Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repair Estimate - TARS Claims I am Required to Repair All the Parts Approved by Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will try to make a long story short - Incurred a little damage to the front end. Hood, Bumper, Nosecone, Headlamp. Mostly scratches but the hood is slightly bent and needs replacement. Insurance has approved everything and has issued a payment directly to me for full estimate amount (About $9,200) minus deductible.

So we are okay living with the minor scratches, but only want to fix the hood (about $2,000 with labor). The Tesla Auth Repair Shop is telling me I am required to repair everything that is listed on the insurance claim per Tesla. Tesla has this policy in place to prevent insurance fraud.

Has anyone encountered a similar situation? I assumed that once my insurance company paid out the claim to me, they wouldn't care if I decided not to fix all or part of the damages. I'm a little skeptical. Would appreciate feedback from anyone who has encountered a similar situation with Tesla repairs. Thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: Reekdog
I don't think you are required, you were paid for the damage.
Personally I would push back against the shop and have them do the work I want them to do.
If I can live with the scratches then it's my choice to do so.

Edit: It's not insurance fraud, the damage is there, you were paid for it.
TARS are the ones commuting insurance fraud by charging up the ****ing ying yang for repairs.

Reactions: Vitold
Suppose you only do minor repair and leave the scratches in place. Then, let’s suppose you get in another accident. How is the insurance company going to know that those old scratches were new or old? I can’t see how this is the concern of the body shop, however. And that damage you described, should not alter your warranty. So I would assume you should be able to have it fixed anywhere you want, assuming you can get a replacement hood.

Will try to make a long story short - Incurred a little damage to the front end. Hood, Bumper, Nosecone, Headlamp. Mostly scratches but the hood is slightly bent and needs replacement. Insurance has approved everything and has issued a payment directly to me for full estimate amount (About $9,200) minus deductible.

So we are okay living with the minor scratches, but only want to fix the hood (about $2,000 with labor). The Tesla Auth Repair Shop is telling me I am required to repair everything that is listed on the insurance claim per Tesla. Tesla has this policy in place to prevent insurance fraud.

Has anyone encountered a similar situation? I assumed that once my insurance company paid out the claim to me, they wouldn't care if I decided not to fix all or part of the damages. I'm a little skeptical. Would appreciate feedback from anyone who has encountered a similar situation with Tesla repairs. Thanks.

Find another shop and pay cash. The first shop is tainted as their prices are driven by the fact that insurance paid up in full. I always take the payout and then go to a shop that I know and trust and pay cash for fraction of the amount of the payout. It isn't insurance freud.

Also, if you're not having any body parts replaced, then you can go wherever you like. There are lots of shop that know how to paint aluminum long before the model s ever came out.

I would suggest another shop like others did (and you don't have to mention the insurance payout, but treat it like out of pocket). If the insurance company issued the check to you directly, it is your choice of how to use the money (unless you signed an agreement with conditions on how to use the money; check your paperwork).

It is not insurance fraud because the accident/damage actually happened and the estimate was done by the insurance company (and it was not an inflated number you made up).

The shop you are working with already knows how much you got, so I don't think they will budge.

You are walking in with cash. I don't get their argument. I can see no rationale as to how that would be fraud. You were settled by the carrier. Done and done. The carrier doesn't care. They closed the case and probably got off cheap. Also, does the hood really need to be replaced or could it be reformed? If it's stretched, no. And you may be stuck because who else makes a Tesla hood at this point? Ummm... nobody.:(

I will tell you, I am so careful with my car for just this reason. And I thank the lucky stars that some moron has not plowed into me. Some of the repair costs that I have seen are incomprehensible. I have become Mr. Risk Averse, which is probably good, just a lot less fun.

I hope it works out for you as you want.

Also, does the hood really need to be replaced or could it be reformed? If it's stretched, no. And you may be stuck because who else makes a Tesla hood at this point? Ummm... nobody.:(

/QUOTE]
Yeah, the hood has to be replaced since it's part of the crumple zone, so I may have to use a TARS. I am going to try and contact Tesla directly to clarify. Will keep you guys posted with what they tell me.

Good luck. You'll get it solved. Try moving up the food chain. And one hint I have: be really friendly, nice and appreciative. I am amazed at how well I have been treated doing that. They have gone waaay out of their way to meet my every single need. I have nothing but the highest praise for Tesla service. Honestly. They have bent over backwards for me multiple times.

Steve Jobs actually had a decree at Apple that was essentially, give the a-holes nothing, give the nice guys everything. And Tesla mimicks Apple in so many ways.