Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renting a Y from Hertz?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Renting a Y now and trying to leave Hertz. Car is in valet mode and they don't know the pin to get it out.

Also didn't have the charging cable but they gave me a Volvo one.
"The first time you enter Valet mode, you will be prompted to create a 4-digit PIN that you will use to cancel Valet mode."

I guess they didn't do this when they onboarded the car new. Disappointing. (Did you try "0000" like Kanye lol)

"You can also use the mobile app to start and cancel Valet mode (provided Model 3 is in Park). When using the mobile app, you do not need to enter a PIN because you are already required to log into the app using your Tesla Account credentials."

Should they not have the car on their "account" somewhere?

Reactions: Olle
Renting a Y now and trying to leave Hertz. Car is in valet mode and they don't know the pin to get it out.

Still waiting for them to figure out pin. Accidently got put into valet mode by mistake and of course one of our bags got put into frunk which and we can't open it to switch to another Tesla. Fun fun

• Informative

For the charging cable issue I think they only came with it if they came with it from the factory when Hertz took delivery. At least that's what Avis told me, and I assume Hertz probably isn't spending $500/car to add that cable when most people probably will be at a hotel when renting...

Valet mode is really odd... I thought my car was locked down with a PIN so you couldn't put it into valet or open the glove box etc...

I would suggest getting Tesla and not General Motors on the phone ;)
Ha. General manager. But it's all fixed now. Not hitting that button again.
For the charging cable issue I think they only came with it if they came with it from the factory when Hertz took delivery. At least that's what Avis told me, and I assume Hertz probably isn't spending $500/car to add that cable when most people probably will be at a hotel when renting...

Valet mode is really odd... I thought my car was locked down with a PIN so you couldn't put it into valet or open the glove box etc...
It was supposed to have the cable. The case was there. No cable.

I rented from Hertz in June and couldn’t find the J1772 adapter. The glovebox had a PIN so I couldn’t look there.

Need to add “Check car for charging cable and J1772” to my travel checklist.

Reactions: Olle and cdub

Mobil charging cable costs $230.

Just saw this post that when a loaner was unlocked with the keycard there was the possibility to add the car to the Tesla app.
Others confirmed they had the same possibility with a Hertz rental.
That would solve one of the most heard complaints😊
That would be awesome. Wish they had that a few months ago when I was in a Hertz MY for 20 days.

Just booked an Y at Hertz. Absolutely a screaming deal at $600 for the week. Cheaper than their equivalent ICE vehicles. Gas savings on top of that. Unless they rip me off on the supercharging and road tolls :eek: like they did with some of you guys. I'll report back in case anybody is interested.
View attachment 944335
I am wondering why it says 303 mile range. I booked the long range, which has 330 standard and 318 with black rims. 303 is Performance. Do you think that's what they'll give me?
We have now finished the rental, here is the report:

The rental clerk was pretty blasé and told us that the car was 30 minutes late. We asked to speak with the manager and then the car was suddenly available immediately.

It was a 2022 Y with 20k miles and 20" induction wheels. It worked flawlessly the whole trip. It was clean and the only damage at pick up was curbed wheels. I'm totally fine with that.

The rear tires were down to their wear ribs at 2/32", 1.6 mm, which I think is the legal limit in many states. Could be dangerous at speed in heavy rain. Unfortunately I didn't notice it until after pick up, otherwise I would have rejected the car.
The range was impressive for 20k miles, with almost no degradation. 310 miles at 100%, vs 318 new.
1690216434765.png
Remarkably good, especially if assuming that renters don't always baby the battery.

I haven't gotten the bill for road tolls and supercharging yet, but since I read that it can be sketchy, I will report back if there are any surprises.

The rental clerk was pretty blasé and told us that the car was 30 minutes late. We asked to speak with the manager and then the car was suddenly available immediately.

It was a 2022 Y with 20k miles and 20" induction wheels. It worked flawlessly the whole trip. It was clean and the only damage at pick up was curbed wheels. I'm totally fine with that.

The rear tires were down to their wear ribs at 2/32", 1.6 mm, which I think is the legal limit in many states. Could be dangerous at speed in heavy rain. Unfortunately I didn't notice it until after pick up, otherwise I would have rejected the car.
The range was impressive for 20k miles, with almost no degradation. 310 miles at 100%, vs 318 new. View attachment 959224Remarkably good, especially if assuming that renters don't always baby the battery.

I haven't gotten the bill for road tolls and supercharging yet, but since I read that it can be sketchy, I will report back if there are any surprises.
Every time I've rented the default charge level has been 100%... only once did I pick up a car that wasn't fully charged (it was like 96%). These cars probably take a hard hit on the batteries and I've been impressed with the range as well...

The range was impressive for 20k miles, with almost no degradation. 310 miles at 100%, vs 318 new. View attachment 959224Remarkably good, especially if assuming that renters don't always baby the battery.

Should also mention that return was a breeze. The clerk had checked the car in before we even had gotten our bags out, so we could go to the terminal without spending any time on formalities.

I had bought the $35 option for leaving the car with >10% instead of the standard >70% charge. For a road trip, that's the one add on that's actually worth something IMO. Especially if you are driving into a big airport, it might take considerable time to get to one more supercharger at the very end of a trip and then charge high enough to still arrive with >70%. Not to mention that 60% supercharge would cost around $15, so you're really only paying $20 for the service.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdub
Update for us. We're able to charge just fine at the cabin using the Volvo plug and adapter they gave us with car. I had to get a better extension cord though as the one we had said voltage drop detected charge rate reduced.

I got a "medium duty" cord and it worked just fine.

There's actually a supercharger in town now in Minocqua, WI which is pretty cool. Figure I'd save some bucks though and trickle charge while I'm here but it's nice to have the option.

I just need to remember not to hit the shiny valet button. 🤣 Stopped putting stuff in the frunk too. That was crazy. They still didn't tell us what the code is. It could be 6969 but the guy said they unlocked remotely almost the same time I tried and I'm not about to put it into it again to try.

So far it's going great. Next I need to get all three of my kids in the back (15, 12, 9) and see if they like it.

Literally the 40 thousand dollar question. (Price dif between this and a R1S) 🤣

Reactions: jsight and Olle