Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repair a broken HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ended up sending my HPWC to Tesla Electrical - Circuit Board Repairs they replaced the SW82-312 and its as good as new, with a very fair price of $200.

Good to know, there's some repair service working on these.

I have a Gen 1 UMC that just stopped working, I wonder if there are any easy fixes for this? The contactors no longer trip over.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Thanks for the info!

I got a reply back from Albright directly. It is indeed a 240v coil, DC. I measured the resistance on mine and it is in spec.

Type : SW82-312

Coil Voltage (V) 240 CO DC

Coil Resistance (Ohms) 7000

Pull In Voltage (V) 170.0 Maximum

Drop Out Voltage (V) 60.0 Maximum

Coil Power Dissipation (W) 8.23

Additional Features:

DUST SHIELDS FITTED.

2126-48A TOP HAT MOUNTING BRACKET KIT FITTED TO LHS OF COIL TERMINALS.

All figures above are stated at 20 degrees Celsius.

I need to get brave enough to hit it with 240v DC to see if it clicks, but I suspect it will. Time to dig deeper.

Thanks for the info!

I got a reply back from Albright directly. It is indeed a 240v coil, DC. I measured the resistance on mine and it is in spec.

Type : SW82-312

Coil Voltage (V) 240 CO DC

Coil Resistance (Ohms) 7000

Pull In Voltage (V) 170.0 Maximum

Drop Out Voltage (V) 60.0 Maximum

Coil Power Dissipation (W) 8.23

Additional Features:

DUST SHIELDS FITTED.

2126-48A TOP HAT MOUNTING BRACKET KIT FITTED TO LHS OF COIL TERMINALS.

All figures above are stated at 20 degrees Celsius.

I need to get brave enough to hit it with 240v DC to see if it clicks, but I suspect it will. Time to dig deeper.
I'm 'shocked' it seems to be a 240V DC coil. Not saying it can't be, its just a really strange thing.

Can you not check if it clicks just by plugging it into your Tesla?

Yes, I'm also shocked its 240DC but that is what the spec says and what Albright says.

And yes, I checked for contactor clicking before taking it apart, multiple times. I also checked for voltage on those coil wires but at the time I didn't know what voltage to look for, or if it was AC or DC. I saw neither.

I found this great EVSE tester from a local guy: EVSE J1772 Tester & Simulator DIY Assembly
Could use some polishing and some safety but it works. No action from my Tesla EVSE.

Next step will be digging into the control board in the EVSE to see what is wrong.

I "tickled" the contactor with 200v DC and it actuated, so I'm now thinking the contactor is fine and it is something else on the board that has failed. Probably another little relay that activates the contactor. If anyone has a schematic on this thing please let me know.

Took out relay in preparation for the new one:

i-74GtjTW-X5[1].jpg