are adding destination chargers at their rental locations but not every Hertz drop off point has them yet.

Reactions: jsight
Probably can't plan for any charging infrastructure at the Hertz drop off point. They are adding destination chargers at their rental locations but not every Hertz drop off point has them yet.
They could offer it between locations that rent them out?
8 years driving a Tesla and I keep being surprised how far the rest of the world is behind...

Reactions: jsight
I am looking to rent a Tesla (preferably Model Y) and drive it from Portland to SF/Sacramento in June but do I see it correct Hertz doesn't offer one way rentals for electric vehicles yet? Some disappointment ... :-(

There are generaly additional fees if you don't return the car at the same location.

A one way flight between SF and Portland can be very cheap (like $50, see Southwest or Alaska)
and to get even a better deal you should try flying from Oakland airport.

Can you start one day earlier your trip so you could pickup the car from what will be your return destination.
Renting a car for 5 days costs the same than for a full week when you reserve at least two weeks in advance.

Is it the first time visiting this area? There are a lot of scenery to visit if you have time when you have a car.

There are generaly additional fees if you don't return the car at the same location.

A one way flight between SF and Portland can be very cheap (like $50, see Southwest or Alaska)
and to get even a better deal you should try flying from Oakland airport.

Can you start one day earlier your trip so you could pickup the car from what will be your return destination.
Renting a car for 5 days costs the same than for a full week when you reserve at least two weeks in advance.

Is it the first time visiting this area? There are a lot of scenery to visit if you have time when you have a car.
I have some flexibility in my itinerary yes so am looking now to change my flights and picking up the car either in SF or Portland and dropping it off at the same location - gives me a choice between Hertz and Turo.

It's indeed my first time in this area (well first time that I have some spare time as well), any suggestions what to visit are more than welcome!

By the way - none of the Hertz cars have FSB beta I assume ?

It's indeed my first time in this area (well first time that I have some spare time as well), any suggestions what to visit are more than welcome!

Best is to look at Youtube, you will find tons a videos recommending various locations to visit depending yours interests.
Mount St. Helens for example is not too far from Portland. Otherwise Mount Rainier National Park, or all the area around Seattle,
and if you have more time the San Juan Islands or even up to The Buctchar gardens, Victoria, BC.

I don't believe so, to use FSD you need to agree to the Beta software status,
and I doubt that Hertz give you any access, you cannot either use your Tesla App.

Maybe some Turo could provide FSD, but Turo cars in general are a quite pricey.

For Supercharging you cannot use your own Tesla account, and you will be billed by Hertz when returning the car.

However, you can charge at Public L2 chargers, using your phone App, such as Chargepoint, PlugShare, or EvGo.
Also CCS DCFC with Electrify America, but you will need to have a CCS-1 adapter,

BTW, Avis also rent EVs, and may be other rentals like Enterprise but EVS are often classified as luxury cars.

Some rental locations also have the Mustang Mach-E or the Polestar 2, so not always guaranty to have a Tesla then.

If you cannot get an EV, you could get an Audi (some locations have the e-tron) for a very reasonable price using Silver Car.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: robertvg and SO16

I would recommend watching this video about Hertz renting experience.

This video is quite verbose..., you can jump directly to the real content starting at the 27:00 mark of this 32 minutes long video !!!

See the following extract, showing that only Auto Pilot was installed, but not Full Self Driving.

MY Hertz options  .jpg

One point I noticed in this video is that if you plan to take any additional insurance, or additional driver...,
you should select it when reserving the car otherwise the cost will jump quite a bit if you decide to do so when you will rent the car.
Sales persons are always good at making pressure to add extra fee options....

You should in fact check with your car insurance, and also your credit card, if they will cover your rental,

• Helpful
Reactions: robertvg
I’ve rented with Hertz a couple times and absolutely love it, I doubt I’ll rent an ICE car again.

By far the largest annoyance is the keycard and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve almost forgot it or did and had to walk back into my office from the parking lot when I realized the car wouldn’t start. I’ve got to believe there could be some fairly low labor way to integrate into some fleet management system a way to link a reservation to the Tesla app so you can use the phone as a keycard and have the car show up in the app. But obviously when the car is returned have it automatically delete from the app.

Second is I would LOVE if there was a QR code you could scan on the screen to link driver profiles… seat position, log ins for streaming apps, mirror positions, etc. Then Tesla could scoop up some extra money by letting you via the app buy premium data for the car, $15 or something for maybe 30 days of data that could be linked to one rental car at a time but over multiple rentals in a 30 consecutive day period. Tesla gets a little extra compared to the plan that owners pay, but it’s cheap enough that I think every rental customer would sign up for it.

Both of those things should be “easy” additions via software and would bring a *huge* amount of what makes Tesla special back during the rental experience.

I’ve rented with Hertz a couple times and absolutely love it, I doubt I’ll rent an ICE car again.

By far the largest annoyance is the keycard and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve almost forgot it or did and had to walk back into my office from the parking lot when I realized the car wouldn’t start. I’ve got to believe there could be some fairly low labor way to integrate into some fleet management system a way to link a reservation to the Tesla app so you can use the phone as a keycard and have the car show up in the app. But obviously when the car is returned have it automatically delete from the app.

Second is I would LOVE if there was a QR code you could scan on the screen to link driver profiles… seat position, log ins for streaming apps, mirror positions, etc. Then Tesla could scoop up some extra money by letting you via the app buy premium data for the car, $15 or something for maybe 30 days of data that could be linked to one rental car at a time but over multiple rentals in a 30 consecutive day period. Tesla gets a little extra compared to the plan that owners pay, but it’s cheap enough that I think every rental customer would sign up for it.

Both of those things should be “easy” additions via software and would bring a *huge* amount of what makes Tesla special back during the rental experience.

I rented a 3 in Chicago a couple weeks ago. Not having app access is PIA. This is something that Tesla should work on with the rental companies as it will definitely help market the vehicles for potential future Tesla owners. The QR code seems like an easy implementation..

The card in the large case is also annoying. The first thing I did was program my key card to the rental which is always in my wallet and just left the cased key card in my hotel. I do have a Model 3 key fob I bought when it first came out - I never use it now but will try to remember to bring with me next time I rent a car so I can use the fob to lock/unlock without needing to go to the door pillar. Just remember to delete the card before returning the car.

I rented a 3 in Chicago a couple weeks ago. Not having app access is PIA. This is something that Tesla should work on with the rental companies as it will definitely help market the vehicles for potential future Tesla owners. The QR code seems like an easy implementation..

The card in the large case is also annoying. The first thing I did was program my key card to the rental which is always in my wallet and just left the cased key card in my hotel. I do have a Model 3 key fob I bought when it first came out - I never use it now but will try to remember to bring with me next time I rent a car so I can use the fob to lock/unlock without needing to go to the door pillar. Just remember to delete the card before returning the car.
I'm sure Telsa will eventually add functionality to allow renters to use the Tesla mobile app.

The card in the large case is also annoying.
For years Hertz would steel cable tie both key fobs together for their ICE cars so you couldn't have a backup one or give the 2nd one to a travel partner. Annoying to carry both fobs in a big heavy keychain 'cluster'. Hertz didn't care and said they can't keep track of both keys if they weren't tied together.

I'm sure Telsa will eventually add functionality to allow renters to use the Tesla mobile app.

Especially since this function is already implemented.

I can add another driver using my Tesla account, so when renting a car it would be very simple to automatically add or remove a driver.

I imagine that you lose your card, Hertz would be able to remotely let you start the car? Or would you need to call Tesla road service instead?

Especially since this function is already implemented.

I can add another driver using my Tesla account, so when renting a car it would be very simple to automatically add or remove a driver.

I imagine that you lose your card, Hertz would be able to remotely let you start the car? Or would you need to call Tesla road service instead?
Hertz can (should), though someone on a facebook group just had a huge issue and had to wait for an employee to come out (hours) because the car was in a parking garage and didn't have signal, so the Hertz remote unlock never reached the car...

They gave me a Tesla with 25% charge on a RWD M3. I had two appointments I needed to go to that were both a distance and the Supercharging was a pain.

I also wanted to charge it at my house and not spend the money at the charger, so that did not work out either.

They charged me $139 for tolls for places I did not go. That was for 6 days. I called their provider and they said they would fix it and as of now, I still have the bill.

I was happy to have a Tesla over an ICE though.

Reactions: cdub and jsight